You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Should I add a VB to my retro hobby?
Posted on: 1/5 14:09
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/22
Sweden
345 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list= ... SxU0FQd2dDD6-REuhrkrkevns

Here are reviews of all the games just in case

Posted on: 1/6 2:52
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/10/13
40 Posts
If you're looking to buy virtual boy games/accessories, there's a few items not on pricecharting, but after checking current market prices every day for about half a year, I can give you a rough estimate guide on things not listed as price-charting. If you're spending more than this for these though, you're definitely spending too much!

Virtual boy headpiece, eye issues: 50-65$ (would need oven method or soldering, this is only for vb's still working with eye problems only, broken ones should be 50 or less for just the head unit)
Virtual boy Headpiece, working: 70-85$
Virtual boy headpiece, solder-fixed around 100 (usually don't come up too often, and usually come as full set, so estimate)(most recommended to buy like this, or do yourself, as the VB cable will inevitably fail over time. Here's a link to a post I made explaining the VB ribbon cable issue in more detail:

https://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... t_id=44113#forumpost44113

buying one like this or doing it yourself is best, as sending one in to a repair shop costs around 40-50, buying with the fix already is the cheapest option.)
Controller: 20-25$
Battery pack (batteries): 20-25$
AC adaptor tap: 15-25$ (like with all older "handheld consoles" make sure you look/ask for corrosion, you don't want a controller filled with corrosion as it will inevitably fail or have issues.)
AC wall-plug: 10-14$
Eyepiece bracket: 10$ or less
Eyeshade: 10$ or less
VB Stand: 20-30$ (note that the nintendo jewel is usually broken in the middle, which is normal. I'd highly, highly recommend buying a new one if you want one to last from hyperkin, I've gotten one when they were on sale for 20$ along with an eyeshade and bracket from them for 18, and they are of very high quality, which I actually prefer over the original, but both original and replacement work great)
VB Box: 20-30$
VB Manual: 15-20$
Virtual boy complete working package everything included for the console: headpiece, stand, shade and bracket, controller and battery pack) 165-185$ (soldered would be around 200$)

You can also check this website for prior ebay listings of up to 90 days, which gives a decent estimate on how much you should be spending on items as well if you wanted to track an average yourself:

http://www.watchcount.com/completed.php

If you want some more info on other accessories, like the headphones or CIB versions, I can make another list with averages for just about everything, but that should hopefully help you in getting the best deals on everything VB-related so you still have enough to buy some games! (Wario, galatic pinball, teleroboxer, mario tennis, and red alarm being the best for the most affordable prices, all being 25 and under) Good luck on your search, and hope you enjoy this spectacular console! :)

Posted on: 1/6 18:48
Joined 1/1
USA
7 Posts
Ethan, Protoman, thanks for the very useful suggestions. Watching the reviews protoman shared got me all excited. I've got a lead on a full working setup for a fair price (based on Ethan's post), wish me luck!

Posted on: 1/6 22:29
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/10/13
40 Posts
Thatís great! I just got one recently that I plan on fixing for a rediculously good deal, so with some patience, you can definitely find some great undervalued listings on ebay. Happy hunting!

Posted on: 1/7 9:25
Joined 1/1
USA
7 Posts
Got a working one! Left eyepiece has a glitch occasionally, but worked well for 15 minutes. 5 games (Mario Tennis, Wario Land, Teleroboxer, Vertical Force, Galactic Pin), AC adapter, stand that has a crack and mild lean but is working for now, and the Blockbuster suit case in nice shape.

The foam in the case should probably be replaced, maybe order a new stand/ eye shade...

Very happy!

Thanks for the help!

Attach file:

jpg  VirtualBoyRig.jpg (2,996.30 KB)
15436_5e14405c19fb0.jpg 3024X3024 px

Posted on: 1/7 16:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1186 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
That's a good start! Looks like it's all in good condition. As for the eye piece, no big deal, you'll want to get them solder fixed anyway.

Welcome to the club =D

Posted on: 1/7 21:28
Virtual Freak
Joined 2013/9/9
USA
95 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Welcome glad to hear
If your foam needs replacing in your BB case I will have more available in a couple days. See other forums. Also have Tags too

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post