Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Collecting Vintage VFD Tabletops and Handhelds
Posted on: 2017/12/19 22:24
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1145 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
That's funny, I bought the Q Bert "Arcade classic" for my husband, since he likes Q Bert. They're pretty nice looking actually, while I kept the box mine sits outside of it. They make it pretty easy to put them back in anyway.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 22:58
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
I would like to keep all mine new in the boxes, but I know eventually, some day the batteries are going to corrode. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I'm actually considering buying another Q*Bert, Joust, and Rampage, just so I can play them.

Posted on: 2017/12/20 4:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Here is solid proof that number 09 is going to be "Defender":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kRvsfbadIs

I searched 3 different Wal-Marts in my area today and couldn't find numbers 08 and 10 in any of them. It appears that the Wal-Marts in my area haven't released them yet for some reason, as they definitely all still had an abundant supply of numbers 03 through 07.

Posted on: 2017/12/21 5:59
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

Benjamin Stevens wrote:

I searched 3 different Wal-Marts in my area today and couldn't find numbers 08 and 10 in any of them.

I gotta hit up Wal-Mart before I go to work tomorrow to grab a few gifts for some co-workers, if I see that they have "8" and "10" I'll buy them and ship them off to you along with the original receipt, and you can just pay me whenever.

Sound good?

Posted on: 2017/12/21 19:54
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Just checked my local Wal-Mart, and no 08 or 10. This is the same location where I purchased my ones from, they did have a bunch of them like almost a month ago.

Attach file:

jpg  Arcade Classics at Wal-Mart.jpg (822.32 KB)
8015_5a3c033373fbc.jpg 3025X1653 px

Posted on: 2017/12/22 0:50
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/10/2
112 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years)
It's interesting that they use such a variety of technology for these games - some have 80s style static LEDs, and some have the latest active panels that look like a TV screen. Wonder why that is.

Posted on: 2017/12/22 3:45
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

vuefinder83 wrote:

I gotta hit up Wal-Mart before I go to work tomorrow to grab a few gifts for some co-workers, if I see that they have "8" and "10" I'll buy them and ship them off to you along with the original receipt, and you can just pay me whenever.

Sound good?

Man, that would have been good. Too bad they didn't have any.

I really hope that some Wal-Marts somewhere will still have them, or that they will come back in stock sometime soon. I really don't want to have to resort to paying the higher prices on eBay for something so recently released, but it may end up being the case that I will have to.

I tried asking a guy at the Wal-Mart I visited today if he knew whether his store might get them in stock soon, but we all likely know how helpful the typical Wal-Mart employee is. :-/

When I go to visit my girlfriend this weekend, I'll have to check the Wal-Mart where she lives.

Quote:

pinmagic wrote:

It's interesting that they use such a variety of technology for these games - some have 80s style static LEDs, and some have the latest active panels that look like a TV screen. Wonder why that is.

It seems that Wal-Mart wanting to exert its power has a large part to do with it. Based on the release history of these things, it seems that the classic static screens was going to be the original direction taken, but then when Wal-Mart caught wind of it, it seems that Wal-Mart wanted to introduce a "premium" line of the machines, so the vast majority in the Wal-Mart exclusive line gets the versions that are largely all slightly modified NES ROMs, it seems. Thus, everybody else gets the static screen versions to sell, while powerful Wal-Mart gets the versions that are closer to the arcade versions.

Posted on: 2017/12/27 23:49
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/10/2
112 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years)
For those who plan to keep their games sealed in the box, you may want to reconsider. The batteries provided are GP brand "heavy duty" batteries. I replaced mine immediately with a brand name alkaline, to minimize the chance of leakage over time. They go back in the box easily, so if you take a little care in opening them, it shouldn't be noticeable.

BTW: WalMart may be restocking some of these. The website only lists 3 of the titles (for some strange reason) - it appears that 2 were just restocked. (This morning, Qbert said "1 left", and Frogger said "2 left". Now, it doesn't say that.) But Centipede is still listed as OOS.

Posted on: 2017/12/28 2:47
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
I sure hope that these get restocked, and that Defender doesn't get canceled. I fear that something has happened, which will cause Defender never to get released, in which case people would have to settle for homebrew Joust-hacks with altered cabinet art.

Posted on: 2017/12/28 3:26
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1145 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Isn't there a jumper in two of these to turn one of them into a different one? I want to say Centipede and one of the other ones. I guess the two have identical boards with both games on them, and just a jumper which dictates which actually gets booted.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post