Mellot Programmer
Posted on: 10/14 7:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1092 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hey everyone,

yesterday I went on Twitch and programmed a simple UI interface for Kevins cart programmer. Sources and binaries are attached to this post.

Cheers

Attach file:

zip MellotProgrammer.bin.zip Size: 6.37 KB; Hits: 24
zip MellotProgrammer.src.zip Size: 5.01 KB; Hits: 19

Re: Mellot Programmer
Posted on: 10/15 3:54
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
266 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Thanks Thunderstruck!

It's two t's. Mellott. :-)

Posted on: 10/15 23:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
542 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
All Hail Thunderstruck! Thanks for making this!

Posted on: 10/16 8:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1092 Posts
Quote:

mellott124 wrote:
Thanks Thunderstruck!

It's two t's. Mellott. :-)

It's actually named after Alphonse Mellot:
http://www.mellot.com/presentation/pr ... .php?srub=2&LangueSite=en

Lovely place.

Posted on: 10/17 5:09
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
126 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Thanks so much for making this! It looks like it will be super useful to the more terminal ignorant among us. So I poked around in the source code and it looks like this program will act in lieu of a separate terminal program (as opposed to being a GUI frontend for a terminal program that one must first launch or install)? My question itself probably exposes my ignorance about how this interface works, so thanks for bearing with me.

Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Hey everyone,

yesterday I went on Twitch and programmed a simple UI interface for Kevins cart programmer. Sources and binaries are attached to this post.

Cheers

Posted on: 10/17 20:40
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1092 Posts
Quote:

astro187 wrote:
...it looks like this program will act in lieu of a separate terminal program...

yes, you don't need the terminal if you use this.

Posted on: 10/17 20:43
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1092 Posts
The other day I remembered that the programmer can output SRAM and ROM content to the command line. So I figured I could simply read that data and output it into a file. So you can now Receive the ROM and RAM from any cart using the USB connection. It takes a bit longer though.

New version is attached.

Attach file:

zip MellotProgrammer.(1.0.0.1).bin.zip Size: 93.41 KB; Hits: 14
zip MellotProgrammer.(1.0.0.1).src.zip Size: 95.81 KB; Hits: 16

png  screen.png (40.68 KB)
1709_5bc7833f20956.png 566X663 px

Posted on: 10/18 19:39
Joined 1/1
6 Posts
Looks great. Thanks alot for sharing it! :)

Posted on: 10/20 6:12
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
126 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Ok, so I finally got to trying this out tonight and I'm stuck on step one :\ My programmer starts up and I get the "VB Cartridge Programmer" message on the unit's screen but when I start Thunderstruck's program, nothing is in the drop-down (i.e. no "COM3") so I can't connect. What do I need to setup in advance? I noticed that it is shown as an unrecognized device and failed to install any drivers when I plugged it in. I'm running Windows 7 if that matters in the troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So I open up Device Manager and see that I have no COM ports shown at all. So I install a default one and try to set the settings you suggest, but it has pre-set bit rates and you specify the terminal program uses 500000 Baud. And I'm too dumb to get a clear answer on how to convert 500000 Baud to a bit rate so I'm dead in the water again. Or maybe I was barking up the wrong tree in the first place with this approach.
Edited by astro187 on 2018/10/20 6:49

Posted on: 10/20 9:20
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1092 Posts
Quote:

astro187 wrote:
Ok, so I finally got to trying this out tonight and I'm stuck on step one :\ My programmer starts up and I get the "VB Cartridge Programmer" message on the unit's screen but when I start Thunderstruck's program, nothing is in the drop-down (i.e. no "COM3") so I can't connect. What do I need to setup in advance? I noticed that it is shown as an unrecognized device and failed to install any drivers when I plugged it in. I'm running Windows 7 if that matters in the troubleshooting. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So I open up Device Manager and see that I have no COM ports shown at all. So I install a default one and try to set the settings you suggest, but it has pre-set bit rates and you specify the terminal program uses 500000 Baud. And I'm too dumb to get a clear answer on how to convert 500000 Baud to a bit rate so I'm dead in the water again. Or maybe I was barking up the wrong tree in the first place with this approach.

You shouldn't need to set anything up. It should aromatically detect it. As soon as you connect it there should be an entry called "Ports (COM & LPT)" and "Arduino Mega 2560" underneath. If it doesn't show up maybe try a different USB cable or USB Port.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post