Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: PVB Emulator & Fundraiser
Posted on: 2018/5/24 20:32
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Awesome! I'm happy for everyone and myself!

Posted on: 2018/5/24 20:33
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
833 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Wow, thatís amazing! Virtual Boy is getting major love on many fronts this year. You have been creating a 3D Virtual Boy emulation for 3DS, which I am stoked about. I am working on the portable stereoscopic version for PocketCHIP with another member here (that Iím not sure wants to be named as of yet.) melott124 has also been diligently working on a multicart for roms that you can write to yourself (similar to everyoneís darling the FlashBoy), with a rom dumper as well.

This is truly the year of VB!

Posted on: 2018/5/24 21:26
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
572 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
Amazing! Thank you mysterious benefactors for allowing this to continue!! <3

Posted on: 2018/5/25 2:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (6 Years)
This is a work post.

Okay, I admit, I slouched a bit for a couple of days. I was thinking the project would get demoted to "personal project" status and didn't really grind at it like I have been. But since it's once again officially my job, I went ahead and finished up the Objects tab this afternoon:

Open in new window

By this point you know what to expect from those controls on the left. Editing those will change the current emulation state to match.

The right-hand side is a different story. That area displays a simulation of what the object looks like in the scene. The black rectangle is 384◊224 pixels, which is the size of the system's frame buffer. So by previewing an object in this tab, you'll see exactly where and how it contributes to the final frame image.

This marks the first instance of stereoscopy in the project. The only available method to achieve this in Java is the usual anaglyph, which encodes each eye's image with specific colors such that they can be masked out for the appropriate eye with a set of 3D glasses worn by the viewer.

Open in new window

The most common anaglyph configuration is red for the left eye and cyan for the right eye. Ordinarily this can lead to a color imbalance because of the way the human eye is more sensitive to green light than either red or blue light, causing erroneous distribution of light intensity for each eye.

However, as you can see in this macro example, the overlapping pixels are not white, but sort of a light peach color. I've done my best to equalize the apparent intensity of colors by default, although this will of course be configurable by the user.

Open in new window

Because the human eye is so sensitive to green light as compared to red and blue, I recommend using green-magenta anaglyph glasses instead of red-cyan, if you can get your hands on some. I want to say it's fairly common in the wild, so it shouldn't be hard to find a set. The amount of color correction needed for this combination is less than in the first example.

Attach file:

png  Objects.png (17.54 KB)
3060_5b075784d3df3.png 800X600 px

png  RedCyan.png (0.49 KB)
3060_5b075788ae134.png 110X90 px

png  GreenMagenta.png (0.50 KB)
3060_5b07578ca7e97.png 110X90 px

Posted on: 2018/5/25 2:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1152 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
That's great news! I'll definitely add myself to the list of patreons, I wish I could do a decent amount but I can't at this time, but I hope to at least help a little.

Posted on: 2018/5/25 4:13
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/7/18
Australia
17 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Awesome!

Posted on: 2018/5/25 6:18
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/28
25 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
So now just "worlds" and the framebuffer tabs?
The registers in the VIP are pretty extensive, will there be a tab that just collects all those together?

Posted on: 2018/5/25 19:40
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Worlds, Scene, Framebuffer and Registers tabs remain. There are many fields between many registers, so depending on how much space things take up, there might be multiple tabs. On the one hand, the window can be resized, but on the other hand, there is such a thing as "too cluttered", and lots of emulators have that.

Posted on: 2018/5/27 22:29
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Request regarding 3D:

Would it be possible to include a scanline interleaved mode? My PC monitor is passive 3D, which uses the same type of polarized glasses you get at the movie theater to send every other scanline to one or the other eye. I'll be fine with anaglyph, but if it's not too much trouble, this mode would be nice to have. Also, you should include a swap button, since the vertical position of the window will determine which eye sees which image (and some people have anaglyph glasses with red on the wrong side).

Posted on: 2018/5/29 18:10
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Happy Memorial Day weekend to those who observe it! I had hot dogs. Delicious, char-grilled hot dogs.

I'll see about scanline interleaving. There's no graceful way to pull that off, especially in Java, but where there's a will, there's a way!

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post