Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Virtual Boy Receiving
Posted on: 2011/2/13 6:29
VB Gamer
Joined 2011/1/8
30 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (8 Years)
I read a topic here about someone attempting to use their Virtual Boy as a 3D/ 2D display from a computer using the link cable port.

I'm thinking of doing something like that when I start doing hobby stuff on my Virtual Boy, except with an RCA cable, and on a homebrew protoboard cartridge.

I think it's possible, isn't it? All we're talking about is an analog-to-digital circuit, aren't we?

Re: Virtual Boy Receiving
Posted on: 2011/2/13 8:45
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Actually, you're referring to the veGL project which makes the VB into a kind of "headache accelerator" for the PC (I kid, I kid!). It doesn't just send video straight to the display (which is impossible without modifying the actual VB unit itself, and would take much more than a simple ADC) but instead commands the VB's CPU to produce images on the VB's display just as a VB game does.

It would be a fairly quick way to test graphics for a homebrew project, but since you need a cart, anyway, you may as well just start dev'ing your project and test on HW periodically.

I don't want to dissuade you from making one, though. I'm sure Alberto would love some outside confirmation that the instructions can be followed successfully by someone other than himself.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post