Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Hunt for Dragon Hopper?
Posted on: 4/21 0:58
Joined 2019/6/22
5 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about this as I'm sure many of you have for years now. I was wondering if there's a trail of leads people have followed to try and find this game. I wasn't around when Bound High or the Faceball prototype resurfaced, but I find it so fascinating.

I'd be interested, if others were, to start a systematic approach to try and find every lead or at least coalesce what likely fruitless attempts have already been made. I know this is pretty unlikely to yield anything but the hunt is always fun I think. Anyone down for some organized work?

Re: Hunt for Dragon Hopper?
Posted on: 4/22 4:55
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/10/2
130 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (13 Years)
Maybe 15 years ago, there was a claim by someone that they knew the publisher of a gaming magazine who had received a copy of DH in exchange for putting some other Nintendo game on the cover of his mag one month. A few of us got together and pursued that lead - we asked the middleman to talk to the publisher about it. We told him that, given that the game was supposedly on a proto board, it should be copied onto something more stable to preserve it. The offer was made to send him the equipment to make a copy, and let him keep the copy. The priority was just preserving it with no commitment to share it. The response from the middleman was that the owner of the game wasn't interested.

Frankly, I got the impression that the middleman was full of crap - there was no DH. But who knows?

Posted on: 4/22 11:29
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
454 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Here is a lead, might not get you DH but it may get you other VB games. There is a game called Virtual Racing that is out for 3ds if you could contact them in Japanese you may get info on how they got the programming for Zero Racers. You may find other info as well. Unfortunately I can't find my 3ds so I can't give you the name info on the programming house but at least I got you the name of the software.

Posted on: 4/22 17:19
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2539 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Some years ago, I found the personal website of a Japanese game developer who claimed to have worked on Dragon Hopper. After my own attempts to get in touch remained fruitless, I asked a native Japanese speaker to try their luck and send a message. Haven't heard of them anymore afterwards, I think, and the website no longer exists.

Posted on: 4/23 8:40
Joined 2019/6/22
5 Posts
I can't seem to find this Virtual Racing game, but I have heard of it before. Do you have a link to the specific game?

Posted on: 4/23 17:14
Virtual Freak
Joined 2008/4/23
Great Britain
78 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years)
VectorRacing perhaps?
https://www.arcsystemworks.jp/arcstyle/overseas/vectorracing/eng/

Though I don't see how it relates to VB other than visual similarities.

Posted on: 4/23 17:31
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
454 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
by Dave_ on 2020/4/23 11:14

VectorRacing perhaps?
https://www.arcsystemworks.jp/arcstyle/overseas/vectorracing/eng/

Though I don't see how it relates to VB other than visual similarities.

Let's see, It's made of vectors like red alarm. and it has a fog like system know for in the n64 and the Virtual boy. and it's half finished there is one track of music for the whole game. Not only that there is a feature that allows you to use red as the only color...Huh somethings fishy.

Posted on: 4/30 0:10
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/11/9
Venezuela
136 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreLong Time User (7 Years) 90+ Game Ratings
I really hope someday we can all see at the very least gameplay footage from Dragon Hopper that's not from the E3 1996 showcase... :(

Posted on: 4/30 4:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2308 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
For Dragon Hopper, I'd be satisfied if just the whole original story of the game got released. It was probably written all out at some point, and just getting those notes would be great.

Posted on: 5/5 10:14
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
418 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
I wondered if this might yield something:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1 ... -hack-on-broadon-servers/

They're calling it the biggest leak Nintendo has faced.

Looks to be mainly GCN era though, VB might just be too old by this point.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post