Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

How to build a game from the source code? Mario VB Question
Posted on: 2010/8/30 20:47

Joined 2010/8/30
-1 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Hello,

I was looking to build the Mario VB 3.0.1 source to the game, since I can't find that version anywhere. I have been able to find 3.0.0 game.

I have downloaded and installed cygwin, and downloaded the latest gccVB 2.95 Pre-compiled version. But I am lost as what to do next?

Do I copy the contents of the gccVB into the cygwin folder? Where do I place the source code for Mario VB 3.0.1 then?

and from cygwin do I just do a makefile that is with the Mario VB?

I am familiar with C and C++ but haven't coded anything recently. Although I am looking to jump back into it.

Thanks!

Re: How to build a game from the source code? Mario VB Question
Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:36

Joined 2010/2/14
USA
-1 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years)
The easiest way to get your dev environment up and running is like this (I'm assuming you are running windows):

1. Download GCCVB compiler
2. Extract all folders/files in the zip to C:\gccvb
3. Download reality boy
4. Extract all folders/files to a directory of your choosing. For easy access I just chose C:\RealityBoy
5. Download programmer's notepad and install it.
6. Now follow the instructions on this page to setup programmer's notepad with the commands for gccvb and realityboy. Make sure to use the same directories you installed them in.
7. Now open up some VB_GAME.c file in programmer's notepad and hit F1 to compile and F2 to run it in reality boy. I'm not sure if it matters, but I keep all of my code inside the C:\gccvb\ folder somewhere.

That should be it! No cygwin, no compiling from source, easy. Now, I'm sure there are some shortcomings to using this version of gccvb, but for me it works fine.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 16:57

Joined 2010/8/30
-1 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Wow, thanks Vaughanabe13 for the detailed instructions, I am using your instructions now.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 17:51

Joined 2010/8/30
-1 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
ok, I was able to build the example and the hello3 examples from the gccvb directory, but when I try to build mariovb (3.0.1) version, I get errors.

The errors are basically where in the mariovb.c file calls other files, for example: line 31 and Line 34 where it calls vbjae.h and objects.h

I'm able to find the objects.h file here:
c:\gccvb\mariovb\game\objects\objects.h

but can't locate the vbjae.h file

I'm almost wondering though, since there isn't a vbh file with the mariovb source, do I have to go the route of cygwin?

I could always ask for someone to build the vb game and send it to me, but I would prefer that I build it myself so I can hopefully get back in the coding game of C, and maybe make some progress on the mariovb game. So that is why I am trying to build the game.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 18:33

Joined 2010/2/14
USA
-1 Posts
Are you saying you don't have the vbjae.h file, or that the compiler can't find it?

Also, did you make sure to use "%d %n" in the Parameters field of the gccvb and reality_boy tools in programmer's notepad?

I'm not very sure about the difference in using this compiler vs. the cygwin + 2.95 approach. If someone else could chime in and explain I would appreciate that as well.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 18:46
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2544 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
There's two ways:

A) Using the older version as Vaughanabe13 described
B) Using newer version like the precompiled 2.95 NVC version

You should definitely go for the second option, because the newer gccVB version are much more advanced. The old one doesn't support interrupts or bitstring instructions for example.

You only have to:
1) Install Cygwin
2) Download gccVB 2.95 prec., unpack it and copy the files to /c/cygwin/usr/

Then to build Mario VB, you only have to execute the following in Cygwin to trigger the make script included in the Mario VB source (for this example, the Mario VB source lies in C:/marioVB/):

cd 
/cygdrive/c/marioVB/ && make

(Everything from memory, might've missed a detail)

Posted on: 2010/8/31 19:07

Joined 2010/2/14
USA
-1 Posts
What link are you using for GCC 2.95? I can only find links for 8.10 or something like that.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 19:18
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2544 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
The "latest version" link from http://gccvb.planetvb.com/.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 19:42

Joined 2007/8/8
Great Britain
-1 Posts
CoderContributorHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (12 Years) App Coder
> can't locate the vbjae.h file

You're missing Jorgeche's vbJAEngine.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 20:53

Joined 2010/8/30
-1 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

KR155E wrote:

cd 
/cygdrive/c/marioVB/ && make

ok, I followed these steps, and I'm getting an error when I run the above command.

bash
makecommand not found

I also did makefile since I saw that file the mariovb folder, but got a similar error.

The mariovb folder is on the root of C Drive, and I fully installed cygwin and then copied the gccvb files to the
cygwin/usr/local folder

Do you guys have any idea why cygwin isn't finding the make or makefile command?

thanks for the help though, I feel as if I am 95% of the way there.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post