Lost Password?

Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Unraveling the Virtual Boy Enigma article
Posted on: 2015/8/21 20:02
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
http://www.fastcompany.com/3050016/un ... irtual-boy-20-years-later

Just stumbled across this very in depth article for the 20th anniversary of the Virtual Boy.

Re: Unraveling the Virtual Boy Enigma article
Posted on: 2015/8/21 20:42

Joined 2011/3/10
USA
-1 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
this is a great article. i didn't know it was codenamed the "dragon project". is this where the Dragon Hopper title came from?

Posted on: 2015/8/21 21:04
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (7 Years)
I also wondered that. There's some other interesting stuff too, like why there are so many warnings, and the research that was done that proved it was actually good for the eyes. It's too bad that research never finished in time to promote it as a benefit. Instead the media went in the opposite direction, latched on to all the warnings and used them as ammo for their 'unhealthy' campaign.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 21:53

Joined 2008/4/23
Great Britain
-1 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (12 Years)
Fascinating article. Learned a lot of new information.
I've always wished the VB had a Battlezone-type game, so it was interesting to read about the Private Eye tank demo they created.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 1:15

Joined 2012/7/9
USA
-1 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Someone should program a game like described and name it "Private Eye Tank."

Posted on: 2015/8/22 1:23

Joined 2011/3/10
USA
-1 Posts
i had always assumed 3D Tank was going to be a "port" of Battlezone, but after reading this article, maybe it was more closely related to the tank demo? i would love to play that demo on the head tracking prototype unit.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 1:37

Joined 2012/7/9
USA
-1 Posts
Now that I have watched Battle Zone videos I could see that having been a super fantastic game. I'd definitely enjoy a VB game like that! :)

I think it could be the next homebrew worth releasing on cart.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 1:51

Joined 2011/3/10
USA
-1 Posts
you never got to experience Battlezone in the arcade? there were a few games like that where you had to look through the scope to see what you were doing. i recall one in full color, but can't place its name. Battlezone stands out in my memory because I recently played one again. i always thought a 3D-depth version would have been right at home on the VB. wireframe and everything, it just seems like a no-brainer.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 11:17

Joined 2011/4/27
USA
-1 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 1stContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (9 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Jeez... the first thing I see is the alleged August 21st release date of the Virtual Boy instead of August 14th, which most likely came from the contradictory information in the Wikipedia article. I have since changed all of the August 21 dates in the Wikipedia article to August 14. I guess time will tell if my changes remain unaltered.

Posted on: 2015/8/22 13:39

Joined 2012/7/9
USA
-1 Posts
I thought that seemed horribly wrong but still skipped over it visually. I am happy to know the origin of our beloved 3D console, as it's super interesting.

Sucks to find out that the Nintendo President was one of the reasons for why we didn't get good Mario games. He actually seems to have been a large amount of why the VB sold poorly... I mean honestly he wanted to keep the main Nintendo characters out of VB's lineup. Lame.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post