Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

VB mini Raspberry Pi
Posted on: 9/7 13:34
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
266 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I've been debating building a VB mini console based on Raspberry PI, my VB mini chassis, and mini NFC VB carts like was done for a custom NES mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT5jY35rHAE

Curious what people think about a VB version of this?

Here's the original guy who did it for the NES mini:
https://www.daftmike.com/2016/07/NESPi.html

Re: VB mini Raspberry Pi
Posted on: 9/7 15:02
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/25
Switzerland
28 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
The VB is the "first" 3d console.
Making an HDMI version with no 3d (or anaglyph) is just good for colectors.
In my opinion, the only 3rd party version that makes honnor to the VB is the Oculus version.
This what the VB was supposed to be (or sold as).

BUT beeing creative and create good 3d models for the comunity is gold ;)

Posted on: 9/7 16:46
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
266 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

czar_h wrote:
The VB is the "first" 3d console.
Making an HDMI version with no 3d (or anaglyph) is just good for colectors.
In my opinion, the only 3rd party version that makes honnor to the VB is the Oculus version.
This what the VB was supposed to be (or sold as).

BUT beeing creative and create good 3d models for the comunity is gold ;)

Maybe. I think anaglyph or shutter glasses would still be acceptable. VB is 3D but itís not headtracked so the experience is similar enough, I think.

Posted on: 9/7 18:09
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/12/29
31 Posts
My understanding (at least from reading Furrtek's notes) is that anaglyph won't work because the 3D is programmed expecting to be very close to your face; so I'm expecting 3D HDMI output would be more appropriate for a more modern HMD.

On the other hand, it may be possible to adjust the warp the output and adjust convergence in a way that makes the 3D look good on a 3D TV, or with anaglyph/shutter glasses. (And this would apply to theoretical 3D HDMI output from a real VB.) Unfortunately, that kind of image transformation is not going to be lag-free.

Posted on: 9/8 7:14
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/25
Switzerland
28 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
I realy like the mechanism of miniVB NFC cards.

Posted on: 9/11 6:25
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/5/12
USA
85 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I'd be pretty interested in the Pi concept you're referencing.

I'm also hoping someone will offer pre-assembled consoles like this guy did with Furrtek's VGA/RGB mod. I want something like this pretty bad haha

https://twitter.com/welshwuff/status/1035927080880492544

Posted on: 9/11 16:25
Joined 2016/6/10
2 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
When mednafen first added 3D support for VB, I spent a long time trying to tweak it to work on my Panasonic 3DTV. I'm one of the few people that actually love 3DTV's (when the content is done correctly), so I went into this with a positive attitude and high hopes. I just couldn't get it working right though. If there was a Raspberry Pi solution that could work in 3D, I'd jump on it. Maybe things have improved enough to make it happen?

Posted on: 9/11 20:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
792 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
This sounds cool but itís a non-3D system, so thatís sort of disappointing. Thatís why I chose to build onto Pocket Chip (I actually originally did some testing on Raspberry Pi 3B, but it just wasnít what I hoped for) which allows for on the go 3D gaming as well as video out. The split screen display should allow for use on a 3D TV.

Posted on: 9/11 21:14
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
266 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Looks like it is indeed possible with shaders. This is how VB 3D has been done on things like Google Cardboard. Totally custom but I happen to have experience with shaders. I may try it now.
Edited by mellott124 on 2018/9/11 22:58

Posted on: 9/16 6:11
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
266 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Just got things setup and tested. 3D in red/blue works fine. Mario Tennis and Hyper Fighting look quite impressive. Iíll try the conversion to SBS for 3D TVs when I have some more time.

Retropie even picks up my VB controller USB adapters so the VB controller can also be used. :-)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post