Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

interesting Galactic Pinball VidPro insert card
Posted on: 2016/1/13 11:18
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Freshly added to my collection, is this very interesting Galactic Pinball VidPro insert card. This card has a unusual design compared to the Virtual Boy VidPro cards that we know of (like the Panic Bomber one for example). We all know VidPro cards were used in stores to allow customers to look at the front and back of a games box without actually touching the games box, and thats where this card gets even more interesting.

It has a completely different game play image of Galactic Pinball compared to its retail version. Grab your copy of Galactic Pinball and check it out for yourself! It's even missing the games model number wich should appear above the barcode.

Could this card possibly be a prototype / preproduction of the Galactic Pinball VidPro card that we know of pictured on this site?

Does finding this card suggest the existence of other VB VidPro cards of this nature, with different in-game images compared to their retail versions?

Attach file:

jpg  VB VidPro insert cards 1.jpg (615.27 KB)
8015_569623aebb37e.jpg 1668X1344 px

jpg  VB VidPro insert cards 2.jpg (649.66 KB)
8015_569623c3b510a.jpg 1749X1316 px

jpg  GALACTIC PINBALL VidPro insert card variant 1.jpg (618.30 KB)
8015_569623d75694b.jpg 1339X2002 px

jpg  GALACTIC PINBALL VidPro insert card variant 2.jpg (769.83 KB)
8015_569623fee48b1.jpg 1344X2027 px

jpg  VBGP VidPro variant in-game image.jpg (386.38 KB)
8015_56962414153d7.jpg 1283X1142 px

Re: interesting Galactic Pinball VidPro insert card
Posted on: 2016/1/13 22:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1146 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Is that a picture from Space Pinball? The score text looks way bigger than the final version, I think (you'd think I'd remember, I played it like 2 days ago..gonna have to check again).

Posted on: 2016/1/15 8:52
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Is that a picture from Space Pinball? The score text looks way bigger than the final version ...

It's definitely not space pinball. I noticed that the puck counter thats supposed to be under the score is missing. And what the heck are all those artifacts under and around the UFO? Stars? Meteors? Did they snap this photo just as the opening title sequence to the UFO stage was happening?

Even looking at this card in person it's hard to tell.

I also noticed that the tube the puck shoots through is missing on the retail version. Pretty strange.

Posted on: 2016/1/16 0:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Very nice find! It's amazing how scarce the Virtual Boy VidPro cards are. Practically impossible to find any of them these days. Probably because all of them were thrown away and/or burned, unfortunately.

Yeah, VidPro cards were definitely made a good while before the release of the games they show, especially since the legendary Dragon Hopper VidPro card is known to exist. Thus, one might expect more VidPro cards to show screenshots of games, which later got changed for their final versions.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 11:52
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
Very nice find! It's amazing how scarce the Virtual Boy VidPro cards are. Practically impossible to find any of them these days...

Thanks! Yeah VB VidPro cards are crazy rare! Probably impossible to collect a full set. Unless someone stumbles upon a new unopened box of them, collecting them one at a time will take many many years...

Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:
VidPro cards were definitely made a good while before the release of the games they show...

Looking at this card now, I can see that it seems as though it was so early in production, that the overall layout of the front of it, later became the final layout for the back of the VB VidPro cards that we're familiar with. With the Virtual Boy logo at the top, followed by a picture of a games box, and then the black rectangular text field with white text being changed from a games title, to the slogan "3-D Technology puts you in the game!"

Oh, looking at this Panic Bomber card reminds me...

Ever notice how the back of the PB box, refers to the Dracula boss as Count Dracu-"Doom" but in the actual game his name is Count Dracu-"boom"?

Attach file:

jpg  VB VidPro insert cards 3.jpg (503.61 KB)
8015_569cc36e22f71.jpg 1817X1344 px

Posted on: 2016/1/18 17:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

vuefinder83 wrote:

Ever notice how the back of the PB box, refers to the Dracula boss as Count Dracu-"Doom" but in the actual game his name is Count Dracu-"boom"?

Interesting. So the open question would be: Was it a last minute change of name by the developers, or just a typo on the back of the box? Since the "Doom" name appears on the commercially released box, I guess I'd have to lean towards the typo answer. Even if that's the case, though, it could still show that the "Doom" name was discussed as a possibility among the developers.

Posted on: 2016/1/18 20:37
Joined 2016/1/16
7 Posts
Collection Top10 2ndLong Time User (3 Years)
Nice Pictures!

Posted on: 2016/1/18 20:48
VB Gamer
Joined 2016/1/18
USA
38 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

sjp2 wrote:
Nice Pictures!

Agreed

Posted on: 2016/1/22 7:55
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

Nanis149 wrote:
Quote:

sjp2 wrote:
Nice Pictures!

Agreed

Thanks guys! These next ones might suck though :P
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:

Interesting. So the open question would be: Was it a last minute change of name by the developers, or just a typo on the back of the box? Since the "Doom" name appears on the commercially released box, I guess I'd have to lean towards the typo answer. Even if that's the case, though, it could still show that the "Doom" name was discussed as a possibility among the developers.

I agree. Most likely a typo since it only appears on the box. This was just something that I noticed a long time ago and finally found a chance to bring it up.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the VB VidPro cards measure just under 5 inches wide and just under 7 inches high, so they can fit nice and snug in the actual 5x7" clear pockets of a Pocket Plak System.
The only picture of these clear pockets that I can find, was from a Pocket Plak System dedicated to the SEGA Genesis. It should still give you a good idea of what they looked like.
(The picture was already blurry to begin with so please excuse the poor quality)

Attach file:

jpg  VidPro -1.jpg (88.90 KB)
8015_56a1d1eeeb303.jpg 1592X412 px

png  5x7'' VidPro Pocket Plak System -1.png (189.61 KB)
8015_56a1d2171692d.png 646X237 px

Posted on: 2016/3/13 8:40
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Some scans of the Galactic PinBall VidPro Card Variant...

Attach file:

jpg  VIDPRO GALACTIC PINBALL CARD VARIANT 1.jpg (484.98 KB)
8015_56e5194955a40.jpg 738X1014 px

jpg  VIDPRO GALACTIC PINBALL CARD VARIANT 2.jpg (551.93 KB)
8015_56e5195d1c09c.jpg 733X1013 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post