Nicht eingeloggt.
Passwort vergessen?

Bitte erst registrieren. Danach ist es möglich Beiträge zu schreiben.

Nach unten   Vorheriges Thema   Nächstes Thema

[Release] Virtual Lab English "Translation"
Geschrieben am: 01.04.2018 0:14
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 01.07.2011
Deutschland
1109 Beiträge
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Hey everyone,

VirtuousRage posted some screenshots for translating Virtual Lab some time ago. After that I was asked by several members of the community to do a translation patch. I didn't really see the point as all the Japanese text is already translated on screen. When I checked for the first time I saw that the hack wouldn't be as easy so I moved on.

However, I had a look again today and decided to do the absolute minimum. I didn't do most of the proposed rearrangements and didn't alter the English text. I just removed the Japanese text and moved the English text on the "Read Instructions" screen a bit.

I attached the patched ROM as well as my notes (in case someone cares).

Datei anhängen:

zip Virtual Lab (E).ROM.zip Größe: 46.86 KB; Hits: 223
zip Virtual Lab (E).Patch.zip Größe: 0.57 KB; Hits: 184

png  Virtual Lab (E)-0001.png (2.02 KB)
1709_5ac007d50c37a.png 384X224 px

png  Virtual Lab (E)-0002.png (5.43 KB)
1709_5ac007e01b8ac.png 384X224 px

png  Virtual Lab (E)-0003.png (6.17 KB)
1709_5ac007ec1b513.png 384X224 px
txt Notes.txt Größe: 0.79 KB; Hits: 107

Re: [Release] Virtual Lab English "Translation"
Geschrieben am: 01.04.2018 8:48
VB Gamer
Dabei seit 05.02.2017
USA
45 Beiträge
Long Time User (2 Years)
I'm impressed that you can make these modifications.

I may not be worthy to ask this question; but in layman's terms - What are the steps between having a rom file, and having a code in front of you where you would actually be able to tweak certain things before re-compiling it into a rom file?

Is there a certain software used for this?
Does it look like crazy machine code when the rom is un-archived?

Geschrieben am: 01.04.2018 10:59
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 01.07.2011
Deutschland
1109 Beiträge
Zitat:

mips5000 schrieb:
I'm impressed that you can make these modifications.

I may not be worthy to ask this question; but in layman's terms - What are the steps between having a rom file, and having a code in front of you where you would actually be able to tweak certain things before re-compiling it into a rom file?

Is there a certain software used for this?
Does it look like crazy machine code when the rom is un-archived?

I don't decompile the code but read the machine code. There are ways to get a readable representation of the assembler code of the whole ROM but I usually just use Mednafen to look at it (hit Alt+D while a game is running). Usually I start with Reality Boy to look where images are on the BGMap and in the char memory. I then set breakpoints to figure out when that data is written. After that I analyze the code that writes the BGMap/Chars to figure out where it loaded the data from. Depending on what I'm doing I then change the data that is loaded or the actual code. Usually I use a Hex editor for the simpler tasks (like with this one) or I write a tool that does the patching for me.

Geschrieben am: 01.04.2018 22:19
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 28.12.2008
Slowenien
628 Beiträge
Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCoderContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (10 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
If you're interested in doing more reverse engineering, my notes might help: http://matejhorvat.si/en/vboy/vlab/

Geschrieben am: 01.04.2018 22:34
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 01.07.2011
Deutschland
1109 Beiträge
Zitat:

HorvatM schrieb:
If you're interested in doing more reverse engineering, my notes might help: http://matejhorvat.si/en/vboy/vlab/

I actually read through your password posts after I finished everything. You are absolutely right with how confusing the programming is. I'm not sure if they disabled optimizations or wrote everything in asm and copy/pasted their code. There is this function that writes the Japanese text into the gameboard. Every single char of a line is written by its own line of code. The code is the same over and over again.

Geschrieben am: 01.04.2018 22:58
Nintendoid!
Dabei seit 09.01.2017
USA
108 Beiträge
Long Time User (2 Years)
Thunderstruck is truly a god among us.
Thanks dude!!

Geschrieben am: 02.04.2018 1:35
Nintendoid!
Dabei seit 09.11.2012
Venezuela
127 Beiträge
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreLong Time User (6 Years) 90+ Game Ratings
Awesome! Maybe with this i'll try the game...i guess XD (Seriously, i don't like this game). Good work though :-)

Geschrieben am: 02.04.2018 18:02
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 04.06.2014
USA
570 Beiträge
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
Thanks for making the patch!

Geschrieben am: 02.04.2018 22:53
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 17.06.2013
Kanada
1145 Beiträge
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Zitat:

thunderstruck wrote:
Zitat:

HorvatM schrieb:

I actually read through your password posts after I finished everything. You are absolutely right with how confusing the programming is. I'm not sure if they disabled optimizations or wrote everything in asm and copy/pasted their code. There is this function that writes the Japanese text into the gameboard. Every single char of a line is written by its own line of code. The code is the same over and over again.

That's kind of funny actually, it truly is a "my first game" sort of scenario is seems =P

Geschrieben am: 05.04.2018 12:25
PVB Elite
Dabei seit 01.07.2011
Deutschland
1109 Beiträge
Zitat:

retronintendonerd wrote:
Thanks for making the patch!

Always happy to help.

Zitat:

KGRAMR schrieb:
Awesome! Maybe with this i'll try the game...i guess XD (Seriously, i don't like this game). Good work though :-)

I think it has potential. Just the execution is not that great.

Zitat:

speedyink schrieb:
That's kind of funny actually, it truly is a "my first game" sort of scenario is seems =P

I think they rushed this allot.

Nach oben   Vorheriges Thema   Nächstes Thema

Bitte erst registrieren. Danach ist es möglich Beiträge zu schreiben.