Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/16 6:24
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
Trying to solder the ribbon cable on the display ended up breaking the ribbon cable. The cable looks like it's a bit corroded inside anyway. Is there any reason I can't just solder 30 tiny wires of appropriate length to the display pins and also to the pins on the ribbon cable slot? It won't be pretty, but is there any good reason why it wouldn't work?

Re: Display ribbon cable alternatives
Posted on: 2/16 10:42
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
540 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
You can do that, but it is a VERY hard job to pull off. I have started one and didn't finish it yet.

I would commend you if you get it done! Keep us informed on your project. If cables break, it is very frustrating because you cannot do anything about that.

Posted on: 2/16 12:10
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
I know it won't be easy. I'm not afraid to try. I've still got some very thin wire left over from when I did a GC video HDMI mod on my GameCube using a Pluto IIx development board. I have a steady hand, and my trusty Hakko 888d with several tips so I'll let you know how it went when I'm done. I'll have to attempt it while the kids are in bed. Nothing is worse than trying to do detailed work while the three of them are fighting over a toy.

Posted on: 2/16 12:37
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/7/21
86 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I bet it wouldn't be too hard to find an appropriate flat ribbon cable replacement of the appropriate pitch. There may, likewise, be a corresponding locking connector that could be soldered onto the LED board as well.

Just a thought.

Posted on: 2/16 14:33
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
I had thought of that. I'm not sure what is meant by "pitch" and a lot of the ribbon cables from inside old computers that initially popped into my head would be too large to be of much help. By using the blue 30 AWG wire I have on hand, I think I can make it work without waiting for shipping. If there were replacement cables that would be ideal. The solution I have in mind would make soldered connections to the connectors pins and should be entirely reversible should a replacement cable ever reach production. I think I can even tie the wires into a ribbon config using some thread. It would be tedious, but the result might be worth it. I'll just keep telling myself that at least I'm not attempting to make sure replica of the ROM modules used in the Apollo guidance computer. Lol. I may eventually opt for zn actual ribbon, but I'm not even 100% sure there isn't some other issue with the display.

Could you explain pitch to me?

Posted on: 2/16 14:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
540 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Pitch is the with of the cable, what you call AWG

Posted on: 2/17 5:17
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
It took about 6 hours but I got the one display rewired. The other ribbon cable broke in the process and no longer works. I had to desolder the ribbon cable connector to solder these wires.

Now the results.

I still have lines. I don't think this one likes me.

I'm debating whether I should spend another 6 hours wiring up the other one in the hope that somehow it will magically make the lines disappear.

Another thought might be capacitor replacement, as I accidentally touched the side of an electrolytic capacitor while soldering.

I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Edited by SpectreVR on 2019/2/17 5:39

Posted on: 2/17 6:21
VB Gamer
Joined 1/27
42 Posts
It couldn't hurt to try, Console5 sells a cap kit for the VB that's ready to go.

Posted on: 2/18 18:34
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
Left eye is now wired up, but won't turn on :-\

Posted on: 2/18 23:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/2/5
USA
43 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Just happened to come on and see this - I did the same around when I joined PlanetVB... took me weeks and many retries, but this one in the picture below works like a soldered VB now. I probably had it right the first time I did it, but I made the mistake of using plumbing flux.. it may have kept giving me shorts.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2145.JPG (1,096.78 KB)
14289_5c6b38ae4feb9.jpg 2016X1512 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post