Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/19 11:43
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
154 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
You know, it may simply be easiest and provide the best longevity to simply have new ribbon cables made - one end with fingers that connect into the motherboard's connector, and the other end that terminates in pitch-perfect castellated holes for soldering onto the LED board.

That would eliminate the most frustrating and difficult issues of the VB displays, improve the console's lifespan, and be a great deal easier for the average solder monkey to manage. Also, flex cables are comparatively cheap to make.

Do I smell interest?

Posted on: 2/19 12:24
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
35 Posts
Long term this will be essential as I'm seeing signs in every VB ribbon cable I've looked at of the copper in the ribbon starting to corrode. First the glue goes bad, then the copper and everyone discovers that the solder fix permenantly fixes one problem, but doesn't do anything to prevent the inevitable.

Posted on: 2/20 17:02
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/9/15
66 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

RetroDan wrote:
You know, it may simply be easiest and provide the best longevity to simply have new ribbon cables made - one end with fingers that connect into the motherboard's connector, and the other end that terminates in pitch-perfect castellated holes for soldering onto the LED board.

That would eliminate the most frustrating and difficult issues of the VB displays, improve the console's lifespan, and be a great deal easier for the average solder monkey to manage. Also, flex cables are comparatively cheap to make.

Do I smell interest?

If you know how to design flex cables/PCBs and have them printed, then yes, you are smelling interest from me. :D If not, then I may start learning it myself. I have at least one LED board with no cable, that can be used for testing.

Ideally, they would also have a tab attached like the stock cables, to allow easy insertion/removal from the VB (and they also seem to help thicken the cable at that end for a good firm seating)

Posted on: 2/20 23:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
If there will be reliable replacement cables available for not more than €10 each, I will be all over this!
I think €10 is pretty expensive, just to set a max price, because even with replacement cables, it doesn't guarantee a fixed display if there are one or more dead LEDs on the board itself. Hope something like this will come to fruition!

Posted on: 2/20 23:34
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
154 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

Splain wrote:
If you know how to design flex cables/PCBs and have them printed, then yes, you are smelling interest from me. :D If not, then I may start learning it myself. I have at least one LED board with no cable, that can be used for testing.

Ideally, they would also have a tab attached like the stock cables, to allow easy insertion/removal from the VB (and they also seem to help thicken the cable at that end for a good firm seating)

I've designed PCBs before - not flex cables - but I can't imagine that it would be impossible for me to make the transition.

I can't imagine the cables would be expensive, though. I'll get to some designing and whack up a prototype, but I'd like to be able to order 100 (50 sets) at least, for cost reasons. I have no data to back it up, but I can't imagine it would cost more than $20-$25 for a set.

Posted on: 2/21 12:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Quote:

RetroDan wrote:
Quote:

Splain wrote:

I've designed PCBs before - not flex cables - but I can't imagine that it would be impossible for me to make the transition.

I can't imagine the cables would be expensive, though. I'll get to some designing and whack up a prototype, but I'd like to be able to order 100 (50 sets) at least, for cost reasons. I have no data to back it up, but I can't imagine it would cost more than $20-$25 for a set.

I think $20-$25 is pretty expensive, I would have thought they would be dirt cheap, just the start up would be an issue. If you can get the costs to limit to $12 a set I would order 10 sets straight away.

Posted on: 2/21 23:33
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
154 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

TheForce81 wrote:

I think $20-$25 is pretty expensive, I would have thought they would be dirt cheap, just the start up would be an issue. If you can get the costs to limit to $12 a set I would order 10 sets straight away.

To be fair, I'm just estimating. As I said, "I have no data to back it up". I'm just throwing babies at the wall to see what sticks.

Posted on: 2/24 5:22
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
154 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
First Iteration of what I am dubbing the VirtualCable:

Attach file:

png  VirtualCable.png (26.55 KB)
14127_5c721be3a6bcb.png 1686X599 px

Posted on: 2/24 22:50
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Looks good to me, if you can supply them at a very reasonable price, it will be a very nice addition to repairing displays!! Still won't be too easy to install, align and all that, but skilled people should have no issue doing that.

Posted on: 2/25 0:52
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
154 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:

TheForce81 wrote:
Looks good to me, if you can supply them at a very reasonable price, it will be a very nice addition to repairing displays!! Still won't be too easy to install, align and all that, but skilled people should have no issue doing that.

Actually, I'm on my third revision right now of this cable design. I'm used to using Proteus, but it's not quite capable of some of the design options I want, so I'm having to learn EAGLE. Nothing like a project to force new knowledge into your brain-hole.

I dub it 'brainal'.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post