Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Mednafen + iPhone + Duet + Google Cardboard + VB controller to USB
Posted on: 6/30 5:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/2/25
15 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
I've been playing around with how to recreate the VB experience on more modern equipment and came up with the combination in the subject. It works surprisingly well. I want to get it all running off a raspberry pi and make it portable eventually. Duet runs on Windows too so someone could give that a whirl as well. If I get bored, I might give it a try.

The bottom line is if you want to get the real 3D feel in emulation, it is possible!

Recipe:

Mednafen in split-screen mode
iPhone running Duet screen extension software (side card might work for newer phones)
Google Cardboard or any phone-based 3D viewing device - I've got a Viewmaster one here that I might cut a hole in for the cable. It's mostly red and black, which is fitting. I had to add a headband to the Google Cardboard unit.
VB controller - for the authentic feel, but honestly, any controller mapped correctly will work.

I had it working with a laptop and could have gone full portable, but the screen shuts off when I close the lid. Software-based display doesn't quite cut it, I guess. :)

I'm going to try and get an appropriate small HDMI screen and keep exploring, so I won't need to use the phone.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has been messing around with a setup like the above.

Some pics for the interested. Imgur Album

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post