Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 5/27 11:58
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Three days left. It's actually kind of fascinating - I'm still getting new buyers, to the point that I've increased my overstock supply for latecomers by 50%.

Posted on: 5/31 5:34
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
With just about 24 hours left, I should like to make an unusual request:

Production of the VirtualCables is an expensive prospect, and one that I will make very little profit from. I would like to encourage some of you, ideally those who have indicated that they want 10 sets or so, to pay in advance. I am aware of the frowned-upon nature of this request, and to be honest, it leaves a foul taste in my mouth. Truthfully, I don't absolutely NEED prepayment, but with rent, a new car, an upcoming wedding in August, and all the payments that life tends to accrue, I am stretched a bit thin, and I would humbly request that some of you help ease the burden. To those who may choose to help, I would strongly advise against sending via PayPal gift - this is simply prepayment for a product, and I will return any payments made with gift.

For those who may decide so to do, please include your username on these forums in a note on your payment. My PayPal address is doubledangaming@gmail.com.

Thank you for your consideration.

Posted on: 5/31 5:52
Joined 3/9
4 Posts
I don't mind pre-paying, but just to be clear with the changes that were made, could you post the updated/final prices per set and shipping?

Posted on: 5/31 5:58
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Biscuit wrote:
I don't mind pre-paying, but just to be clear with the changes that were made, could you post the updated/final prices per set and shipping?

Of course:

Final cost is $11/pair.
Shipping in the US is $7.90.
Shipping to most overseas locations is $14.25.

For those who intend to do so, please PM me for your total.

Posted on: 6/1 1:54
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Wow. Got quite a few people jumping aboard at the eleventh hour. An additional 9 buyers adding a combined total of 22 more pairs of cables. Impressive stuff!

Posted on: 6/1 6:36
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
As of this moment, the fab order is placed! A grace period is extended for 11.5 hours after this post for latecomers who would like to grab VirtualCables at the price of $11/pair +s/h. At noon EDT on June 1st, the price for unallocated cables becomes $15/pair +s/h. Emails have been sent out to all buyers as of right now. Thanks for all your support!

EDIT: I've received a few emails asking whether to send via Friends and Family or using the Pay for Item or Service. Always, always, ALWAYS send via Pay for Item or Service. Apart from just being the plain truth, it protects the buyer in case the seller takes their money and ghosts them.

If you send money by Friends and Family, I will return your payment immediately!
Edited by RetroDan on 2019/6/1 20:32

Posted on: 6/7 4:23
Joined 6/7
1 Posts
Hello,
New member here.
How does the virtual cable actually work?
Do you have an installation video?

Posted on: 6/7 15:09
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Sway wrote:
Hello,
New member here.
How does the virtual cable actually work?
Do you have an installation video?

Whoo. Being sick sucks. Like HARDCORE.

To answer your questions, Sway:

1 - The old cables had a design flaw, namely that they were only held in place by pressure from an adhesive. Over the past twenty-odd years, that glue has weakened, causing the pins to separate, making 'dead' displays more and more common.

Now, a common solution is to solder the side that has the glue in place, creating a solid and ostensibly permanent connection that will not weaken over time. However, the cables themselves are starting to become brittle and the copper in them is beginning to corrode. My cables are pin-compatible, all-new production cables that will replace the original cables, allow a solid soldered connection, and be much easier to solder into place, thanks to design features like an adhesive strip that will stabilize the cable during soldering, and castellated holes to allow much easier connection between the board and the cable.

2 - I don't currently have an installation video. My cables, according to my fab house, are 90% through the production process, so I'd like to hope I'll have them on-hand in a week, give or take a few days. After that, I'll be collecting from those member who haven't prepaid and shipping the cables out. Once that's done, I will probably make an install video.

Posted on: 6/9 4:21
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Flex cables are on their way!

Posted on: 6/12 23:55
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/7/21
144 Posts