Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Furrtek Virtual boy video out mod
Posted on: 3/5 22:33
Joined 2016/5/22
USA
5 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Thanks brumbie. I have already been in contact with mobius (figured I would see if anyone else was already making them. Last I checked mobius was having issues sourcing ribbons for the project. I will check in with him again in a month or so!

Posted on: 3/6 18:31
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/12/29
47 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Can the Virtual Tap be wired using a header? If so, what size/pitch header would I need?

Or should I just solder directly to the board?

And what kind of cable/wire should I be using?

Posted on: 3/10 4:22
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/7/21
86 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

nmalinoski wrote:
Can the Virtual Tap be wired using a header? If so, what size/pitch header would I need?

Or should I just solder directly to the board?

And what kind of cable/wire should I be using?

Not as-is - there are no vias large enough to handle header pins on the Furrtek board. The board has solderable pads, but they are large enough to handle easily.

I use Kynar wire for my installations.

Posted on: 3/13 17:23
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/7/21
86 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
I have designed a small PCB to use a miniDIN8 connector that will accept the needed signals for RGB output from the VirtualTap board. I've already used it on my own VB with complete success, and an waiting for a small order of them to be delivered soon for a fellow member who asked me to recap, fix, and modify good VB.

Posted on: 3/14 0:07
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/7/3
29 Posts
Can you explain this PCB further as to what it does. You say receive the rgb signal and attach to mini din 8 connector. I have a few rgb virtual taps and was having someone install a mini din 8 connector but what does the PCB do?

Posted on: 3/14 0:34
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/7/21
86 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

ubersailer wrote:
Can you explain this PCB further as to what it does. You say receive the rgb signal and attach to mini din 8 connector. I have a few rgb virtual taps and was having someone install a mini din 8 connector but what does the PCB do?

The PCB acts as a convenient breakout board for the important signals (Red, Green, Blue, Sync, Blanking, GND) so that an installer need not solder directly to the miniDIN8 pins themselves, but rather to conveniently-sized and -placed vias. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it is very convenient.

Open in new window

Posted on: 3/14 18:19
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/8/16
19 Posts
@ RetroDan: Is it very complicated to install these parts? Is it possible to buy these parts from you and you send them together with an installation guide/ manual?

Posted on: 3/14 23:12
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/7/21
86 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

BigDen wrote:
@ RetroDan: Is it very complicated to install these parts? Is it possible to buy these parts from you and you send them together with an installation guide/ manual?

*thoughtfully* In terms of difficulty, I would say that, without my parts, the VirtualTap install is probably a 5/10, with 1 being very simple and 10 being for highly advanced solder monkeys only. With my parts, I would say that drops to perhaps a 2.5/10.

I wouldn't mind selling my boards and the parts, though I'm not sure enough people would want it to make it worth my while to have them made. Wouldn't mind being proven wrong, though.

Posted on: 3/15 11:08
VB Gamer
Joined 2018/8/16
19 Posts
Depending on the price, I would be very very interested 😃 So that means with your parts someone gets a full set to play th VB on a screen? Or are the Furrtek-parts also necessary?

Posted on: 3/15 11:59
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/7/21
86 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

BigDen wrote:
Depending on the price, I would be very very interested 😃 So that means with your parts someone gets a full set to play th VB on a screen? Or are the Furrtek-parts also necessary?

Furrtek's parts are absolutely required. Mine just make the VirtualTap installation a little bit easier.

In addition, you would need to make, buy, or modify an RGB cable to make use of the VirtualTap as per normal, though I may yet design a proper SCART connector board a la Tim Worthington.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post