Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

I want in
Posted on: 2006/4/18 7:20
Joined 2006/4/18
2 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
An introduction post:

I was surprised to learn that a Virtual Boy community like this exists (though knowing the web, I shouldn't have been) and even further surprised that there were actual homebrew developers around. The Virtual Boy is a truly mysterious piece of hardware to me, and I think it's really great that there are people still invovled with this esoteric bit of videogame history.

For my part, I have never actually played a Virtual Boy, let alone owned one, but I now plan to order one off eBay as soon as is practical.

What I was wondering is if I could be of any real use to the scene in general. To be honest, I don't know much about it other than what I've read on this webpage and these forums and I'd be happy to learn more. I've been wanting to work on a homebrew project for a long while but I've had underwhelming experiences with some Gameboy Advance developers. The Virtual Boy seems like it would be a really unique platform to work on.

Anyway, as for what I can do, I'm an experienced pixel artist and not inexperienced with programming (not that this means I'm knowledgable or skilled). You might look at a game I've done with Game Maker called FlapFlapFlap though it shows neither skill to great effect. I can also send any interested parties some of my work if they like. Too bad I seem to have lost the Virtual Boy game mockups I did long before I knew of this site.

So, yeah, basically what I'm asking is; what is everyone doing and can I help?

Re: I want in
Posted on: 2006/4/18 14:24
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/7/27
Australia
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp Coder
Its always great to see another new face in VB devving.
Unfortunately we all seem to be on hiatus at the moment.

Last I heard, DogP was working on a SMB-style Mario game, I was working on a port of the NES Zelda, and KR155E may have been working on updating Blox.

...But we haven't touched any of it in ages. I'm surprised KR155E even upgraded this site...

...If anything, I would like to have stereoscopic versions of the old NES gfx for Super Mario Bros/Lost Levels, Zelda, Metroid and possibly Kid Icarus. Right now I'm using basic parallax effects, but that only goes so far...

We usually hang out in IRC EFNet #virtualboy, although even that has gone quiet of late...

I'm afraid the VB scene is slowly dying...

Posted on: 2006/4/18 15:20
Nintendoid!
Joined 2005/10/25
Great Britain
123 Posts
It is sad that the VB dev scene is dying. I thought Kr155E's Silent Hill idea looked really good.
I have tried to learn some programming skills, but unfortunately my brain just can't do it. I can't draw either, but what I can do is make music for any VB games in development. I'd be happy to help anyone =)

Posted on: 2006/4/18 17:18
Joined 2006/4/18
2 Posts
The Silent Hill thing looked pretty great actually. A good platform for it too. Anyway, it is sad that the scene is apparently dying (I was wondering about the thin post count) but for a system which has already been defunct for years it's sort of strange that it could just end. After all, it's not like the system is going anywhere.

Quote:
...If anything, I would like to have stereoscopic versions of the old NES gfx for Super Mario Bros/Lost Levels, Zelda, Metroid and possibly Kid Icarus. Right now I'm using basic parallax effects, but that only goes so far...

How's that?

Posted on: 2006/4/20 16:55
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2003/7/27
Australia
267 Posts
CoderLong Time User (15 Years) DonatorApp Coder
Right now my Zelda port uses gfx straight from the NES, with simple parallax added. It looks like something from a popup book, rather than the 2 screen stereoscopic feel of most VB games.
Problem is I'm crap at graphics, and wouldn't know how to accurately translate them into 3D anyway...

Posted on: 2006/4/21 19:58
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/3/15
Ecuador
234 Posts
PVBCC 3rdCoderLong Time User (13 Years)
Hi, im actually working on a platform game... well actually i only have somo sort of technical demo using the sprite engine i've working on and a very simple 3d engine too... at least the 3d and stereoscopic math is already done and right but i don't know who to post the demo.

Posted on: 2006/4/22 0:02
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
hmm. if you want to release it, you can send it to me and i'll put it on the site.

Posted on: 2006/4/24 17:56
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/3/15
Ecuador
234 Posts
PVBCC 3rdCoderLong Time User (13 Years)
ok, i will send my demo to you but i have a doubt, i have used some pictures from mario rpg and super mario world for test... will i have some kind of trouble because of this???

Posted on: 2006/4/24 18:27
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
i doubt that nintendo would take any action because of this. nah.
oh when you send it to me could you include a small description and general info? thanks.

Posted on: 2006/4/26 20:50
Joined 2006/4/26
2 Posts
Hi everyone, im new here.

But basicaly love the virtual boy. And very interested in the homebrew side. I have no skills as programer or any such nonsense :D but am interested in paying for and buying said products, did anything happen with the silent hill project in the end? is it still canned? that looked AMAZING i would be SO up for that.
So yeah im in if there is still any life in it, tho from past posts on this site it doesnt look hopeful.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post