HyperFlash32
Posted on: 11/10 18:09
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
313 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Hi,

As I've discussed in a few other threads on the forums, I'm working on a HyperFlash32 cart as a replacement for the FlashBoy+.

HyperFlash32 will contain a 32Mbit Flash (enough for the full HF ROM), 32k x 8 nvSRAM (no save battery required), and a new faster 32bit ARM microcontroller (MCU) running at 32MHz, on board SD card slot, and USB port for control using your PC. ROM files are placed on the SD card and programmed to the flash memory using the MCU, with automatic padding. A simple PC based interface will be used to control the programming steps much like my VB programmer. The on board MCU and SD card slot arrangement was chosen to make programming as fast as possible and provide a single integrated programmer and cart solution. The ARM MCU will also have a bootloader to allow future firmware upgrades as functionality is added. It will also have the features of my VB programmer like SRAM save functionality to save your game progress.

Schematics are done and I'm ready to go to layout so I'm taking preorders to help get it across the finish line. You can read more about it here, as well as place your preorder if you're so interested: http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/hyperflash32/

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: HyperFlash32
Posted on: 11/10 18:20
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
27 Posts
I just put an order in! Thank you for doing this Kevin.

Posted on: 11/10 20:11
Joined 2017/8/19
7 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I can't drop $150 on this right now unfortunately, but do have a Flashboy+ already. Great deal for anybody who didn't buy a Flashboy when available.
I'll hold off for the Multiboy.
But thanks Kevin for giving folks the opportunity to purchase the HyperFlash in the meantime.

Posted on: 11/10 21:14
Joined 11/10
1 Posts
So to understand the design, we put all the roms on an SD card, and the cart will display a menu to choose a rom and load it to memory?

Posted on: 11/10 21:32
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
313 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Greg2600 wrote:
So to understand the design, we put all the roms on an SD card, and the cart will display a menu to choose a rom and load it to memory?

No. Like Flashboy, you'll remove the cart from the VB, connect a USB cable from your PC, and then select and program the game on your PC. The files reside on the SD card merely to make programming faster. I could have done it on the PC just like flashboy but I wanted to speed up the programming. There will be no on-screen menu for HyperFlash32. That's one of the things that makes this design easier to get done.

Posted on: 11/10 21:50
VB Gamer
Joined 8/21
17 Posts
Order done for me !
Great news.
Thanks a lot !!!
Edited by pkerga on 2019/11/11 11:16

Posted on: 11/10 22:04
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
313 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
The "donor included" ones are almost gone. Only a single person has ordered a "I'll send a donor" version. So looks like getting donors is going to be even more important as people don't want to ship them to me probably due to shipping cost.

If anyone has donors please email or PM me. Also, if you can send 15 donors then I'll give a free HyperFlash32 cart. Contact me if this may be something you're interested in.

Posted on: 11/11 4:19
VB Gamer
Joined 10/13
12 Posts
Bought and sending in my own cart. I'm so excited for this, I can't believe the schematics are finally done! I'm more than happy to give you some donor carts, pm sent
Edited by Ethan.Snyder98 on 2019/11/11 8:29

Posted on: 11/11 10:26
Joined 6/25
Germany
6 Posts
bought one.
What would really make it useful to me is when it can be used in a game-development-chain that does NOT run on Windows (linux here).
I do not mind running binaries in WINE when that works. So many 'such tools' require a Windows setup with several DLLs etc. for no real reason. I can happily test this on several linux machines if wanted.
Cheers and keep it up :)

Posted on: 11/11 17:18
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/9/15
69 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Neat, glad to see a Flashboy alternative in the works. I have a small number of donors, I'll check tonight.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post