Re: New here
Posted on: 8/2 13:59
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/1/1
Sweden
32 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Welcome!

I have a few duplicates of Japanese games that I might be willing to part with if interested.
PM what your'e after/missing in that case and I'll check.

Living in south Sweden.

Posted on: 8/2 15:37
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
@Minggus: Thank you! :-)

@Patrik: Thanks! I have a couple of bundles on the way so I will wait until those have arrived until I get more games. I really appreciate the help though!

The latest addition: Red Alarm. Ordered it from Japan via Ebay. Too bad about the tax (wasnīt sure about how much the tax was going to be but now I know), but the price was still ok. Itīs a nice feeling unboxing an almost 25 year old game :)

Attach file:

jpg  redAlarm.jpg (117.26 KB)
15180_5d443b409ba0e.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 8/5 11:43
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
So the VB arrived today! Right away I noticed it was kind of loose in the box which had me worried (as it didnīt come with the cardboard). It was wrapped up pretty good in bubble wrap though.

A disappointing thing, after inspecting the parts closer, which was not mentioned in the auction or visible in the photos, is a hairline crack in the center plastic part. Also, Golf (which was included), had just been thrown in the console-box without any protection whatsoever, which has resulted in a dented game-box. I will of course talk to the seller about these issues.

Other than that Iīm very happy with the VB. I started up Red Alarm and damn, itīs a much better experience than what I expected! :D Itīs really awesome. My neck, which is already not super, will take a beating though so I will have to figure out a solution for that. I saw a tripod mount on Ebay which I might get.

Some questions:

1) Is the IPD dial supposed to be kind of hard to turn? (feels thick, for lack of a better word to describe it).
2) The screens seems perfectly fine. I canīt see any issues. I assume itīs still a good idea to get the "solder fix" or should I wait until they start giving me problems?
3) Do you think the hairline crack on the plastic part will get worse if I use the stand while playing?

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  virtualBoyConsole.jpg (184.79 KB)
15180_5d47f815cbbf2.jpg 1024X584 px

Posted on: 8/6 1:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1145 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
The console really is better then people make it out to be. For something from 1995, it's got nice crisp screens, decent graphics power and sound capabilities. It also just feels so Nintendo like =P I still really like mine, even years later.

1: The IPD knob is usually a bit stiff, or "weighty", that's normal.
2: It's always a good idea to solder fix for future proofing but nothing wrong with waiting till they give you issues, or waiting until you're ok with not using it for a while. I'd just enjoy your system for now since you just got it :)
3: Is the crack in the stand "medallion"? (the center part with Nintendo on it). If so, then yes, more use will make the crack worse. However, to mitigate this issue on mine I used a small black zip tie and wrapped it just under the medallion. Tighten it enough so that it takes the stress off the stand. After this you can use it without worry of making the crack worse.

Posted on: 8/9 6:26
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
@speedyink: Exactly, it's on the medallion. Thank you for the tip! I did a "zip tie fix"! Clever. I will probably wait a little while before I send it off, but I actually started noticing some glitching while playing, which I suspect has to do with the ribbon cables.

I have mostly played Red Alarm and am currently trying to get past the stage 3 bosses 😁 It's cool.

Posted on: 8/9 20:05
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1145 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
No problem!
I've got two VB's I need to get solder fixed. On the one the problem only really crops up when there's a lot of stuff on the screen, simpler scenes it seems to be unnoticeable. I definitely gotta get around to doing it though, i've been putting it off too long!

I love Red Alarm, it's one of my favorite games for the system. I already have a thing for vector graphics but Red Alarm just takes them and the atmosphere to the next level, so well done!

Posted on: 8/12 20:54
VB Gamer
Joined 7/21
Sweden
14 Posts
@speedyink: I played the VB for a while today testing out my new games (see below) and didn't notice any glitching so not sure what's up with that, but I'll get the console fixed in due time anyway.
I totally agree about Red Alarm. I had seen footage of the game prior to playing it, and based on that, I thought it was going to be really confusing. It wasn't, when I actually tried it out for myself.

I received a bundle of games (Red Alarm, Panic Bomber, Vertical Force, Golf, Baseball 95, Mario's Tennis, Teleroboxer, Galatic Pinball, V-Tetris and Space Squash) the other day which I got for a really good price. I also got Wario Land from the same seller for an ok price.
-----
It was 1:19 AM local time.
Had I slept at all? I wasn't sure.
It didn't matter though, because I was wide awake now. No time for snoozing.
In approximately three minutes my virtual Boy collection would either grow significantly or remain humble.
1:22 AM. The last minute was upon me.
Tick, tock. Tick, tock.
Soon it was all to be over, and I would either go back to sleep with a smile on my face,
or lay wide awake long into the night, pondering what I could have done different.
10 seconds left. SONIC BOOM! I entered my max bid, and lo and behold--another auction won!

Another day, another night,
some more games won in an exciting fight.
Now--time to sleep. Don't let the bed bugs bite!
-----
Beside the games, I also got the VB headphones via a Dutch game site. The box is in really good shape, as are the headphones.

Attach file:

jpg  vb_headphones.jpg (131.87 KB)
15180_5d51b0ee8b569.jpg 1024X768 px
Edited by Mumphy on 2019/8/15 19:21

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post