Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: VirtualSolution v1.1 - the Ultimate, EASY solution to the Display Problem
Posted on: 8/22 6:56
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/2/25
12 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Okay. Iíll keep my eye out then for your progress.

Posted on: 8/23 10:34
VB Gamer
Joined 2/23
USA
10 Posts
I'm in for a few sets as well.

Posted on: 8/26 23:15
VB Gamer
Joined 5/24
13 Posts
I'm interested in these since one of my eyes is giving me trouble here and there and I haven't worked up the nerve to dive into solder fixing mine yet.

My main question is with this part how would one remove the glued portion of the old ribbon to give a clean surface to solder this part to.

Also I was reading and I was curious would this require more or less the same soldering skills that are required to do a normal solder fix. Or would the castellated holes make this job a piece of cake for people with amateur soldering skills.

Looking forward to see your progress on this part. I am very interested!

-Cameron

Posted on: 9/3 2:46
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
158 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

VB Boy wrote:
I'm interested in these since one of my eyes is giving me trouble here and there and I haven't worked up the nerve to dive into solder fixing mine yet.

My main question is with this part how would one remove the glued portion of the old ribbon to give a clean surface to solder this part to.

Also I was reading and I was curious would this require more or less the same soldering skills that are required to do a normal solder fix. Or would the castellated holes make this job a piece of cake for people with amateur soldering skills.

Looking forward to see your progress on this part. I am very interested!

-Cameron

Since the original cable is not soldered down, a bit of heat, like from a soldering iron, will tear right through that glue. I suppose you could also use IPA, which would take a bit longer but be less aggressive.

The castellated holes here, because they are on a PCB and have plenty of mass, would allow for a solid bond to form very easily. Flux is, of course, your friend, but it will be much simpler than either the original fix method or the VirtualCable. An amateur could manage it, but it wouldn't hurt to have a modicum of experience before trying.

Posted on: 9/6 16:11
VB Gamer
Joined 4/10
32 Posts
I see this is very good, but how does the ribbon cable connect to the VB if it doesn't have the same number of pins? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Posted on: 9/6 21:00
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
158 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
On the motherboard side, the VB uses a standard pitch cable connector. It's the LED board that uses a non standard pitch. In addition, the six outermost "pins" on the LED board side are NC, for reasons that nobody has been able to provide a good explanation for. Only 30 pins actually have any purpose on the cable at all.

Posted on: 9/9 19:28
Joined 8/11
2 Posts
I did get mine to work using Oshpark, and then needed to clean them up a fair amount.

I found 1200 grit wetsand on the castellated edge took off 99% of the excess plating, and allowed me to sand it down to ensure their is enough space between the holes.

I have not tried to solder my adapter to a led board yet.

My design pcb is up on EasyEDA, but it needs a bit of work of rework of the pcb size to fit perfectly.

I'm also going to be designing a 3d printed bracket to eliminate any wiggle (room permitting)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post