Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Battlezone - 3D Tank
Posted on: 1/20 8:40
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Ever since I saw this article, I have always wanted to see this game. It would be so cool because Virtual Boy could perfectly replicate the experience of a Atari Battlezone Arcade.

I wish I could program because I feel like this would make the Top 10 games for sure on the system, if released.

https://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?u032g

Attach file:

jpeg  A83F990A-3AC4-4D7E-A670-3E6446D2FF83.jpeg (20.92 KB)
2873_5c4425e73912c.jpeg 230X147 px

jpeg  578E7318-E58B-4386-9DC9-672574A00C12.jpeg (20.12 KB)
2873_5c4425fadcc66.jpeg 230X147 px

Re: Battlezone - 3D Tank
Posted on: 1/20 9:54
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/5/12
USA
147 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Have you been able to play the PSVR version? It's really fun.

Posted on: 1/20 10:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Unfortunately, Iím not really into modern gaming, I pretty much stopped being interested at the stage of N64. So I collect practically all the cool gaming related items from then and prior.

I honestly feel like games shouldnít have left the cartoon stage, I donít like playing realistic games. Thatís my biggest issue, honestly. I do own a GameCube but only for the purpose of playing all my favorites Gameboy games. :) I also own a Wii but I only play arcade rail shooters on because it truly replicated that arcade feel for me. I actually bought a PS3 practically only because it was a cheap Blu Ray player at the time.

I do have interest in Intellivision Amico! I also was an early backer of OUYA and I got a lot of enjoyment out of it!

Posted on: 1/20 23:13
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/5/12
USA
147 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
The PSVR one actually has a grid version that looks very similar to those pictures. Only difference is it's green instead of red.

Posted on: 1/21 4:53
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Thatís really neat. Iíd definitely like that, maybe when the system is super old and dead, Iíll buy one for the VR. Lol

Posted on: 2/16 12:22
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
35 Posts
Yeah that would be awesome. My favorite game back in the 90's was Spectre. It was clearly inspired by battle tanks but it was for the Macintosh computer, and DOS, and I suppose windows. There was Spectre, Spectre Supreme and Spectre VR. Unfortunately, Spectre VR wasn't in VR, it just had a lot of QuickTime video placed on objects on the battle field. Spectre was also ported to the SNES, but I think it would be infinitely better on virtual boy especially with multiplayer.

Creating 3d models is about as far as I can get, but a better way would be if someone could reverse engineer it from the DOS or Mac version and port it to VB.

Posted on: 2/17 4:42
Virtual Freak
Joined 1/27
USA
94 Posts
I think it would be great if someone developed this. Isn't that kind of what that locked up board section is on the site, here developmental based in some means (an engine to make games, or an emulator, or both, not clear on it.) It would be slick to see either classic Battlezone, or perhaps something like Gameboy's "X" popped onto the system, if not both.

Posted on: 2/17 16:42
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years)
Both Battlezone and Spectre--the actual games--could be reverse-engineered and ported to Virtual Boy, but that's a process that takes a bit of time. I'm actually doing exactly just that very process with Wario Land, so it's absolutely possible.

I don't have a vacant project slot to volunteer for this myself, but if anyone is feeling motivated to take it on, I'd be happy to teach them how the process works and hopefully get the ball rolling on it.

Quote:

Dreammary wrote:
I honestly feel like games shouldnít have left the cartoon stage, I donít like playing realistic games.

Open in new window

As the wise Yoda (probably, maybe) once said, "Broaden your horizons you must!"

Posted on: 2/17 17:41
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
35 Posts
Teach me master Yoda. I wish to "Learn to code". I have a Mac pro though. I don't know if that will be an issue. I can put windows on it if necessary.

Posted on: 2/17 21:05
VB Gamer
Joined 2/16
35 Posts
Specifically I'd like to port Spectre VR if possible, or perhaps Spectre Supreme. I have a CD ROM of the Mac version of Spectre VR, but accessing the sound data and 3d models has a number of road blocks. I got sheep shaver running on osx Sierra but I can't increase the ram enough to run Spectre VR or even run the system with all extensions enabled. I may have to set up my old iMac to do anything with this part.

I'm interested in the Mac version specifically because it appears to have superior sound and graphics. Even if the virtual boy is incapable of doing all of it, I'd rather use the best version as my reference.

Although of course if it would be easier to port the SNES version I'm game for that too. I have a physical copy of that game as well and can easily get a rom.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post