You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: I present VUE3D, a dedicated VB emulator for Nintendo New3DS...
Posted on: 2018/3/10 15:47
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
147 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Did a small rework of the Mockup:

Great ideas! I so want this to become a real thing!

Posted on: 2018/3/11 11:27
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
129 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Quote:
Fire-WSP schrieb:
Also this UI or Frontend could be done already without the actual VB emulator behind it.
If we include all the box art and infos for the games, people could at least already switch trough the entire VB library and see whats in there.

Hey, that's a good idea indeed. A VB library browser should be pretty feasible as a first target. And actually that would be a very cool 3DS app already! Certainly a great promo for an emulator!

But I'd suggest to enhance the library with 3D screenshots then (and maybe even 3D videos for some games). This is also doable already and the 3DS users could already see the nice 3D graphics of the VB games!

Here also comes another naming suggestion ...

Attach file:

png  newVB.png (11.21 KB)
14288_5aa5049314cf0.png 432X224 px

Posted on: 2018/3/11 12:45
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
219 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
The Idea with the 3D screenshots for a preview is actually very good.
I still have enough space in the bottom touch screen.
We should show 3 pictures for each game.
I will adjust the mockup very soon.

About the name.
Good idea but I was aiming for something short.
VUE|3DS is cool
VUE@3DS
But the name is actually the least problem and also a future coder for the emu should have some saying on this ^^

A video for preview would akso be nice. I have no idea what video is working on the 3DS right now.
But such a video needs to be in good quality without many artifacts. So the filesize is propably a bit gif. Therefore the clips should be only as long as needed. 20 sec maybe?

Posted on: 2018/3/11 15:56
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
439 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
How about
Virtual One(the boy has grown up into a man)
or
V-1

Posted on: 2018/3/11 18:04
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years)
Don't count me out just yet. A couple weeks ago I finally came up with a satisfactory way of mixing Java with C and started poking around with a new implementation. Over the course of about four or five afternoons I have what I think it is a nice debugger interface, and the CPU is fully implemented (save for a few instruction classes that will be mini-projects in and of themselves).

Last week I was preparing for a CompTIA Nework+ certification, which I earned on Thursday, so between spats of looking for a new job this week, I might have some time to poke around some more. Free time isn't as abundant as it once was. (-:

Attach file:

png  NotBad.png (59.25 KB)
3060_5aa561833ba0c.png 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/3/12 18:44
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
219 Posts
Long Time User (15 Years)
Not Bad indeed!
Looking forward. :)

As a coding noob I need to ask, why another debugger?
Is this because it needs to be ARM specific for the 3DS?

Also why do you want to mix Java with C?

For testing will citra do for a while?

Since we talked about GBA Temp above.
Are you planning to do this project on your own or do you plan to turn it into a open source/community project?

Sorry lots of qustions :D

Posted on: 2018/3/12 21:07
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
418 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years)
Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
As a coding noob I need to ask, why another debugger?

The short answer is that existing debuggers for... well, most emulators... suck real-life balls, not just virtual ones. I wanted something with features I could use to do reverse engineering, not just the barebones "hey look a debugger" features emulators tend to have (if any at all). I have many things in mind such as automatic function isolation and character dot pattern breakpoints among others.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Is this because it needs to be ARM specific for the 3DS?

Naw, I just needed a way to see what the emulator sees to make sure it's working correctly.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Also why do you want to mix Java with C?

C is better for low-level things such as a portable emulation core, whereas Java is better for high-level things like cross-platform GUI support, Unicode, SSL and a whole host of other things. Neither is fully sufficient on its own, but I want to leverage the strengths of both in the same project.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
For testing will citra do for a while?

For the time being I won't be doing any 3DS development. However, the C library is entirely C code (doesn't even use the standard runtime library), so anyone can easily plug it into a 3DS project and hopefully have a little Virtual Boy up and running in no time.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Are you planning to do this project on your own or do you plan to turn it into a open source/community project?

It'll be open source when it's released, and if anyone's interested in development in the mean time we can work something out. In the past, it's come down to a matter of people wanting to help out but not having the corresponding skill set, so I just started up this new iteration of the project without announcing it.

Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
Sorry lots of qustions :D

Questions are the bridge to knowledge! Never apologize for seeking more knowledge.

Posted on: 2018/3/12 22:18
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
129 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Just playing around with the logo ...

Attach file:

png  VUE3DS_mirror.png (6.89 KB)
14288_5aa6ee8204414.png 632X308 px

png  VUE3DS_red-mirror.png (7.00 KB)
14288_5aa6ee8749e4b.png 632X308 px

png  VUE-3DS.png (5.67 KB)
14288_5aa6ee8d7af93.png 688X308 px

png  new-VUE_A.png (4.75 KB)
14288_5aa6ee938e76b.png 200X200 px

png  new-VUE_B.png (4.83 KB)
14288_5aa6ee982daa7.png 336X148 px

Posted on: 2018/3/12 23:11
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/7/18
Australia
17 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Those logos are awesome! I think my favourite besides the original is the second :).

Posted on: 2018/3/13 8:18
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
129 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Thanks

Quote:
Fire-WSP schrieb:
I have no idea what video is working on the 3DS right now.

The 3DS uses 3D-AVI: that's two streams inside an AVI container. You can use this tool to encode 3D video for the 3DS: https://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/uti ... ds-video-1-33-f31828.html

Quote:
Fire-WSP schrieb:
But such a video needs to be in good quality without many artifacts. So the filesize is propably a bit gif. Therefore the clips should be only as long as needed. 20 sec maybe?

I experienced that the compression indeed tends to cause artifacts for redscale gradients. But greyscale should work fine. And maybe the developper can implement the option to display greyscale videos in redscale ...

I had the same numbers in mind – 3 screenshots and for some special games a short video

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post