Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

PVB Emulator & Fundraiser
Posted on: 4/15 3:48
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
383 Posts
CoderLong Time User (5 Years)
It's finally happening for real this time! Working behind the scenes with some community members, I decided to take an honest swing at an in-house PVB emulator at a full-time capacity. This will be my actual day job. So for the first time in history, I'm going to put my skills to work and produce some actual results. (-:

This community has always been amazing, and I have a good feeling about the emulator initiative going forward. The official project page can be found here:

http://perfectkiosk.net/

So why should you care? Aren't there Virtual Boy emulators out there already? Let's see what the project page has to say...

Quote:
The initiative has four primary objectives:

Open in new window
Nintendo 3DS Emulator
I'm sure most of us thought about Virtual Boy when we first heard about the Nintendo 3DS. A custom emulator specifically designed to run on 3DS can take full advantage of the system's power and capabilities, giving us true stereo Virtual Boy on the go.

Open in new window
Reverse Engineering
Any time we want to learn about how a game works or make changes to it, we need the right tools to dig in and take a look around. A cross-platform desktop application is just the ticket for providing the user with the right kit to expose all the deepest secrets buried within Virtual Boy software.

Open in new window
TAS
The tool-assisted speedrun is a cornerstone of video game culture, and like reverse engineering, we need the right tools at our disposal in order to get the job done right. The aforementioned desktop application pulls double duty by bringing TAS-focused utilities to the party.

Open in new window
Documentation
Comprehensive documentation of the Virtual Boy's internals will come from emulator research, and it's a perfect way for homebrew authors and modders to learn about the system's features. Those who remember the Sacred Tech Scroll document I wrote can look forward to a brand new version of it.

For further reading of what exactly is planned, refer to the technical document trail on the project page.

How exactly are we gonna pull this off? Glad you asked...

I have enough money in savings to begin work immediately (2018-04-18), but within a few weeks, I'm going to need to rely on financial support from the gaming community. We'll be reaching out to other sites to gather support, since this undertaking spans a broader scope than what solely applies to Planet Virtual Boy.

A conservative estimate of my monthly expenses comes out to around $500 USD, and with enough interest, I'll be able to keep this up full-time. By "full-time", what I mean is 40 productive hours every single week, with status reports and a detailed outline of the development requirements. Planet Virtual Boy has its own developer working for it to make this dream come true. (-:

Donations are managed through a Patreon page:

https://patreon.com/GuyPerfect

For now, this thread will be the place to be notified of progress and for general discussion of the initiative. Thanks again for being such a great community, and for giving me a chance to do what I really love. <3

Special thanks to Fire-WSP, STEREO BOY and KR155E for their assistance in getting the ball rolling.

--Guy Perfect

Re: PVB Emulator & Fundraiser
Posted on: 4/15 5:44
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/28
25 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Woot! The Guy is back and ready for action! I remember trying to help out with some C library stuff you were fooling around with 6 or 7 years ago. Well, in the meantime I've had 3 kids and teach math full-time at a High School here in Las Vegas, so VB has fallen by the wayside.

Next year will be my first year teaching Computer Science and one of my objectives is getting students working on home-brew projects for old systems (teaching low-level programming, computer architecture, and graphics). A VB emulator for 3DS sounds intriguing, as many of my students may have one and be willing to give home-brew for VB a try.

I don't think I'll be able to contribute in a meaningful way to the programming of a Planet VB emulator, but I do have $80 burning a hole in my Venmo account right now. If you like cash money it's yours brother! If you have Venmo I can shoot it over to your lickety-split man.

Posted on: 4/15 23:21
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
117 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Perfect!
My base pledge is in the pot - maybe I'll be able to raise it soon ...

Posted on: 4/15 23:53
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
62 Posts
Im looking forward to this!

Posted on: 4/16 0:07
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
62 Posts
you are going to need more coverage for this to work.

post this to
nintendoage
youtube
facebook
instagram
gamespot

and any other gaming related forum to get noticed.

Posted on: 4/16 1:49
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
8 Posts
This is really awesome! I can't wait to watch this happen!

Posted on: 4/16 3:08
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1006 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)Top10 Poster10+ Game Ratings
Sweet deal, glad to see this finally happening!

Posted on: 4/16 3:13
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
754 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (6 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
I’d actually buy a 3DS if such an emulation became possible as it would be so cool.

Posted on: 4/16 4:37
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
383 Posts
CoderLong Time User (5 Years)
Thanks for the warm reception, guys. Never know what to expect when one of these goes up. (-:

Big thanks to those who, on the first day, have already pledged financial support. The world runs on people like you. <3

Quote:

Nes Freak wrote:
you are going to need more coverage for this to work.

Reaching out is going to be the best way to increase awareness of the initiative. I'm going to ask that if you or anyone else has any ideas for which communities we can get in touch with, speak up!

I'll also ask that someone other than me makes the actual announcements in those communities, since otherwise it will look like I'm barging in asking for money, which isn't the case. (-:

Quote:

Dreammary wrote:
I’d actually buy a 3DS if such an emulation became possible as it would be so cool.

Start saving your pennies, then!

On that note, I'm going to go to bed. Gotta get all rested up for my first day at my new job tomorrow. (-:

Posted on: 4/16 8:17
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
62 Posts
i want to give you money but i dont have a lot to be making donations.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post