Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Should I add a VB to my retro hobby?
Posted on: 1/1 11:28
VB Gamer
Joined 1/1
USA
11 Posts
Hi folks - I've been a Nintendo fan for decades - one of my first jobs out of high school was working for Nintendo as a representative at a Lionel Playworld. Lionel Playworld was a toy store similar to Toys'r'Us, but it went out of business in the 90s. This would have been for xmas season, either 1992 or 1993, I remember the Super Nintendo was the thing.

Forward to 1995-1996 timeframe or so, there used to be a electronics big box retailer, Incredible Universe (also defunct), that I would visit frequently. This was my only exposure to a Nintendo Virtual Boy - I thought it was a cool idea but didn't have the $ at the time.

I did get a N64 xmas 1996 or so, and have had pretty much every Nintendo console since (GC, Wii, WiiU, Switch, and GB, GBC, DS, 3DS).

My other retro hobby is restoring old arcade machines (Tempest, Centipede, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong, PacMac, Tetris, Marble Madness, SHMUPs and more) and Pinball (Star Trek: TNG, and some electromechanicals too).

I've read a little bit of the forum the past few days, looking at the homebrew and translation work the dedicated folks have put in. I'm truly amazed.

A VB came up for sale relatively local to me, and I'm debating if I should get it or not. Blockbuster case, working console, and 5 games.

Talk me off my fence as to why I should or shouldn't.

Happy New Year, welcome to 2020! Thanks!

Re: Should I add a VB to my retro hobby?
Posted on: 1/1 15:30
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/23
Great Britain
388 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years) Donator
Jump in both feet first! Virtual boy is a great little oddity. Iv had mine now for 10 years and it still comes out of the box regularly. I have noticed that prices are rising, 50% more than what I paid all them years ago, so I would say do it now before prices go even higher.

To top it off, plant virtual boy is a great community with some very talented individuals.

Best of luck

Posted on: 1/2 1:19
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/12/5
USA
18 Posts
They are a neat system that got no love... and that's why they are expensive now. Most of them will have video issues, but it's a easy fix. Honestly... just depends on the price. I paid $70 in good shape, with 2 games... but has the vid issues. Took me all of 15 min to get her up and running. That same system in "Working" condition would be +$200 on the market today.

Be aware... most games are $20'ish dollars. Nester's bowling is around $45/$50 and Waterworld, Jack Bros, 3D Tetris can run you upward of $500 !!!!!! (USA Versions)

Oh,,, and the blockbuster case can get +$200 alone. Don't know why... there are a bunch out there.

So... look at the condition and the games... and go from there.

Posted on: 1/2 17:05
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/9/15
82 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Heh, we're not exactly going to tell you "no, you shouldn't get it, VB isn't that great"

VB is awesome and you should get one.

Posted on: 1/3 2:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1227 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
A Virtual Boy isn't any less "Nintendo" then any other Nintendo product. If you like Nintendo stuff I'd say go for it. I've enjoyed mine since, well whenever my join date to this site is, lol. While there's not a huge array of games available for it, there's definitely some fun times to be had with a lot of the games, enough to keep one occupied over the years, anyway.

Posted on: 1/3 7:46
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
133 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
yes. but you get it solder fixed. all virtual boys are going to fail due to cut corners nintendo tookQuote:

ArcadeDanger wrote:
Hi folks - I

Posted on: 1/3 16:18
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/25
Switzerland
32 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
I bought it because Im a fan of Wario. Then I felt in love of the hardware.

Posted on: 1/3 21:07
Virtual Freak
Joined 2007/4/14
Canada
52 Posts
Long Time User (13 Years)
VB is a lot of fun, but it sort of punishes you for loving it. I own three systems, and all have needed repairs to their displays. The games are hard to find and increasingly expensive ó and a lot of them aren't great (although a few of them are really cool and worth playing).

If you're a collector who's looking for a challenge, VB can be a great hobby. But it's not for everybody.

Posted on: 1/5 9:46
VB Gamer
Joined 1/1
USA
11 Posts
Thanks for the push :) I'll be shopping around, fixing and tinkering w/ games is something I enjoy. Seems like ebay is the usual market place for VB stuff, any other suggestions as to where to look?

Is there a thread with current fair market pricing for console, controls, adapters and games?

Posted on: 1/5 13:08
VB Gamer
Joined 2019/10/13
49 Posts
Thereís pricecharting, which is how I base all my average prices for games. It has almost every game on the VB on a trend, but some prices might be slightly off from their actual average Iíve noticed. Keeping an eye on what you want and what it generally sells for over time on ebay will ensure you always get the most bang for your buck for these games, and itís advised since some of these games can get pretty pricey

https://www.pricecharting.com/search-p ... games&q=Virtual+boy&go=Go

Register To Post