Just bought a Virtual Boy yesterday !
Posted on: 2017/5/29 0:03
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/5/28
France
19 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Hello there !

Yesterday i bought a Virtual Boy in Akihabara, it's not my first time in Japan nor the first time seeing a Virtual Boy for sale, the idea of getting one made it's way since many years.
I've learned only recently that there was quite a cool homebrew scene on the VB so that might have hyped me up !

So here i am now, just saying hi to everybody.

I have five games at the moment:
-Red Alarm
-Teleroboxer
-Panic Bomber
-Galactic pinball
-Vertical Force
All complete in their boxes.

And i'm going to buy these ones before leaving Japan:
-Mario Clash
-Mario Tennis
-Warioland

Is there any titles you would recommend outside of these ones ? It seems these are the best ones.

Also, i have a line of pixels not showing on my right lens, and my VB is still in warranty for one week, do you think i should take it back ?
Hopefully they will exchange it with another one but at the moment it was the only one available, so i would prefer to keep it.
If i do keep it, would it be expensive to repair ? Because i don't know if it's related to the ribbon problem everybody seems to have.

Sorry for all the questions !
Hope i can contribute to the site in the future !

Re: Just bought a Virtual Boy yesterday !
Posted on: 2017/5/29 0:25
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
437 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Greetings K-K Man,
Welcome aboard,
You gotta get a Flashboy from Minestorm.
Once you do that you gotta play Bound High and the Hyper Fighting demo.
You may have to wait a year for the roms but it's well worth the wait.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 1:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1168 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Congrats on getting a VB and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't bother returning it for the line missing on the display. Regardless of which system you end up with, you'll want to get your displays soldered by one of our trusted display solderers here. All Virtual Boys are going to end up with lines eventually, the permanent fix is to get them soldered :)

Posted on: 2017/5/29 8:30
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/5/28
France
19 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Morintari wrote:
Greetings K-K Man,
Welcome aboard,
You gotta get a Flashboy from Minestorm.
Once you do that you gotta play Bound High and the Hyper Fighting demo.
You may have to wait a year for the roms but it's well worth the wait.

Yes i definitely will get a Flashboy !
As a fan of Street Fighter and in order to play all those cool homebrews !
By the way i heard Hyper Fighting was only playable on a cart (the full version) is that right ?

Quote:

speedyink wrote:
Congrats on getting a VB and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't bother returning it for the line missing on the display. Regardless of which system you end up with, you'll want to get your displays soldered by one of our trusted display solderers here. All Virtual Boys are going to end up with lines eventually, the permanent fix is to get them soldered :)

Yeah i saw that, so the dead pixel is part of that fix too.
I have region switched most of my pal 8/16 bit systems and backilghted some Gameboys already, the best thing i did was completely changing the caps of a Game Gear, which was kinda hard due to the lack of space inside.
I fixed my pinball machine and the monitor of my Killer Instinct cabinet too but that was so much time consuming that i would rather send the boards of my VB to repair.
Depending on the price i could try it though, i fixed a Gameboy screen once so i feel pretty confident.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 12:58
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
If it is one line of pixels, you definitely bring it back, it most probably is a dead pixel which isn't fixable!

Posted on: 2017/5/29 16:26
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1168 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Oh crap, I was thinking this was the connection issue, if it is in fact a dead pixel then listen to TheForce!

Posted on: 2017/5/29 17:50
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
437 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
Yes Unfortunately the whole game of Hyper Fighting is only available in full cart form meaning you have to buy the cart to play Hyper Fighting.

Oh by the way nice gamming set up I love the KI arcade it adds a nice touch.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 18:08
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/5/28
France
19 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Yeah i know a dead pixel when i see one, and this one is pretty much dead.
So if it's not fixable i'll definitely bring it back, thanks for saving my money guys !

I saw one complete in box today, new and never opened in an obscure shop... the box has seen the sun but it was quite cheap for what it is, the guy also had Jack Bros and Mario Clash all unopened at decent prices. So if they don't have one spare i'll go grab that one instead.

Attach file:

jpg  VB Dead Pixel.jpg (378.98 KB)
14411_592c4783b93fd.jpg 2868X1836 px

Posted on: 2017/5/29 18:14
VB Gamer
Joined 2017/5/28
France
19 Posts
Long Time User (2 Years)
Quote:

Morintari wrote:
Yes Unfortunately the whole game of Hyper Fighting is only available in full cart form meaning you have to buy the cart to play Hyper Fighting.

Oh by the way nice gamming set up I love the KI arcade it adds a nice touch.

That's actually quite cool to see homebrews on carts, i'll try to get it if i'm not completely poor by the time i come back from Tokyo.

Yes it does, that thing is LOUD, and quite massive too.
It's one of my favorites gaming experience, whenever i play this game it just feels good, and i'm very happy that i bought it before the remake was even a thing because the prices are just too high now.

Posted on: 2017/5/29 19:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2009/12/30
Netherlands
545 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreContributor10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (9 Years)
Yup, now I am a 100%, have seen dead pixels about 8 times now and this definitely is one. Would bring it back if I were you.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post