Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: PVB Emulator & Fundraiser
Posted on: 6/4 19:35
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
384 Posts
CoderLong Time User (5 Years)
Still workin' on that Worlds tab. Tabs are of course related to one another, plus the VIP brightness and anaglyph colors, so it's important to make sure everything's following the same rules and duplication is kept to a minimum. It's been an interesting game of cat and mouse each time I add a tab, as something winds up getting revised or rewritten in order to accommodate the new tab's needs.

The approach I'm going with processes the output image directly without going through the hoops of drawing every individual element of every world. For each pixel in the image, worlds are sampled from front to back (the hardware draws back to front). The world itself handles the details of how to find out what the pixel value is, depending on its coordinates, background or object group. As soon as a left or right pixel receives a value, that pixel is no longer processed. Once both eyes receive pixel values, drawing ends for that pixel and the process moves onto the next one.

I'm considering adding a feature to the emulation core that can process VIP rendering either as efficiently as possible using the above method, or as accurately possible using some method calibrated to the VIP operations on the hardware (which needs to be researched someday). That way, time-critical applications like 3DS can just produce a frame image as fast as possible, while development settings can help profile performance without running on the hardware.

Posted on: 6/5 15:16
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/5/31
USA
43 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Man, let me tell you, I have no idea what is being described because I'm not a programmer, but I absolutely love these technical updates.

It's like you're creating the Rosetta stone so the entire world can enjoy these games that we all love on a more easily accessible device that seems like the most natural solution.

I cannot wait for the one day to actually see this work as it should. I'm also confused at why Nintendo never did this themselves a long time ago.

I cannot thank you enough Guy!

Posted on: 6/6 19:24
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
200 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Very nice progress here.
Also thank you to that guy who donated a huge sume to keep it running for a few month.
The Patreon also looks quite okay so far.
But it will still going slow there until there is something playble on screen.
People from GBATemp for example are mostly not very interested in deep technicial information. They only want to knew as much as what is needed to hack your system to play emulators or roms. They don't care about Worlds or VIP functions.
Most of them were babys or not born when the VB was available.
So they only act upon sensation and on what they can see and touch.
It will propably take a bit more time before patreon brings in money more frequently.

Posted on: 6/10 2:35
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
384 Posts
This is a work post.

That pesky Worlds tab is finally done. After over 9000 revisions to the underlying code of the VIP window, all tabs are now simplified and playing nice with one another. And worlds are implemented.

By this point I've kinda forgotten exactly what I need to say about it... The Objects and Worlds tabs are now present, which do a simple anaglyph output for the time being. The default colors are red and blue, but you can toggle between the perception-calibrated colors sets with Ctrl+3.

The Framebuffer and Registers tabs remain, but I need to sit down and figure out what comes next. I've been fighting with Java's middle-of-the-road graphics support for so long that my train of thought derailed a couple weeks ago and never got back on track. O-:

The current build is attached to this post, and the Sacred Tech Scroll has been updated on the project page with the latest revisions.

Attach file:

jar pvbemu_20180609.jar Size: 191.18 KB; Hits: 23

png  WorldsTab.png (49.76 KB)
3060_5b1c7239e67e9.png 640X480 px

Posted on: 6/10 5:46
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
36 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I'm assuming this is Mario Kart Virtual Cup? That picture shows a very nice Mode-7 graphic of a Mario Kart racetrack to my eyes. And that perspective projection makes it look nice!

Has anyone experienced the generic colors not working in all but the Characters tab? I'm having this issue. Not even Ctrl+3 is changing the color palette.

Attach file:

jpg  bandicam 2018-06-09 20-45-02-313.jpg (86.13 KB)
14437_5b1c9ed715499.jpg 1360X691 px

jpg  bandicam 2018-06-09 20-43-41-649.jpg (87.16 KB)
14437_5b1c9ee966eed.jpg 1360X691 px

jpg  bandicam 2018-06-09 20-44-18-681.jpg (101.47 KB)
14437_5b1c9ef6450cb.jpg 1360X691 px

Posted on: 6/10 7:00
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1014 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)Top10 Poster10+ Game Ratings
That's actually the F Zero homebrew. Interesting project, but halted unfortunately :(

Posted on: 6/10 8:58
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
36 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Oh, thanks! I was wrong!

I'm also experiencing another problem.

When the emu starts, the anaglyph colors initialize to red and blue. Pressing Ctrl+3 makes it green and magenta. Do it again and red and cyan. Do it once more and it's back to green and magenta. There's no way to get the red/blue one back. Note that the colors blue and cyan are different.

Posted on: 6/10 18:29
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
384 Posts
Quote:

StinkerB06 wrote:
Has anyone experienced the generic colors not working in all but the Characters tab? I'm having this issue. Not even Ctrl+3 is changing the color palette.

If the program initializes the palettes to black, they'll be drawn as black even when using the generic color scheme. All the generic palette does is use a pre-defined set of brightness levels instead of the current brightness settings in the VIP. As such, black is black no matter what. (-:

Quote:

speedyink wrote:
That's actually the F Zero homebrew. Interesting project, but halted unfortunately :(

It ain't dead, though. I'm curious to try offloading some of the image processing to the CPU and see if I can boost the performance without affecting the output. But that's for another day.

Quote:

StinkerB06 wrote:
When the emu starts, the anaglyph colors initialize to red and blue. Pressing Ctrl+3 makes it green and magenta. Do it again and red and cyan. Do it once more and it's back to green and magenta. There's no way to get the red/blue one back. Note that the colors blue and cyan are different.

That's correct. The red/blue set is just the default, and it's not changed until Ctrl+3 is used. The final application will allow the anaglyph colors to be fully configurable, but I highly discourage use of straight-up #ff0000/#0000ff for reasons discussed earlier.

Posted on: 6/13 11:41
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/6/24
USA
36 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
I simply can't wait for this to happen.

Attach file:

jpg  bandicam 2018-06-13 02-34-21-551.jpg (148.28 KB)
14437_5b20e69d89664.jpg 705X455 px

Posted on: 6/25 21:04
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
384 Posts
Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion came out of nowhere and took my attention for a week, but I'm back on the Registers tab and things are going swimmingly. Expect the VIP window to be mostly done this week, save for the Framebuffer tab that will be coming later.

Don't grow too attached to the current GUI (CPU window included), because it is subject to change eventually. With each new piece that goes into the interface, I come up with ideas and learn things about how different pieces interact. Eventually I'm going to gut the whole thing and rebuild it (bigger, faster, stronger, etc.), but not right now. There are two reasons for this: 1) I could spend all my time making things perfect and then never really moving the ball forward and 2) after more GUI elements go in, I may find myself in a position where I just have to rewrite it all again anyway.

So for now, it's business as usual, with the functional-yet-lackluster GUI that will be replaced one day. (-:

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post