Posted on: 2/17 21:41
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
404 Posts
CoderLong Time User (6 Years)
Quote:

SpectreVR wrote:
I wish to "Learn to code".

Well, that'll be the first challenge, because you'll need to understand programming concepts before digging into someone else's compiled software. Do you have any programming experience, or will this be your first exposure to it?

Quote:

SpectreVR wrote:
I'm interested in the Mac version specifically because it appears to have superior sound and graphics. Even if the virtual boy is incapable of doing all of it, I'd rather use the best version as my reference.

If it were up to me, I'd take a look at all three of the classic Macintosh games and see what comes out. There was also a short-lived iOS version called Spectre 3D, but it's not on the App Store anymore and it won't even let me install it on my phone from my purchase history...

Once upon a time I had the games up and running in a Mac emulator called Basilisk II with System 7.5.1 on it that I'm pretty sure I just downloaded from the Apple website. Can't remember where I found the games themselves, but I still have them in my archives if I need to dig them out.

The SNES version is sort of a dumbed-down implementation of the game and I don't think it's all that interesting. However, it does have various new sorts of obstacles and stage features that would be worth incorporating into a port of the Mac-style games.

Re: Battlezone - 3D Tank
Posted on: 2/18 0:32
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
18 years ago I used to mess around a bit with BASIC on my Ti-85. More recently I did a bit of html. I had a little experience with visual basic. Long time ago also.

Outside of coding
I also used to modify Mac games by using HexEdit and other tools to do things like create plugins for Ambrosia Software's Escape Velocity. I also used to create aircraft for a flight simulator called x plane, and sometimes I could make some interesting things happen by modifying Sprite and audio assets.

I'm thinking that some things in the SNES version that make sense for a console like the virtual boy. The menus, and the intro screen for example.

The SNES version also shows that it's possible to make the game work without using as many 3D models.

Anyway, I'm interested in porting something and learning how to go about it. Maybe Atari's Tempest is a better place to start. Why nobody has put that on the VB yet I don't know. If you ask me, that should have been a launch title.

Posted on: 3/11 5:39
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
21 Posts
ok update time. Im getting a primer in cc, and java. Ive gotten a ma emulater up and running, and managed to decompress spectre supreme, and I've rediscovered my favorite program of all time Super Res Edit. As we speak I'm pulling apart all its resources and separating its assets into descrete sound, image, and code files.

That staid, it will probibly be while before cybernet login is confirmed. I am doing my best to figure this out. I'll keep you all posted.

Posted on: 3/13 3:51
VB Gamer
Joined 2016/10/14
USA
35 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
It's probably been said before but original Battlezone is one of the few games that I believe is truly timeless. Even though it's dated nowadays, there's nothing like the original. Part of what draws me to the Virtual Boy is the potential to play games with the timeless mystique of Battlezone. A good example of this is Red Alarm.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post