Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: PVB Emulator & Fundraiser
Posted on: 8/30 13:08
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
202 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
How is it looking on the VB Emulator front?
I got the feeling everthing has slowed down quite a bit. :(

Quote:

BigDen schrieb:
I am so excited about that and hope it will be a success!! This would be my no. 1 reason to buy a 3DS :-)

Do you guys know if this pjoject is also promoted on social media (facebook, youtube) so that Guy Perfect may get more supporters and of course money for this project via patreon membership?

Like I said before, the 500USD and more would be already together if the poeple would have something to play with.
That planned debugging features are spot on, no question about that but right now it is just to much theory and has very little use for the usual gamer. But those are who will pay.

We need to be realistic here. The debugger material will be used by maybe 100 people in the next 3 years. It is Virtual Boy afterall.
The Nintendo 3DS is nearing its end of lifespan. People will start to loose interest in that platform at one point. This could render the 3DS VB Emu idea quite useless. Of course there will be a 3DS homebrew scene going on after the 3DS death but the usual gamer has long moved on to try the newest hacks on the switch or the next HyperGameboy.

Also I read your posts here very carefully and what I learned is that you do the usual Coder thing. You code a thing and smash it down again just to code it again in the hopes to make it better.
That is not a bad thing but that can get a bad thing if you repeat that to much. I know very well that coders are never satisfied with their own code. After a week they always find something to trash it again. I have seen it many many times and in the commercial sector somebody will step in at one point and say it is good enough because otherwise you step on the same spot forever and nothing moves on. The project is now like 4 month in and is is still about Debugger Windows.

I really would suggest to alter the roadmap a bit and focus first on things which brings you the needed support and cash.

Posted on: 8/30 22:10
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
129 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:
Fire-WSP wrote:
The Nintendo 3DS is nearing its end of lifespan. People will start to loose interest in that platform at one point. This could render the 3DS VB Emu idea quite useless. Of course there will be a 3DS homebrew scene going on after the 3DS death but the usual gamer has long moved on to try the newest hacks on the switch or the next HyperGameboy.

I don't think that the "usual gamer" would have much interest in the Virtual Boy anyway. But the lovers of stereoscopic or just unique gaming consoles will stay dedicated to the 3DS and surely also are a more matching target group for the VB and this emulator project. The 3DS is more popular, then the VB ever was. But just like the VB, it's a very unique console - a handheld with an autostereoscopic display.

Also, the emulator will only run on 3DS devices with custom firmware anyway. I don't think, that especially CFW users will loose interest so quickly in the 3DS. Maybe there even is a chance, that 3DS homebrew will increase when Nintendo buries the 3DS, because CFW users want new games from other sources then. To me, one of the main reasons to install CFW on the 3DS is to expand it's lifespan, as I belive that it will be kept alive by the homebrew community ... look how great even the "stillborn" Virtual Boy is being kept alive :)

Posted on: 9/1 19:05
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
129 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:
Fire-WSP wrote:
you do the usual Coder thing. You code a thing and smash it down again just to code it again in the hopes to make it better.

Basically, you're speaking of perfectionism. And as I also was a perfectionist once, I also know that your request is a very hard thing to ask a Guy Perfect ;)
But of course I get your point. At work, professionals often can not afford perfectionism, due to time and budget. So I first gave it up at work, but kept it for my private projects. During the last years, I made the experience, that it can also be a good thing for private projects, to set limits to perfectionism. I don't consider any of my latest projects perfect, but I'm still very happy with the results ... and happy to actually have so many results :)

What are your thoughts about this, Guy Perfect? Do you think, you could set limits to your heart bleed for this project to push it further?

Posted on: 9/4 19:33
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
384 Posts
CoderLong Time User (6 Years)
Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
How is it looking on the VB Emulator front?
I got the feeling everthing has slowed down quite a bit. :(

It fortunately hasn't slowed a great deal, but the things I've been working on over the past six weeks or so don't "look" like anything on the front-end, and presenting it here wouldn't look like a step forward. Every post would be "it looks exactly the same, but it's better, I promise."
I've incorporated several features that were originally slated for "eventually", but as the UI was being pieced together, it became quite clear that "eventually" needs to become "ahead of time", so a lot of planning and preemptive implementation has taken place to ensure the rest of the pieces have a place to fall.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Also I read your posts here very carefully and what I learned is that you do the usual Coder thing. You code a thing and smash it down again just to code it again in the hopes to make it better.
That is not a bad thing but that can get a bad thing if you repeat that to much. I know very well that coders are never satisfied with their own code.

On the contrary, I'm generally pleased with the code I produce, taking the time to simplify the algorithms and carefully document the source. The work I've already presented demonstrates that. Over the course of a project like this, certain requirements present themselves after implementation has already begun, necessitating revisions or else those requirements will have to be omitted.

I will say that I made an error by misjudging the task of constructing the UI I envisioned in my head, especially considering the unexpected limitations Java has imposed. I was strongly confident with my designs for the emulation core--code that has remained brilliant since I started work on it--and basically assumed the UI would follow suit. Although I do have the UI under control, it has certainly taken longer than I would have liked and I want to extend my gratitude for everyone being patient while I work with it.

Ernest Hemingway is said to have put it best: "The first draft of anything is shit." No one wants to read the first draft of a book, or the first rehearsal take of a song, or the first storyboard of a film. Revisions are a regular part of the creative process, so it should come as no surprise that they're happening with this project as well.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
The project is now like 4 month in and is is still about Debugger Windows.

A common misconception regarding software development is that if it looks done it is done, and conversely if it doesn't look done it isn't done. I ask that you refrain from making that assumption here. The debugger windows are critically important, not just for the development and reverse engineering side of things, but also because they greatly aid in testing and debugging the emulation core.

One of my earliest attempts at emulation years ago had CPU instructions all neatly implemented, but when it came time to test it and make sure everything was working correctly, I couldn't. There was no debugging output, so I was somewhat powerless to verify whether my code was as correct as I thought it was. With this project, I can see what the CPU sees: I know what instruction comes next, I know what's in each register and I know the contents of RAM. The same goes for the VIP and ultimately the other hardware components as well.

Without some sort of debugging interface, the emulator itself couldn't be debugged. Since the project calls for a debugging interface as it is, it makes sense to focus on that concurrently with development of the emulation core. Every piece of the machine is connected, and each piece supports the others.

Quote:

STEREO BOY wrote:
Do you think, you could set limits to your heart bleed for this project to push it further?

I don't know that I'd call it perfectionism. Certain things are, such as retooling something to eliminate senseless duplication, but other things aren't. Consider the following features:

• Supports multiple languages
• Performant and responsive
• Accessible
• Consistent with system/user settings
• Minimal duplication (-:

These are all somewhat abstract things, except maybe the language one which is easy to visualize. They're all requirements for the application, but when I started, they were all in that "eventually" category. For example, every time I hard-coded some English-language message, I thought to myself "I really shouldn't be doing it this way", and I knew that each one I did would make more work for myself down the road.

I wanted to focus on "results", and kept letting these things slip by. They ultimately caught up with me, and the excessive duplication of the VIP window was what sent me over the edge. If this was ever going to be anything more than a big steaming pile of first draft, something needed to be done. At first, that was going to be tidying up the VIP window. Then it became the other things.

All of that restructuring is done now. I'm putting the UI back together now, setting it up so the user experience is more or less the way it was before. It looks exactly the same, but it's better, I promise.

And hey, if you need some hype, I'm proud to announce that the hex editor now honors Scroll Lock! Yeah, if that doesn't get you fired up, nothing will.

Posted on: 9/4 22:54
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
129 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:
Guy Perfect wrote:
It looks exactly the same, but it's better, I promise.

And I am absolutely convinced. Please go ahead. And please tell us, if you're running out of budget. I'll see if I can raise my support then :)
Or, as Ernest would have cheered: ♫ Keeep scrollin' ... scrollin' ... scrollin' ... scrollin' ... Lock! ♫

Posted on: 10/5 19:01
Joined 7/11
3 Posts
Any new updates in the last month or so?

Posted on: 10/9 21:20
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
43 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
He said on my Discord DM with him that the VIP window is doing pretty well. He's also been in a tight spot with his other personal things. Oh boy, it's been months since the Java app got updated, and I'm still hyped for the next announcement/release.

Posted on: 11/20 6:01
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
43 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Don't forget that the 3DS's ARM11 processor is dual-core. It makes it consume more processing power per VB CPU cycle (20 MHz).

Posted on: Yesterday 12:48
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
202 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Any news on the emulator? :)

Posted on: Yesterday 15:47
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
43 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Any news on the emulator? :)

I have a feeling that the project is dead.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post