Nicht eingeloggt.
Passwort vergessen?


Bitte erst registrieren. Danach ist es möglich Beiträge zu schreiben.



 Nach unten   Vorheriges Thema   Nächstes Thema

#11
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 30.06.2019 9:24
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 01.01.2018
Schweden
34 Beiträge
Long Time User (1 Year)
Zitat:

speedyink wrote:
Well that's embarrassing, I was using the padder wrong.

Reference for anyone else:
hold control while dragging the file onto the padder and choose padding option 3. (and default size option)

Yup, definitely works on real hardware. I see what you mean about the frame rate, hope it turns out to be what you guys figure.

Otherwise, this game looks great on hardware. Is this your first 3D game? You've done a great job making lots of use of it!
Definitely can't wait to try this again once it gets sped up :)


Thanks, was doing the same thing wrong. :P
Apart from that framerate issue it looks and feels great. Well done!
Nach oben

#12
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 30.06.2019 11:23
Nintendoid!
Dabei seit 12.05.2016
USA
143 Beiträge
Long Time User (3 Years)
Zitat:

speedyink wrote:
Well that's embarrassing, I was using the padder wrong.

Reference for anyone else:
hold control while dragging the file onto the padder and choose padding option 3. (and default size option)

Yup, definitely works on real hardware. I see what you mean about the frame rate, hope it turns out to be what you guys figure.

Otherwise, this game looks great on hardware. Is this your first 3D game? You've done a great job making lots of use of it!
Definitely can't wait to try this again once it gets sped up :)


Thanks speedyink! Was running into the same mistake, that worked!
Nach oben

#13
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 01.07.2019 16:34
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 29.06.2019
13 Beiträge
Zitat:

speedyink wrote:
Otherwise, this game looks great on hardware. Is this your first 3D game? You've done a great job making lots of use of it!
Definitely can't wait to try this again once it gets sped up :)


Thanks! This is my first time making a game with any kind of 3D depth, I think it turned out okay too! The real praise goes to Nyrator if you enjoy the graphics, since he did almost everything you see.

I'll be sure to post an update when I've fixed the framerate issue!
Nach oben

#14
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 02.07.2019 3:19
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 10.03.2011
USA
907 Beiträge
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Zitat:

I'll be sure to post an update when I've fixed the framerate issue!


I am looking forward to that! Thanks!
Nach oben

#15
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 02.07.2019 7:38
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 17.06.2013
Kanada
1155 Beiträge
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Zitat:

Kresna wrote:

Thanks! This is my first time making a game with any kind of 3D depth, I think it turned out okay too! The real praise goes to Nyrator if you enjoy the graphics, since he did almost everything you see.

I'll be sure to post an update when I've fixed the framerate issue!


Well with the pair of you together it looks like you've churned out a very nice little game.

Definitely looking forward to any update builds :)
Nach oben

#16
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 05.07.2019 22:01
Nintendoid!
Dabei seit 09.11.2012
Venezuela
127 Beiträge
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreLong Time User (6 Years) 90+ Game Ratings
Looks pretty damn cool! Good work :)
Nach oben

#17
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 20.07.2019 5:06
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 29.06.2019
13 Beiträge
Red Square has been updated and now works on real hardware. This has been tested by Jorgeche. For those of you who want to play it on your real Virtual Boy, now you can do that. The updated ROM is available from the official page. If you want to know what went into it, continue reading.

A lot of work went into debugging this issue from a lot of people, the following things about the game have changed on a technical level:

Instruction Cache was enabled
Wait Controller was configured
VBlank period is now done via VIP interrupt
VBlank interrupt is waited for using HALT
Keypad polling was changed to initiate a hardware request at the start of a frame and poll the keys at the end of a frame
FRMCYC was set to 0 on boot (as is done by commercial games)


All of these changes didn't fix the problem, but will provide a much greater battery life when playing the game. Specifically, changing the keypad polling method, and using HALT and the VIP interrupt. The real fix came from a very specific flag in the DPCTRL register.

The DPCTRL register has a flag called DPRST, which automatically resets the display (changing bits in INTPND and INTENB). I set this flag on hardware reset and never unset it. It turns out, this flag never gets unset. What happens when it remains set (it seems) is that every other frame is skipped because DPCTRL resets TIMEERR, FRAMESTART, GAMESTART, RFBEND, LFBEND and SCANERR in INTPND and INTENB. This was discovered when I was debugging retail games and found that their value for DPCTRL ($0302) did not match my value ($0303). My advice? Don't set DPRST, manually write to INTCLR and INTENB instead of relying on DPRST, and if you do, unset it very shortly after.

A lot of community support went into narrowing down the problem and offering solutions for this bug. The people on the PlanetVB Discord server have been extremely helpful, and I'd like to thank Jorgeche in particular for his time, knowledge, and help in testing and offering solutions to the problem.
Nach oben

#18
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 20.07.2019 12:48
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 01.01.2018
Schweden
34 Beiträge
Long Time User (1 Year)
Wonderful news and great work. Will play it tonight! :)
Nach oben

#19
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 22.07.2019 1:21
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 10.03.2011
USA
907 Beiträge
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Hi.
So, I got to a screen that said FIN after Nina jumped to what seemed like her death? Is this the ending?

I collected a bunch of items (pizza server, 3d glasses, a bike, a manga) but none of them seemed to do anything. The manga got me through a door, but I found nothing useful inside. The bike said it would make me go faster, but did not. I'm confused...

Is the point of the game to collect the items and then to make that jump or am I missing out on something?

I also wanted to ask, are there plans to add music or sound effects? I feel like both would greatly enhance the game.

I hope no one minds that I have attached a padded copy of the 7.19.19 ROM to this post. It was padded using method #3 with the default size (21 - 2MB) and has been confirmed to boot on actual hardware.

Thanks!

Datei anhängen:


vb redsquare_7-19-19_pad.vb Größe: 2,048.00 KB; Hits: 42
Bearbeitet von Lester Knight am 22.07.2019 1:33:26
Bearbeitet von Lester Knight am 22.07.2019 1:34:24
Nach oben

#20
Re: Red Square, a Yume Nikki Fan Game
Geschrieben am: 22.07.2019 3:03
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 29.06.2019
13 Beiträge
Zitat:

Lester Knight wrote:
Hi.
So, I got to a screen that said FIN after Nina jumped to what seemed like her death? Is this the ending?

I collected a bunch of items (pizza server, 3d glasses, a bike, a manga) but none of them seemed to do anything. The manga got me through a door, but I found nothing useful inside. The bike said it would make me go faster, but did not. I'm confused...

Is the point of the game to collect the items and then to make that jump or am I missing out on something?


Hello!

Yes, that's the end of the game. Once you've collected all four effects and walked to the balcony, the game ends.

This might be the part where it's a good idea to explain that the game is a satire on the Yume Nikki fan game concept; it's a joke. Only one of the effects has a function (aside from opening a door), and the bike deliberately does not speed you up. The deeper meaning is simply what's on the surface. Delicious.

Zitat:

Lester Knight wrote:
I also wanted to ask, are there plans to add music or sound effects? I feel like both would greatly enhance the game.

I hope no one minds that I have attached a padded copy of the 7.19.19 ROM to this post. It was padded using method #3 with the default size (21 - 2MB) and has been confirmed to boot on actual hardware.

Thanks!


I don't have any plans to continue developing this game. As of now, it's complete. My goal was to produce something playable for the Virtual Boy in 6 weeks, and I feel that adding content after would be dishonest to the spirit of the project. In future projects, where I can spend more of my own time, I'll have sound and other features not present here.

As for uploading the ROM, I don't mind, however I do encourage people to visit the site for the full experience, and for the source code (if interested).
Nach oben

 Nach oben   Vorheriges Thema   Nächstes Thema


Bitte erst registrieren. Danach ist es möglich Beiträge zu schreiben.