You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: I present VUE3D, a dedicated VB emulator for Nintendo New3DS...
Posted on: 2018/3/26 19:48
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years)
I set up a Patreon page, available immediately: [redacted].

Where do we want to go from here? Main page of PVB? Set up a comprehensive thread and solicit interest from other communities?
Edited by Guy Perfect on 2018/3/26 20:45
Edited by Guy Perfect on 2018/3/26 20:46

Posted on: 2018/3/26 20:09
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
215 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
A proper thread here would propably the best.
Then we can start to spread the word and wait :)

Posted on: 2018/3/27 4:13
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
146 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
I can't find it and the link is I guess redacted by PlanetVB?
Quote:

Guy Perfect wrote:
I set up a Patreon page, available immediately: [redacted].

Where do we want to go from here? Main page of PVB? Set up a comprehensive thread and solicit interest from other communities?

Posted on: 2018/3/27 17:42
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
No, I removed it because it turns out that Patreon is not at all adequate as a donation platform. And that's ironic, since half of YouTube apparently runs on it. It's actually a subscription platform, and they do not facilitate one-time payments in any way. The proverbial last straw was when the first donator tried to donate and couldn't because he didn't have a credit card associated with his PayPal account, and Patreon requires payment methods to support recurring payments (and PayPal requires a credit card for those).

So instead, I'm just getting PayPal set up. I was on the phone with them a handful of times yesterday to figure out what went wrong with an ancient account and finally got that closed, freeing up my bank account to be used once again. As soon as their transactions are processed, I should be able to finalize it.

Fire-WSP: I sent you a file on Discord. Not sure if you regularly check Discord, but check Discord. (-:
Edited by Guy Perfect on 2018/3/27 17:56
Edited by Guy Perfect on 2018/3/27 17:59

Posted on: 2018/3/27 19:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
587 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Guy Perfect wrote:
No, I removed it because it turns out that Patreon is not at all adequate as a donation platform. And that's ironic, since half of YouTube apparently runs on it. It's actually a subscription platform, and they do not facilitate one-time payments in any way. The proverbial last straw was when the first donator tried to donate and couldn't because he didn't have a credit card associated with his PayPal account, and Patreon requires payment methods to support recurring payments (and PayPal requires a credit card for those).

So instead, I'm just getting PayPal set up. I was on the phone with them a handful of times yesterday to figure out what went wrong with an ancient account and finally got that closed, freeing up my bank account to be used once again. As soon as their transactions are processed, I should be able to finalize it.

Fire-WSP: I sent you a file on Discord. Not sure if you regularly check Discord, but check Discord. (-:

Paypal.me is usually much easier for donations. I think it's less of a fee than Patreon, too.

Posted on: 2018/3/27 20:15
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
Quote:

retronintendonerd wrote:

Paypal.me is usually much easier for donations.

Ah, so that's how to do it! Many thanks. The PayPal website is fairly straightforward, but it's missing some key information and features that one has to look up elsewhere.

One thing that irks me, and I confirmed this over the phone, is that PayPal doesn't believe in privacy... For any given transaction, the identities of both parties will be made visible. This by itself might be negotiable, but it's not giving me any options to receive payments from non-PayPal users (via credit card, etc.), so I'm looking at Patreon again.

For experimental purposes, I've reactivated the Patreon page:
https://www.patreon.com/GuyPerfect

While Patreon doesn't support one-time payments out of the box, they made an official statement that you can effectively do it by canceling your pledge at the beginning of the month after the transaction is processed. Otherwise, a recurring payment is scheduled.

If anyone has further insights on using Patreon in this way, don't be afraid to speak up! Otherwise, this is probably the route we're gonna take.

Posted on: 2018/3/27 21:35
PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
587 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
I actually just had to check my PayPal.me link a little while ago since I forgot what it was lol. I personally don't care if people see how much I donate but that's just me. I think there might even be a way to work around it with a "screen name" of sorts.

I'm new to both platforms so if I learn anything new I'll be happy to share :)

Posted on: 2018/3/28 13:46
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
215 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
@GuyPerfect
cool, cant wait to get the ball rolling :)

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post