Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

ROM Hack Ideas
Posted on: 2009/12/26 8:18
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hey,

I was kinda bored and started thinking about some ROM hacks that could be done w/ VB games. By ROM hacks, I mean adding/changing parts of the game, like levels, not stupid stuff like changing Wario's face to an egg, or plain cheats/change in difficulty, like a faster guy, unlimited lives, etc.

I didn't put much thought into this (as you can probably tell), but here's a preliminary list of stuff I thought could realistically be possible.

3D Tetris - different puzzles in puzzle mode (make a VB rather than a Race Car or something)
Golf - different courses
Galactic Pinball - different tables (although I think there may be too much custom stuff for each table)
Insmouse - different mazes
Jack Bros - different mazes
Mario Clash - different levels
Red Alarm - different levels
Vertical Force - different levels
Baseball - different teams (heh, who cares :P)
Wario Land - different levels

I left some games out either because there's not really much to do with them (like Virtual Lab), or things like different guys in Teleroboxer, which probably have quite a bit of custom code for each character, which would be VERY difficult to change. Most of the stuff I noted would likely have a generic engine with level data (except probably Galactic Pinball).

I don't think all of these should be done either, I was just throwing them out there. IMO, new levels for Wario Land would be the coolest, although I played with it a couple years ago and it wasn't obvious how to do it. A custom Star Wars Death Star level for Red Alarm would be pretty sweet too, and the ability to change styles of ships would be cool.

Anyone have any comments, ideas, thoughts, etc?

DogP

Re: ROM Hack Ideas
Posted on: 2009/12/26 11:29
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2519 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
An editor for Wario Land would indeed be super sweet! One I thought of long ago was turning Jack Bros. into Zelda. That would only need some graphic hacks.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 23:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
It's good to see an actual list laid out like that. By narrowing it down, it makes it easier for someone to pick something to start on.

I like your idea, KR155E, but I think it would take more than "just some graphics hacks" to make a JB Zelda

As for Red Alarm, I'd like to see it hacked into a Zero Racers-type game. I've been wanting to start on something like this (from scratch, not a hack) but I've never liked racing games/flight sims with digital controls, so I'd have to make one of DogP's PSX-pad interfaces (or implement my own analog interface idea) first.

Posted on: 2009/12/30 2:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
PVBCC 1stCoderContributor#3 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
Heh, yeah... Zelda GFX on JB would be cool, but definitely different than Zelda (though if you could remove a lot of walls and maybe make the timer just life, it could be an interesting hack).

I was trying to come up with a way to hack Red Alarm into a racing game, but I just don't think it'd work, since the RA wall collisions (or lack of) would be terrible for a racing game.

DogP

Posted on: 2010/1/15 22:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/1/17
USA
266 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I've always thought a level editor for Jack Bros would be amazing. I think its something that would allow the community to work together. Even people without great coding skill could make levels.

I also think an English translation of Gundam would be very, very nice. I would help.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 4:26
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
I haven't played Gundam in years, but what was in JP? Just the story, right? I don't remember having any problems playing it, though I didn't find the game that fun either (it was WAY too easy IMO).

DogP

Posted on: 2010/1/16 10:39
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2519 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
It's Virtual Fishing that need a translation. ;)

Posted on: 2010/1/17 18:29
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2008/1/17
USA
266 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
i havent played gundam in so long i forgot which language it was in...

Posted on: 2010/2/8 15:04
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/11/10
Great Britain
507 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (11 Years)
Would it be possible to swap the buttons over in Mario Clash, so you can jump with the classic Mario jump button 'A', might make the game less frustrating as it always gets me, I am just so used to pressing A to make Mario jump across all other platforms.

Posted on: 2010/2/8 16:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/25
USA
1507 Posts
That's a good idea... I never really had too much of a problem with it, but lots of people have complained about it... I'll bet it wouldn't be too tough to fix.

DogP

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post