Posted on: 5/21 23:30
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
128 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Very cool! The most interesting part to me is the presence of the battery, since that game doesn't support saving games.

I donít know about VB games in particular, but a fellow recently dumped a prototype of Street Fighter Zero 2 for Super Famicom (which doesnít use the S-DD1 chip so itís playable on flash carts!, but I digress). Anyway, the zip package had a .srm file (the standard save format for SNES games) and I asked him about it since that game also didnít support saving. He said it was common for prototype boards to have SRAM even if it wasnít utilized and he dumped it for completeness or in case it held some gem but that it didnít do anything useful with regard to the ROM. Maybe VB dev boards are similar?

Re: Bound High 1995 proto cartridge- Authentic
Posted on: 5/22 0:19
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2499 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Awesome! So this is the rare flash chip equivalent of the EPROM cartridge [1] we have all seen before! Note how the (E) or (F) part of the serial relate to the type of chips used. Looks quite different than the cart that has surfaced before (holding Space Pinball) [2], which was most likely a prototype flash cart.

Thank you for sharing, Cpt. F.! I hope you can dump the ROM so we can compare it to the version that was built from the (final) sources. For a quick classification, does the game look like the final version [3] or might it be an early version that looks like in the promo video [4]? The on-screen indicators, the title screen and menus should be the most interesting parts to look at.

[1] EPROM cart: https://www.planetvb.com/modules/hardware/?type=vue&sec=ep_rom_pcb
[2] Flash cart: https://www.planetvb.com/modules/hardw ... ype=vue&sec=flash_rom_pcb
[3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJ-Ak2XDqQ
[4] https://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?u001m029

Posted on: 5/22 2:05
VB Gamer
Joined 5/21
21 Posts
Ok, I put my glitchy VB in the very hot garage for an hour or so and it worked again! I played in there for quite awhile, (while sweating) and noticed no obvious bugs and made it to World 3 Stage 5 on Normal before I got too sweaty and tired awkwardly leaning over the workbench.

It looks like this one [3] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJ-Ak2XDqQ that KR155E referenced. Not the demo version.

If my VB will continue to function outside an extremely hot room I would like to play more, as I scribbled down the passwords (old habit) and it appears I was most of the way through the game.

I tried, mostly in vain, to take some video through the eyepiece. It's all pretty crappy, my phone is old and locks up, but I could try again. Is there anything in particular I could attempt to capture that would be especially helpful?

Posted on: 5/22 2:55
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
876 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
this is an interesting find. did anyone know this existed? i can't recall ever reading about this or hearing about it before.

cpt. f, would you happen to know any of the cart's history? any way to trace it back through those who have owned it? it's the provenance of this cart that has most curious. i want to pick it up and ask it where it's been! lol.

Posted on: 5/22 2:59
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1024 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)Top10 Poster10+ Game Ratings
Yeah it's hard to take video on the VB. I find a good quality cell phone usually does a great job, or if you have a DLSR you can normally change the video shutter speed to 50 which helps.

Otherwise, I'd say the most interesting part for me would be from turning on the power switch until the start of the first level. I could tell you pretty quick if there's any differences.

Posted on: 5/22 3:12
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
549 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Cpt. F. wrote:
Is there anything in particular I could attempt to capture that would be especially helpful?

The best I have been able to do was to record with my cell phone camera lens right up against one eye of the VB. You may find better fitment of your phone if you remove the eye shade (at least in my experience it helps). Make sure the room is absolutely pitch black and if not, toss a towel over the console (leaving the phone screen visible so you can still play).

Posted on: 5/22 3:40
VB Gamer
Joined 5/21
21 Posts
I was able to capture from ON to Stage 1. It appears identical to the full YouTube playthrough previously referenced.

An interesting note is that while the PCB says 1995, the in game menu has 1995,1996 Copyright.

In order to get the .AVI under 40960k I had to rush through it hitting start as fast as I could. Sorry, lol, 25sec was too long, but 19sec was fine.

Attach file:

mp4 VID_20180521_183405616.mp4 Size: 40,748.12 KB; Hits: 46

jpg  IMG_20180521_181632244.jpg (2,898.38 KB)
14738_5b0374ef7f3e4.jpg 2952X5248 px

Posted on: 5/22 4:20
VB Gamer
Joined 5/21
21 Posts
Is there another finished prototype of this game besides the one I have?

The history of the cart is pretty limited to be honest. At some point it walked out of NOA, that much is certain. May have been passed around, unclear. Then it sat in storage until now, when I asked my associate to let me investigate his old collection. He does not wish to be involved.

Posted on: 5/22 7:54
Virtual Freak
Joined 2016/5/12
USA
89 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Cpt. F. wrote:
Is there another finished prototype of this game besides the one I have?

The history of the cart is pretty limited to be honest. At some point it walked out of NOA, that much is certain. May have been passed around, unclear. Then it sat in storage until now, when I asked my associate to let me investigate his old collection. He does not wish to be involved.

Sorry if this is intrusive, but does he possibly have any other VB protos?

Posted on: 5/22 7:59
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
335 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years) App Coder
If you want to dump it, we can send you the community dumper (as I like to call it). It's an adapted retrode 2 unit.

AFAIK Eric (bigmak) or Ben has it at the moment.

Don't what ever you do send the cart to Mellott (he'll steal the ROM and make carts for EBay).

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post