Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

VB extension cable
Posted on: 3/25 18:05
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/2/25
14 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
I finished my Virtual Boy console conversion and needed an extension cable for the controller. Using Kevin Mellot's models I was able to have connectors 3D printed and the result is the image attached. Really happy with how it turned out and I would highly recommend folks consider using Kevin's models if they need an extension cable themselves.

Attach file:

jpg  VBextension.jpg (31.14 KB)
14317_5e7b8f244605e.jpg 453X462 px

Re: VB extension cable
Posted on: 3/25 20:41
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
387 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Looking good! Glad it worked out.

Posted on: 3/25 21:38
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/2/23
USA
17 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
What type of material did you end up printing with? I couldn't get great prints with PLA, I bought a resin printer and am playing with that, but I'm not quite sure that's the way to go. I know Kevin uses a carbon fiber material but that material is $200/spool and requires it's own separate 3D printer from any normal printer you use, which is probably cost prohibitive for the average person.

Posted on: 3/25 22:10
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
387 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

brumbie13 wrote:
What type of material did you end up printing with? I couldn't get great prints with PLA, I bought a resin printer and am playing with that, but I'm not quite sure that's the way to go. I know Kevin uses a carbon fiber material but that material is $200/spool and requires it's own separate 3D printer from any normal printer you use, which is probably cost prohibitive for the average person.

Which SLA machine? FormLabs just announced Tough 2000, which is their closest resin to ABS so far and they claim itís great for connectors.

Posted on: 3/25 23:23
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/2/23
USA
17 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I purchased an Elegoo Mars for this project.

I have been experimenting with mixtures of a base black anycubic resin and Siraya Tech's Blu resin, which is a much tougher resin for functional parts.

I have come close to figuring out a solution I am happy with through experimentation, but I have two main issues I'm running up against:

1) Parts of my edges are not forming correctly and so the edges don't have the sharp clean lines I'm looking for. I have been watching videos on manually adding supports and I think that's my answer. I'm not even really overly concerned with that, should be an easy one to solve with a bit more experimenting.

Open in new window

2) When I test fit parts, they work beautifully. However, what I have observed after many test fits is that the material is kind of wearing a bit and leaving a chalky residue. I'm not overly concerned about this for myself, but if I do a larger run of these for the community, I want to provide a product that looks good and functions properly. I think I wouldn't be overly impressed if I bought a cable from someone and it started looking chalky after light use. This one is really bothering me and I'm not sure there's going to be a resin solution to the problem.

Open in new window

I'm starting to think maybe using the resin for the casing after I get that dialed in and then looking toward a carbon fiber material like you use in your patch cable for the connectors themselves.

Posted on: 3/26 3:21
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
387 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

brumbie13 wrote:
I purchased an Elegoo Mars for this project.

I have been experimenting with mixtures of a base black anycubic resin and Siraya Tech's Blu resin, which is a much tougher resin for functional parts.

I have come close to figuring out a solution I am happy with through experimentation, but I have two main issues I'm running up against:

1) Parts of my edges are not forming correctly and so the edges don't have the sharp clean lines I'm looking for. I have been watching videos on manually adding supports and I think that's my answer. I'm not even really overly concerned with that, should be an easy one to solve with a bit more experimenting.

Open in new window

2) When I test fit parts, they work beautifully. However, what I have observed after many test fits is that the material is kind of wearing a bit and leaving a chalky residue. I'm not overly concerned about this for myself, but if I do a larger run of these for the community, I want to provide a product that looks good and functions properly. I think I wouldn't be overly impressed if I bought a cable from someone and it started looking chalky after light use. This one is really bothering me and I'm not sure there's going to be a resin solution to the problem.

Open in new window

I'm starting to think maybe using the resin for the casing after I get that dialed in and then looking toward a carbon fiber material like you use in your patch cable for the connectors themselves.

You may need to adjust the models for SLA as well. You may know this but with 3D printing you usually start off with a design that should work, and then tweak it to work better with your 3D printer. So most of my parts have been tweaked to work well with the Markforged Onyx. The models may need tweaking for printing in other materials. You can use Tinkercad to make simple changes. I actually build all my models in Tinkercad from basic shapes.

Posted on: 3/26 21:46
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
387 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
I just got a sample part of the FormLabs Tough 2000. Not bad. This could probably be used to make connectors. It deforms a bit before cracking, which is good. It can also take a hit with a hammer without cracking. A connector would have thinner walls and so will take less impact but it would probably work.

If work buys some for testing, I'll sneak in some test prints.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post