You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Virtual Boy Blockbuster rentals before launch.
Posted on: 2011/2/8 2:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) Top Donator: 2nd20+ Game Ratings
Call me crazy, but if I recall you could rent VB units shortly before launch and you got some manufacturers discount coupon towards the purchase of a VB.

Does anyone else remember this? If said coupon is already scanned in on this site but I overlooked it, excuse me.

My memory is just too fuzzy on the topic. I definitely played a VB at Blockbuster before I got one, and I did get my VB on launch day at Toys R Us. I'm at least 100% confident that BB had playable display units up for the public prior to the launch date in the US.

On a side note, I am absolutely positively sure that I played Virtual League Baseball at Blockbuster before street date (but not before console launch). It's a shame there are no VLB Carts that say "Demo Only" on them. I remember pre-launch the display unit has Mario's Dream Tennis, and post launch it had Baseball. I also remember the Red Alarm demo carts at Toys R Us post-launch.

However, I have had never played any of the Wario Demo carts in-store. My first experience with Wario was at a friend's house near launch, and his VB made me feel very queasy (Surely focused for/and had his IPD settings).

Re: Virtual Boy Blockbuster rentals before launch.
Posted on: 2011/2/8 3:21
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I don't remember being able to rent or play them before the street date, thought that was quite a while ago... and while I really liked virtual reality, I had no intention of dropping $180 on a VB (I had a hard enough time deciding to split the $10 rental with my friend).

I typically got VG systems several years after they were released, and the VB would have likely been the same, had it lasted that long. When it went on clearance I picked it up with all the games I could find, since the price point was right for a 12 year old kid ;) .

But yes... I remember you got a $10 coupon toward the purchase of the VB when you rented it (basically, free rental).

DogP

Posted on: 2011/2/8 3:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Quote:

DogP wrote:
I don't remember being able to rent or play them before the street date, thought that was quite a while ago... and while I really liked virtual reality, I had no intention of dropping $180 on a VB (I had a hard enough time deciding to split the $10 rental with my friend).

I typically got VG systems several years after they were released, and the VB would have likely been the same, had it lasted that long. When it went on clearance I picked it up with all the games I could find, since the price point was right for a 12 year old kid ;) .

But yes... I remember you got a $10 coupon toward the purchase of the VB when you rented it (basically, free rental).

DogP

Awesome info, thanks. Is the $10 coupon scanned?
I remember even though there was a coupon, my mother was pretty pissy with me and said I couldn't rent it since I was going to buy it. I was also 12 years old at the time and one of those kids with the luck of having a summer B-day.
(Summer B-day, winter Christmas.)
Awesomeness every 6 months.

I was so f***ing amazed with VB. First stereoscopic experience. While it wasn't virtual reality, 'twas leaps ahead of the anaglyph 3D movies I knew all too well. I was so impressed as a 12 year old kid, makes you wonder why we had to wait until I was almost 28 to see stereo again this year on 3DS. I hope it delivers,

Posted on: 2011/2/8 6:35
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
I don't know of the coupon being scanned... I'll bet something like that has a very slim chance of surviving this long.

I agree though... it was amazing, and I played it like crazy for the two days that we rented it for... and I played it every time I went to Electronics Boutique, Toys R Us, and Blockbuster (while it was still on display).

DogP

Posted on: 2011/7/12 0:49
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Morning eBay score!
Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2011/7/12 10:26
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Congrats for another nice ebay score! Hope it was not too expensive. ;-)

I probably should add this to the campaigns section, wonder why it is not yet there.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 19:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2010/2/19
USA
559 Posts
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
Congrats for another nice ebay score! Hope it was not too expensive. ;-)

I probably should add this to the campaigns section, wonder why it is not yet there.

Thanks. If I continue to have good luck on eBay, you'll be waiting a lifetime for scans.

As for the Campaigns, it seems that this coupon is mentioned on most of the Must See 3-D sweepstakes ads (and is even shown in the commercial) so I'd just add the coupon pics to that section.

Posted on: 2011/7/12 22:10
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Oh, you're right, it's exactly the coupon that's shown in the commercial. :-)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post