Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Collecting Tiger R-Zone
Posted on: 2013/1/8 4:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Well originally I was totally against R-Zone believing it to be a useless console. After buying my first complete NOS R-Zone XPG with Jedi Adventure... I decided to buy a loose console to try it out because online reviews can't show what it's actually like.

After much deciding over the last couple weeks, I have now bought 3 head units (because its cheaper to collect games with consoles) and the NOS XPG.

I now own the following R-Zone games:

Star Wars Jedi Adventure (NOS, so I have no opinion on the game)
Star Wars Millennium Falcon Challenge (Quite fun, has a Vectrex-like feel)
Battle Arena Toshinden (hard to play because I don't have a manual, nor is there one for download)
Primal Rage (Actually pretty cool once you learn the special combo moves)
Batman Forever (Very close to your average Tiger handheld, which is a good thing... Classic)
Indy 500 (Also feels Vectrex-like, standard racing game)

Overall, it's actually surprisingly good; but difficult to collect for because its obscure.

I spent around $80 for it all, which isn't bad but now I have 2 extra head units, which I guess friends could use for play?

I was also able to download a console manual, the Batman Forever manual, Indy 500 manual and Primal Rage manual. The other games sadly do not have them available because they are slightly rarer.

Re: Collecting Tiger R-Zone
Posted on: 2013/1/9 5:20
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
What nobody else curious about plunging into this interesting system?

Posted on: 2013/1/9 5:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
915 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-Zone

I barely remember this system. How are the games? Are you having fun?

Posted on: 2013/1/9 5:27
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Actually they are reasonably fun, especially the racing and fighting games. I really like playing "Millennium Falcon Challenge" and "Primal Rage"!

I could definitely suggest those two games as fun. I currently have 6 games, but all I have played are quite playable and decent.

I also intend to buy the following games:

Area 51
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Panzer Dragoon
Virtua Fighter 2
Edited by Dreammary on 2013/1/9 5:43

Posted on: 2013/1/9 18:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/4/26
USA
937 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterHOTY09 3rdLong Time User (11 Years) PVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I just bought a system about a month ago and now I have Daytona 500 and Virtua Fighter 2. I hope to one day have a complete collection, even though they don't pop up on eBay much. Is there somewhere else I can get R-Zone games?

Posted on: 2013/1/9 22:13
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/23
Great Britain
385 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years) Donator
I have been thinking about system in recent months, i may have to think about it a little harder, see if i can pick up a cheap system and give it a go.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 23:49
Nintendoid!
Joined 2010/10/13
Austria
114 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
I had one with two games (the one with the headstrap) and sold it 2 years ago...
Actually it wasn´t that much fun, since it is kind of a HUD, which lets you see the game only on one screen (right eye). Gave me a hard time playing, it also was to near to my eye and there was no way in extending the distance.

I never played the handheld version - maybe it is better. But when it is for red displays I prefer the VB ;-)

Posted on: 2013/1/10 0:56
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Definitely prolonged play with the head mount requires some pausing. But I really do enjoy playing some games on the R-Zone.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 2:03
Nintendoid!
Joined 2010/10/13
Austria
114 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
What I like with that System is the approach in design and idea. The early 90ies were full of ingenious, crazy and corageous concepts in game design, be it a console or a PC game.

In this regard the R-Zone is truly a child of that era. That´s what I am missing nowadays...although I think that the HUD version of R-Zone is failure in design - since you cannot adjust it if you´re near or far-sighted, which makes it useless to people like me.

But it´s a neat cyberspace gadget kind of game system :)

Posted on: 2013/1/10 15:42
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
I agree the 90s were a great time for creative videogame concepts!

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post