Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

VirtualSolution v1.1 - the Ultimate, EASY solution to the Display Problem
Posted on: 7/25 3:10
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
So, my VirtualCable v1.7 was...okay. Some issues cropped up that I hadn't anticipated, but I devised an alternate installation method that was far superior, if not exactly the intended use case, and I think that the project was ultimately a success.

But I hate imperfect solutions. Boy, do I HATE imperfect solutions! The VirtualCable was designed with the idea of being a high-quality, easy-to-install, end-all-be-all solution for the infamous VirtualBoy display failures. What it wound up being was optimistically engineered and, while it works great, installation was a lot harder than it had to be.

That was an embarrassment to me, personally, and it's been eating at me for a bit. So while I did wind up creating an iteration of the VirtualCable that is meant to solve all those issues (the prototypes for which I am still awaiting!), I decided to go back to the drawing board and scrap the entire theory I was employing, which was a glorified re-design of the original 'fix'. I wanted something a bit more elegant, and I definitely wanted future-proofing - part of the issue with Nintendo's implementation was that they didn't have a concept of Minimal Replacement - ie, you design around the most wear-prone aspect of your product with the goal of being able to easily replace it at minimal cost.

So, in lieu of the VirtualCable v2.0, I give you the VirtualSolution v1.1!

As shown in the images below, this is a two-part solution: A simple breakout board, easily installed via castellated holes (yes, we're back to those now, but on actual PCBs, it's much easier!) that branches out to a common 0.8mm LIF cable connector, which then uses an industry-standard flex cable to connect the motherboard!

This means that, should the cable fail somehow? Yank it out, plug in a replacement, and never deal with soldering again after the initial job, which is very simple for even an amateur to accomplish!

The best part of this is that it's NO MORE EXPENSIVE than the VirtualCable, and at much smaller quantities, too! That means that this solution is not only easier to install, and designed against failure of the flex cable, but it's also easier for me to acquire a stock on-hand.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0361.JPG (2,045.64 KB)
14127_5d38ff2467a22.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_0363.JPG (1,883.81 KB)
14127_5d38ff322bdf5.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_0364.JPG (1,957.37 KB)
14127_5d38ff44d4e7c.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_0367.JPG (1,859.48 KB)
14127_5d38ff4e89149.jpg 4032X3024 px

jpg  IMG_0368.JPG (2,011.21 KB)
14127_5d38ff572113e.jpg 4032X3024 px
Edited by RetroDan on 2019/7/25 18:24

Re: VirtualPerfection v1.1 - the Ultimate, EASY solution to the Display Problem
Posted on: 7/25 3:53
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
104 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
i was right! :P btw this look like it will be about the same difficulty as just soldering an existing cable. put be down for a few pairs :P

Posted on: 7/25 4:04
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

Nes Freak wrote:
i was right! :P btw this look like it will be about the same difficulty as just soldering an existing cable. put be down for a few pairs :P

In fact, it should be even easier, as the PCB board won't detach and fry itself under the heat of your soldering iron.

Posted on: 7/25 4:06
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1155 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
I really like this! Great job Dan, this is a great idea.

Re: VirtualSolution v1.1 - the Ultimate, EASY solution to the Display Problem
Posted on: 8/11 20:28
Joined 8/11
2 Posts
Looks like a great solution.

Which PCB Fab was able to make castellated holes that close together?

My usual fabs (JLPCB, PCBWay, Osh, etc) dont let me have less than 0.6mm.

Posted on: 8/13 3:44
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

Alterac wrote:
Looks like a great solution.

Which PCB Fab was able to make castellated holes that close together?

My usual fabs (JLPCB, PCBWay, Osh, etc) dont let me have less than 0.6mm.

OSHpark made the prototype boards, and they did require a bit of cleanup. My production fab house for this is actually PCBWay, and they do require some tweaking, but it is doable.

Posted on: 8/13 15:22
Joined 2016/6/10
6 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
I'm in for 1 set when they go on sale. I'm keeping my eyes open for a second VB, as my VirtualTAP modded one wasn't in great condition. I'll install this in a new one when I find it.

Posted on: 8/14 2:49
Joined 2014/1/6
2 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
This is an awesome solution. I'm in for a set of 3 please. Thank you!

Posted on: 8/21 2:41
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/2/25
12 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I'd be interested in four of these cables. I'm sorry I missed your messages about the previous solution my preferences weren't set right to forward PMs to my email.

Let me know how I can order and I'll send you payment right away this time!

Posted on: 8/21 4:24
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
162 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

Edge Connector wrote:
I'd be interested in four of these cables. I'm sorry I missed your messages about the previous solution my preferences weren't set right to forward PMs to my email.

Let me know how I can order and I'll send you payment right away this time!

I'm in the process of testing this method, as I'd rather not get embarrassed like I did with the VirtualCable. It may be a bit before I determine that these are good for sale.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post