Long Time User (1 Year)
So that means I can stop my paymebts to patreon? :-/

Re: PVB Emulator & Fundraiser
Posted on: 2018/12/11 22:42
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1174 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
I don't think you need to, I think he's canceled it. I didn't get a charge for his patreon last month

Posted on: 2018/12/11 22:53
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
146 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
I just checked and I *did* get charged last month as usual, so I dont think he has cancelled the Patreon. Ive been backing him since he started with a fair amount in total but he has gone totally dark so its probably time to pull back. Too bad. I had such high hopes for the project but no updates of any sort for months is no way to maintain your support.

Quote:

speedyink wrote:
I don't think you need to, I think he's canceled it. I didn't get a charge for his patreon last month

Posted on: 2018/12/12 1:43
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1174 Posts
Actually checking the link on the first page it does look to be active still. My bad, I seriously don't remember cancelling mine..

Posted on: 2018/12/14 0:50
Joined 2016/5/29
1 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
TBH, what did anyone expect out of this based on the creator's behavior? Huge gaps with no information and what little there was it was filled with tangents of how awesome the GUI's gonna be, how he was gonna code it to perfection from scratch, and so on. It reeks of an immature programmer with sky high goals and absolutely no safe foundation on where to start those from. Since day one he never even showed a PoC running on 3DS. He probably got bored and still expects free money or backed themselves into a corner and is too proud / naive etc. to ask help from the outside. Afraid to say but I wouldn't expect a VB 3DS emulator anytime soon if *this* is the best effort there is out there.

Posted on: 2018/12/14 3:41
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
834 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
The last time he showed any real definitive proof he was working on it was way back in June, after such he just made claims until early September then never logged back into PlanetVB since then.

Posted on: 2018/12/14 6:30
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1174 Posts
I don't think we should get the pitchforks and torches or anything, Guy definitely had/has good intentions.

Posted on: 2018/12/14 6:49
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
146 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
I agree with @speedyink. With a rare few exceptions, this community is very supportive and positive. Its not like he was scamming us or anything and Im sure he intended to do what he set out to do. Everyone who backs a project like that knows you are taking a risk because it is an individual subject to own constraints and potential personal issues... its not like we hired Microsoft to write us an application. Its ok to be disappointed but no need to be mean spirited, I would say.

Posted on: 1/2 0:28
Joined 2018/5/14
4 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Yeah patreon is still going pretty strong with $95 a month.

I cancelled my membership after the payment today until I see some more progress or some sign of life. I held out a bit longer than I normally do for this, I hope it can still be continued by someone else if he did stop for whatever reason.

I was really looking forward to messing around with making a game after he was done, well damn.

Posted on: 2/6 21:35
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years)
Apologies for the delay. Had something happen that amounts to little more than "a long story" at the end of the day, so I won't go into details. I feel terrible about the long absence, but I feel great about what I have to show you today...

Who wants to play some Virtual Boy games? That's a thing now!

The current build is attached to this post, compiled for Java 8.

Open in new window

The Overhaul

Since our last episode, the entire user interface has been redone from the ground up--including the CPU and VIP windows. There's not much to say for the most part, as it looks and feels the way it always did, but under the hood there's a lot less duplication of code going around, and component layouts in general have been simplified. Performance is up, stress is down.

Also, the hex editor will honor Scroll Lock when you have a byte selected. Just putting that out there.

All English-language text in the UI now comes from a localization text file that can be swapped out for any other set of localized strings when the time comes to translate to other languages, even at run-time--all controls will be updated to the new text when changing localizations. Right now the only one available is the provided US English, but the groundwork has been done whenever more languages are added.

The much-maligned VIP window overhaul was every bit as horrible as I feared it would be. I went through about a dozen different iterations of it until finally settling on the one that I... well, disliked the least. It's maybe not the most amazing approach possible, but it's functional--and best of all, it only ever accesses the data it needs right then and there. It won't decode anything from VIP memory unless it immediately needs it, and this counts for drawing the displays.

While the VIP window is implemented and functional, the backing code is in a bit of a state of limbo between two different implementations. It's not broken, and is nonetheless clean and organized, but I still wouldn't say it's in a "done" state. One of these days, but for now I'm gonna leave it and move on.

VIP

The Registers tab is the ol' classic "throw everything at the user" style of interface design. Normally I discourage too many controls on a form, but in this specific case, I feel it's appropriate:

Open in new window

In the emulation context, the VIP is now implemented to the extent I intended to implement it. The code that renders images into the frame buffers is as optimal as I could make it, though it really does showcase the need for a native-backed implementation in the future. Nonetheless, it's all lean and mean, and runs reasonably smoothly on my sorta-nifty computer.

Console

Hey, this is new! It comes in red/cyan and green/magenta flavors with use of Ctrl+3:

Open in new window

To run the program, press the F5 key. Or F8, or Pause. They all do the same thing. Press it again to pause the program.

Controls are quote-unquote "supported", and you'll have to click in the middle of the Console window after the program starts running before they'll register. The following keys map to controller buttons:

F = A
D = B
S = Start
A = Select
Up = Left Up
Left = Left Left
Right = Left Right
Down = Left Down
I = Right Up
J = Right Left
K = Right Right
L = Right Down

While running, the debugger interfaces will not be updated. Once the program is paused, the debugger will reflect the new state. At the moment, debugger controls remain active even during active emulation, so you probably shouldn't go changing settings in there manually. I mean, you could do it, but I can't promise nothing ugly will happen.

Granted, the thing runs a bit slowly in the Java implementation, but the important part is that it works. At long last, it plays games!

Unimplemented Things

The following system features remain unimplemented and may cause issues when attempting to run Virtual Boy software in the emulator:

Audio
Game Pad (the current controls support is a dirty hack)
Timer
Wait Controller
Link port
Bit string CPU instructions
Floating-point CPU instructions

On the other hand, interrupts and exceptions are implemented, and the VIP module takes full advantage of that. Homebrew games that use VIP interrupts ought to work just fine (provided they don't use any other interrupts).

Attach file:

png  AllInOne.png (60.70 KB)
3060_5c5b44fddd634.png 786X593 px

png  VIPRegisters.png (38.50 KB)
3060_5c5b450569799.png 641X480 px

png  GreenMagenta.png (28.23 KB)
3060_5c5b450a210ae.png 400X254 px
jar pvbemu_20190206.jar Size: 223.10 KB; Hits: 44
Edited by Guy Perfect on 2019/2/6 21:47

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post