Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Virtual Boy Controller Mods
Posted on: 2013/9/7 23:46
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2013/8/23
USA
301 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Hey everyone- I'm new-ish to the site, but am very impressed with the overall level of enthusiasm and professionalism here. Previously I had been on musician/heavy metal forums but swore them off after the bickering and cattiness got to be too much. This one has restored my faith in using the internet as an informational tool :)

Anyway, my main question is- where can I find info on modding the VB controller to use on other systems? I assume this must be possible if making a USB connection to a PC is. Basically I feel like the VB controller is the most comfortable one on any of my consoles, and would love to mod the cable so I can use it on the N64, NES, SNES, maybe even Atari Jaguar! I know the button configuration will be challenging/impossible in some cases but I'd like to try.

For example- could I make it so the right D-pad is used in place of the yellow C-buttons with N64 games, and maybe the VB select button for the N64 Z button? Obviously A/B/Start/L+R would be the same. Not sure 'bout the joystick...

I hope someone can point to the right place (I couldn't find this info except for some pinouts in the VB->USB conversion). Thanks all,

HPL

Re: Virtual Boy Controller Mods
Posted on: 2013/9/8 0:06
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1118 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hey. I haven't done any controller modding myself. However,the protocol is same as on the NES. You can find some information here: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... t_id=21336#forumpost21336

Some more information can be found here: http://www.planetvb.com/content/downl ... #hardwarecontrolregisters

I would be cool if you post some information about your mods if you make progress. Also... welcome to the community.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 1:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (12 Years) Donator
For some reason..I think a 6 button controller would rock right about now :).

-Eric

Posted on: 2013/9/8 2:07
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
436 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Quote:

For some reason..I think a 6 button controller would rock right about now :).

HADOOKEN!!;)

Posted on: 2013/9/8 2:49
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2013/8/23
USA
301 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Thanks all...I'll check those other sources and start planning things out. A six-button controller would be sick, if the difference is the same as between the Jaguar original and Jaguar Pro especially. VB Pro :). I like pic stories of various projects, so I'll do the same unless something goes horribly wrong.

Posted on: 2013/9/9 10:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Welcome to the forum, HPL!

As thunderstruck mentioned, it's a fairly simple serial protocol to handle. Are you familiar with any type of microcontroller? Just about any device with enough I/O to handle both the VB pad (2 out + 1 in) and target system would make short work of this. The Jaguar might be a little tough; IIRC, it's a switch matrix.

You probably already have this link, but for the benefit of other readers: http://raphnet.net/electronique/electronique_en.php

Keep us posted on your progress!

Posted on: 2013/9/10 0:29
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
I think you can probably use a NES/SNES USB conversion kit from RetroUSB. I bought a couple to try out but haven't had the time to deal with it lately. They used to sell a VB-specific kit.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 6:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
I think you can probably use a NES/SNES USB conversion kit from RetroUSB. I bought a couple to try out but haven't had the time to deal with it lately. They used to sell a VB-specific kit.

He seems to specifically want to connect the VB pad to other game consoles, so this wouldn't really work. Although, with suitable firmware, that would be compatible with the PS3/4 and Xbox/360/One, I guess. I hope you get back to that project, someday; it would be nice to know if it supports the extra buttons on the VB pad. I wonder why they got rid of the VB one...

Posted on: 2013/9/10 18:56
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Whoops, missed that, haha. I get excited sometimes.

Presumably they stopped for lack of sales. I'll e-mail them about a possible re-run... or if they know if the NES/SNES one works.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 20:32
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2013/8/23
USA
301 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Wow, thanks for the replies everyone...I for some reason never noticed these before!! I've been getting around to this project more since my glitchy display tinkering is at a stand-still for a little while heh.

Assume that I know nothing about this controller mod project and that I'm already in way over my head...do I need to do some kind of adjustment to coding or data protocols or whatever? I figured it wasn't as simple as affixing VB wires to NES controller cables, but I read some of the stuff on the links you posted and it's daunting to a beginner like me.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post