Is There Reproduction Demand?
Posted on: 2017/6/22 21:08
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/9/14
USA
97 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
Hey Everyone,
Recently I made a few reproduction games for myself, and Lester Knight asked if I would be interested in making repros for the community
(reference this post http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... pic_id=6747&post_id=37230 )

are reproductions in demand? is no one making any?

I may be interested in doing them, but only if a few things lined up. I don't make or have access to the PCB design files, those came from MineStorm. I don't like making repros of games that exist (unless its a modified version such as a translation). As well as I wouldn't feel right making repros of homebrews or translations, unless the people who put the time and effort into making or translating the game were okay with it and got a kick back. (as would MineStorm if he was willing to sell his PCBs for any reproduction work) I'm not sure what the price of the repros would be with the donor games (and other materials), the cut for the coders, MineStorms cut, and a bit for me for my work as well.

I'm not saying I'm going to be doing this, not sure if I'm 100% willing or have the time, but if I did, and all the stars lined up, would there be an actual demand?

I just find it hard to believe there's not a bunch of people doing this, as with SNES/NES/Genesis there's quite a number of repro makers (I used to be one)

What are your your thoughts?

Re: Is There Reproduction Demand?
Posted on: 2017/6/23 1:32
Virtual Freak
Joined 2011/1/21
USA
57 Posts
10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years) Top Donator: 2nd
I'd be interested for sure. Especially for some of the translated games. It'd be nice to have their own dedicated cartridge, so I can keep the flash boy for development.

Speaking of, once I finally finish up my own game (finally stopped re-writing the code to make actual progress), I'd love having it made to a cart like that - so certainly another reason I'd be for it.

I'm sure others are on a similar page too, in either or both cases.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 2:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1006 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)Top10 Poster10+ Game Ratings
While I probably wouldn't buy any unless games that weren't ever released on here in CIB formats started to become available.

But I definitely like the idea of having a Planet Virtual Boy approved carts and the like available. Especially since the people who actually developed the games would be aware and even get compensated a bit.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 4:42
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
751 Posts
Collection Top10 2ndContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (10 Years) Donator
I'm more then willing to help with supplies.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 10:51
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
869 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
what did i start? this seems like a great idea. this community could benefit from other sources of cart production as would future homebrew development. i'm rooting for not making CIB releases, just carts. i'll keep an eye on this thread to see which way it goes. i'll probably have something more to add when the price point comes up for discussion.
Edited by Lester Knight on 2017/6/23 11:22

Posted on: 2017/6/24 19:10
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/8/24
USA
42 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)10+ Game Ratings
I know I'd be interested! I'd really love to try some of those more obscure Virtual Boy games, but getting a FlashBoy is expensive, and I can never seem to get anything 'ROM + Retro Gaming' to work right, plus, it kinda takes away part of the retro gaming charm to me. Being able to one-handedly pull out a nice fat stack of VB games and say it's nearly the thing's whole game library it just too great to lose in my opinion.

One thing I would suggest (if you are planning to pursue this further (which I hope that you can do)), is to make it a bit more apparent that the repros, are repros. You wouldn't want someone to buy them from you and then sell it off to a newbie VB collector at the full value of the genuine version, simply because they don't know any better. Maybe try to minimally print 'Reproduction' somewhere on the label, and/or use different custom artwork.

Good luck with this project! ;)

Posted on: 2017/6/24 20:28
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1006 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)Top10 Poster10+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Dr.Crackers wrote:
I know I'd be interested! I'd really love to try some of those more obscure Virtual Boy games, but getting a FlashBoy is expensive, and I can never seem to get anything 'ROM + Retro Gaming' to work right, plus, it kinda takes away part of the retro gaming charm to me. Being able to one-handedly pull out a nice fat stack of VB games and say it's nearly the thing's whole game library it just too great to lose in my opinion.

One thing I would suggest (if you are planning to pursue this further (which I hope that you can do)), is to make it a bit more apparent that the repros, are repros. You wouldn't want someone to buy them from you and then sell it off to a newbie VB collector at the full value of the genuine version, simply because they don't know any better. Maybe try to minimally print 'Reproduction' somewhere on the label, and/or use different custom artwork.

Good luck with this project! ;)

I believe the OP suggested that he wasn't comfortable to do games that had a release, which I agree with. Otherwise, even on homebrew carts, I think it would be a cool idea to have the PVB logo somewhere on the label.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 22:22
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
869 Posts
i hope that we reach a point when consent has been given and carts for all existing CIB releases can be made. I would like to see games in the hands of every VB gamer who wants or needs them.

when a new batch of PCBs are ordered, it would be nice to see some type of marking or writing placed on the PCB that differentiates it from what came before and also from retail carts. i feel like, artistically and for posterity, this is the way to mark all future carts.
Edited by Lester Knight on 2017/6/24 23:28

Posted on: 2017/6/25 14:47
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/4/14
Canada
32 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
As long as the price was comparable to the price of the Flashboy/past repros, I'd probably be on board for one or two.

Posted on: 2017/6/26 0:16
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
869 Posts
Quote:

litephiter wrote:
As long as the price was comparable to the price of the Flashboy/past repros, I'd probably be on board for one or two.

considering a lower price point than $75+ is why i am suggesting cart only releases. perhaps with a donor trade-in policy (2 or 3 carts) the price for manufacturing a reproduction could become even lower than expected.

a 3rd party group or a single member could always offer separately the complete CIB experience for those who want it. by making that content a separate option the initial cost for gaming should go down.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post