You are not logged in.
Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: I present VUE3D, a dedicated VB emulator for Nintendo New3DS...
Posted on: 3/13 11:13
Nintendoid!
Joined 2017/1/31
Germany
110 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Actually, "STEREO BOY" also would be a good name for an VB emulator ... don't you think? A bit long maybe. Anyway, I'm considering to rename my PVB account ...

Attach file:

png  STEREO-BOY-Logo.png (8.79 KB)
14288_5aa7a4402a9bd.png 780X320 px

Posted on: 3/13 12:48
Virtual Freak
Joined 2017/10/29
USA
56 Posts
whats about Virtual 3DS or VB3DS? this project looks interesting yeah ive been wishing to see a VB emulator that works on the 3ds is it only going to work with the new 3ds though?

Posted on: 3/13 17:11
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
486 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
How long has it been out? I used to have one on my N3DS but it had poor compatibility and ran slow. I would love a new one that works better. I wish we could get one to work with the 3D on the 3DS

Posted on: 3/15 8:14
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/28
25 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
You can do it Guy! I'm still patiently waiting for the VB Tech Scroll. I feel like a robust emulator and debugger are some of the last few pieces for VB home-brew. Think about what's out there now: VBDE, Home made carts, Link Cables. People complain about the current emulators not always mimicking the hardware well enough. Add a capable emulator and debugger and suddenly its much easier to do everything!

Posted on: 3/15 11:08
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
195 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
Well there are now good emulators for Desktop Systems. Mednafen is surely good. But most desktop systems have horse power so the emulator can do his work.
The 3DS (N3DS) on the other hand is not very powerful and it makes certainly no sense at all to run a Desktop Emulator on it with RetroArch on top. That is just overkill.
That is why I came up with the idea to start this thread and see what can be done.
And from what I can see, a 3DS VB Emu is long overdue :)

Posted on: 3/15 15:23
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
195 Posts
@Stereo Boy
Hehehe Stereo Boy is actually cool.
But I also really like VUE3DS_red-mirror.png from your earlier post. It is short, nice and clean. It reflects the VB colors and also would fit quite well on a VB game case ^^

Quote:

Guy Perfect schrieb:

For the time being I won't be doing any 3DS development. However, the C library is entirely C code (doesn't even use the standard runtime library), so anyone can easily plug it into a 3DS project and hopefully have a little Virtual Boy up and running in no time.

It'll be open source when it's released, and if anyone's interested in development in the mean time we can work something out. In the past, it's come down to a matter of people wanting to help out but not having the corresponding skill set, so I just started up this new iteration of the project without announcing it.

@GuyPerfect
Thank you for all the answers :)
Now I understand better.
This C code you are doing, will it still be ARM specific or is this also up to the person who is using it?

I fully understand the problem finding persons with the right skill set. This is also why I wrote earlier, that for the UI part, we won't need necessarily a high skilled coder. The emulator code behind is another story. We all count on you! :D

In general, the UI part is something we could do already.

Posted on: 3/18 17:27
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
379 Posts
CoderLong Time User (5 Years)
Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
This C code you are doing, will it still be ARM specific or is this also up to the person who is using it?

The notion of CPU-specific C code doesn't apply, since C was designed for writing programs in an implementation-independent way. In order to run C code on ARM, it simply needs to be compiled for ARM. It can be compiled for other CPUs as well, such as x86-64 and our good friend V810. The C code itself never changes in this case: it is only compiled differently depending on the target CPU.

The C code I'll prepare for the desktop application will also work without changes on 3DS. I don't know what kind of performance it would have, but it should be one of the best options since it doesn't do anything other than the barebones required for simulating a Virtual Boy.

Posted on: 3/18 18:19
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/5/16
USA
101 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
That sounds great! It will be very interesting to see how this works out!

Posted on: 3/19 14:27
Nintendoid!
Joined 2004/5/28
195 Posts
Quote:

Guy Perfect schrieb:
The notion of CPU-specific C code doesn't apply, since C was designed for writing programs in an implementation-independent way. In order to run C code on ARM, it simply needs to be compiled for ARM. It can be compiled for other CPUs as well, such as x86-64 and our good friend V810. The C code itself never changes in this case: it is only compiled differently depending on the target CPU.

The C code I'll prepare for the desktop application will also work without changes on 3DS. I don't know what kind of performance it would have, but it should be one of the best options since it doesn't do anything other than the barebones required for simulating a Virtual Boy.

Sounds very interesting.
Looking forward to the first version :)
But when it comes to the system documentary all needed infos should be available right?
Or are there still things unknown about the VUE in generell?

So far I didn't wanted to open a thread on GBA Temp about this and wait for moe infos and so on. What do you think should we already start with the Frontend thingy?

Posted on: 3/19 16:33
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2012/12/4
379 Posts
CoderLong Time User (5 Years)
Quote:

Fire-WSP wrote:
What do you think should we already start with the Frontend thingy?

There's still a ways to go on the emulator. I don't know how long the project will take, since I don't know from day to day how much I'll be able to work on it. Though seeing how I'm between jobs, there's always the possibility that STEREO BOY can pay my bills for a couple months and I can genuinely work on the project full-time!

... Actually, that's a real possibility... How rich is STEREO BOY?

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post