Re: Thunderstruck quits VB development
Posted on: 4/5 19:15

Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
-1 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

drlivingston wrote:
Long time lurker, but just had to respond after seeing some discussion regarding this.

No one holds the IP rights on these games in the community beyond the actual 100% developed home brew titles, those I agree should have authors permission to sell.

However no one in the community holds the distribution rights to the patched/hacked roms, in fact all files have been generously made available for free.

I don't see how anyone can be mad at a seller who is selling the carts with the roms, they have as much right to distribute them as Thunderstruck or anyone else (which is no legal right).

I understand time was spent translating, and it's of course appreciated however again no one but the original publishers (many of who still exist and defend their IPs) have the right to distribute and profit off of in anyway.

Lets be real here, is Taito ok with copys of Space Invaders being produced and distributed for $100? This entire thing could go a much different way if angry people start reaching out to IP holders in an attempt to get rom distribution and creation just shut down altogether putting this site itself in jeopardy for hosting such files.

It's very childish and somewhat odd to try and strong arm the community into attacking a seller by stating they will leave forever.

I get your point. I guess you have to be in my position to know how it feels. I’m actually not trying to get anyone to attack him or anything. I’m a 100% sure he will not stop selling my games. He claimed he’s doing this in the interest of everyone and I should be graceful. So I gave him a choice: free games for everyone or some money for him.

Posted on: 4/5 19:23

Joined 2019/1/27
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Well I know this won't be popular, but no I won't try and convince you to not quit. Feel free.

What games exactly is he posting that YOU 100% entirely made of your own accord? I consistently see these projects where something was translated, something was hacked, something borrowed assets from legally released or in the case of Bound High unreleased games. In particular recently there was Space Invaders hacking peoples picture and name into the thing, a little tweaking here and there, but basically the same expensive Japanese only release being sold for profit.

That makes you a hypocrite. You really can't have it both ways complaining about someone else making profit off games they don't have a right to be selling while you do the very same.

Posted on: 4/5 19:27

Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
-1 Posts
Quote:

VmprHntrD wrote:
Well I know this won't be popular, but no I won't try and convince you to not quit. Feel free.

What games exactly is he posting that YOU 100% entirely made of your own accord? I consistently see these projects where something was translated, something was hacked, something borrowed assets from legally released or in the case of Bound High unreleased games. In particular recently there was Space Invaders hacking peoples picture and name into the thing, a little tweaking here and there, but basically the same expensive Japanese only release being sold for profit.

That makes you a hypocrite. You really can't have it both ways complaining about someone else making profit off games they don't have a right to be selling while you do the very same.

Yeah, I suck. Sry

Posted on: 4/5 19:31

Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
-1 Posts
Everything is gone. Goodbye everyone.

Posted on: 4/6 4:32

Joined 2012/11/9
Venezuela
-1 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreLong Time User (7 Years) 90+ Game Ratings
Screw that guy who pirated your stuff. It's too bad you had to leave the Virtual Boy scene after this but i hope you're doing well in what life departs you next thunderstruck... :(

Posted on: 4/6 10:02

Joined 2019/6/8
-1 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Everything is gone. Goodbye everyone.

I would urge you to reconsider. You put time and effort into these projects for a reason...such actions by this company are almost a form of flattery in my opinion as it shows a desire for your hard work in a broader spectrum.

Perhaps you can put into place a system for manufacture/distribution of these items for the community in a way that you are comfortable with.

Just spitballing here but I just received a cartridge programmer from Kevin Mellot and I'd be more than happy to participate in making cartridges and getting them to anyone interested at cost. I know there are likely others who possess the programmers that would be willing to commit to the same if it means keeping you in the game and undercutting this dishonest company. If you are interested make sole distribution of your works, we all respect that too!

We got your back Thunderstruck!

Posted on: 4/6 17:24

Joined 2019/1/27
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

KGRAMR wrote:
Screw that guy who pirated your stuff. It's too bad you had to leave the Virtual Boy scene after this but i hope you're doing well in what life departs you next thunderstruck... :(

So it's ok to pirate, but not to be pirated? Ever think this may just be an excuse for wanting to stop but not look like quitting so you pass the buck? It has been done for decades in emulation circles online to the point it became a cliche.

I take it if someone turned him into Taito that actively still sells Space Invaders for his $100 personalized game carts using their IP you'd be furious at Taito and the snitch instead of the thief? It would seem so with that leap in logic.

Posted on: 4/6 18:06
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
I think you've missed the point entirely...

Just a couple things:

1) Thunderstruck was way more in depth then just sprite swaps and rom hacks. He did have original games and software tools to help make games. One of those games (Fishbone) was for sale on that site. Some games he made which were not original, though he had to build from scratch (Snatcher etc.). They have been great additions to our library. There were many other little odds and sod hacks thrown in, yeah, but his scope was wide. Those of us who appreciate the VB are very grateful for his contributions, big and small.

2) Thunderstruck openly stated any profit he made on that one run of carts he made himself, were going toward future VB projects. This in turn makes them not personal profits, but community profits.

3) This was never about the fact that someone was selling repros of his work. It was to do with how it was done, and the lack of respect the seller has shown.

I for one, will miss you, Thunder. I'm glad I at least got one of your Space Invader carts so I at least have something personal to remember you by. Please take care out there. PM me your email if you'd like to stay in contact, it sucks to loose contact with members of old, it's been happening too much lately.

Posted on: 4/7 17:01

Joined 2009/4/30
USA
-1 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
damn.

Posted on: 4/7 17:49

Joined 2017/9/15
-1 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Sucks to see this happen. I totally get the lack of motivation though, knowing that you're just helping some jerk make money.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post