Posted on: 2017/12/6 3:43
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
198 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

mellott124 wrote:
I have an updated FormLabs print coming. And when I asked about red translucent prints they said they have new materials and colors coming in the new year.

Formlabs announced new color kits today. Red is one of them. Anyone got a Formlabs 2 printer?

Re: Carbon Fiber VB Game Cases
Posted on: 2017/12/10 21:40
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
198 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Quote:

mellott124 wrote:
Quote:

mellott124 wrote:
I have an updated FormLabs print coming. And when I asked about red translucent prints they said they have new materials and colors coming in the new year.

Formlabs announced new color kits today. Red is one of them. Anyone got a Formlabs 2 printer?

Also got the updated print from Formlabs in the translucent blue. No more warp or so much flexibility because they cured it correctly. If the tough resin could be died red it would be pretty awesome. Some risk it would be slightly purple because of dying a blue part red. I don't have any experience with dying resin to know for sure.

Posted on: 1/5 21:33
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
198 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Well, the company where I work is buying a Formlabs 2 printer so I'll soon have access to one. :-)

I've also been talking with Formlabs and they seem fairly confident that they can print a functional VB connector using the Formlabs 2. So I've started buying pins to see which will work best with the VB. I'll also be working on my own model of the connector.

I'm hoping to see a 3D printed case and connector assembled this year into a full cartridge. Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 1/6 1:18
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
750 Posts
Collection Top10ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (10 Years) Donator
Wow, great news.

Posted on: 1/6 3:46
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/7/10
31 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Great news, Mellott! I cannot wait to see them.

Posted on: 1/6 9:16
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
864 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
ending the donor problem is one issue I've wanted to see addressed for a long time. I am really looking forward to more news. thanks Kevin.

Posted on: 1/7 2:46
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/5/20
11 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
This sounds really promising. I don't know how you find time to have a real job Kevin, seems to me like you have enough on your plate with these virtual boy side projects.

Posted on: 1/7 6:59
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
334 Posts
Long Time User (3 Years)
Yea... This is definitely some great news. Can't wait to see the final results!

Posted on: 1/7 11:44
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
331 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) App Coder
OK for a few prototypes, but a mould is going to be needed to make cases / connectors in volume.

Posted on: 1/7 16:22
Nintendoid!
Joined 2016/12/15
USA
198 Posts
Long Time User (1 Year)
Agreed. But until someone, or a group, is willing to pony up $10,000+ per mold, this is going to be the best I think can be done.

That or we keep waiting for mold pricing to come down but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Then we still have the issue of the pins in the connector.

Quote:

MineStorm wrote:
OK for a few prototypes, but a mould is going to be needed to make cases / connectors in volume.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post