Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

radare2 Virtual Boy support
Posted on: 2015/7/9 0:19
Joined 2014/11/20
Spain
6 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
For those of you who don't know, radare2 is a reverse engineering framework. It comes with a nice set of tools to help you visualize and document disassembled code. Read more about it here.

I recently implemented support for the V810 architecture, which means you can now use it to disassemble and analyse VB ROMs.
The assembler isn't implemented though, so the code patching capabilities aren't there. I could do it if there's enough interest, but I have no plans at the moment.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it here because someone might find it useful.

Attach file:

png  vbradare2_1.png (30.96 KB)
4404_559d9cb5ddb01.png 821X488 px

png  vbradare2_2.png (101.29 KB)
4404_559d9cca16cf5.png 893X524 px

png  vbradare2_3.png (90.97 KB)
4404_559d9cd2bdea2.png 893X524 px

Re: radare2 Virtual Boy support
Posted on: 2015/7/9 11:29
Virtual Freak
Joined 2013/9/11
Great Britain
68 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)
Looks good danielps, thanks for sharing your work.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 15:48
Joined 2015/7/9
1 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
I was sent here from another VG Dev site. I'm curious if this can be used to rip the sound files from games and create a multitrack cart of all known VB sound files. Perhaps same for graphics library. Then we code it into a VB info cart with info on the games, BG's, graphical assets, histories, etc.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 20:17
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Sounds cool. Will check it out later. I would definitely be interested in the code patching capabilities.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 2:22
Joined 2014/11/20
Spain
6 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Quote:

hildenbraugh wrote:
I was sent here from another VG Dev site. I'm curious if this can be used to rip the sound files from games and create a multitrack cart of all known VB sound files. Perhaps same for graphics library. Then we code it into a VB info cart with info on the games, BG's, graphical assets, histories, etc.

I'm not into romhacking myself, but I think that it might work for your purpose, although with a lot of effort. It's probably easier to use an emulator to dump sound memory or something, but I'm just guessing.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 12:05
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
336 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years) App Coder
Quote:

Yes, that would make a great cart. If someone does the hacking, I'll definitely build them.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 14:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2287 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10 3rdContributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:
Quote:

Yes, that would make a great cart. If someone does the hacking, I'll definitely build them.

If such a cart were made, it would make all of my wildest, giddy little schoolboy dreams come true...

Posted on: 2015/7/10 21:16
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
Quote:

danielps wrote:
For those of you who don't know, radare2 is a reverse engineering framework. It comes with a nice set of tools to help you visualize and document disassembled code. Read more about it here.

I recently implemented support for the V810 architecture, which means you can now use it to disassemble and analyse VB ROMs.
The assembler isn't implemented though, so the code patching capabilities aren't there. I could do it if there's enough interest, but I have no plans at the moment.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it here because someone might find it useful.

I never used radare2 so I just tried it a bit. I understand that your pull request has not been accepted yet? At least I could find the asm_v810.dll anywhere in the binaries package. Also changing the architecture with "e asm.arch=v810" didn't work.

Could you maybe post it here so that I don't have to compile it myself?

Other then that I managed to dissemble some functions from my test rom, just with the wrong architecture. This article helped a bit: http://canthack.org/2011/07/adventure ... imple-shellcode-analysis/

However, I'm overwhelmed by the amount of features that are there. Could you maybe just throw some basic commands/features at me so that I know how to get started?

Posted on: 2015/7/10 22:33
Joined 2014/11/20
Spain
6 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
The pull request has been accepted, but it's not yet on a stable release. You can either build it from source or wait for a nightly at bin.rada.re.
AFAIK it doesn't use any special dependencies on linux and you just build it using some bash scripts at sys/. I haven't tried on Windows but it seems to use MinGW, so it should be similar.

Anyway, I'm not by any means a radare wizard, but I'll try to explain the basics:
To set the architecture you can pass the argument "-a v810".
For example, if you want to disassemble an instruction:

rasm2 -a v810 -d 5f45
will disassemble 0x455f as "add -1, r10"
To disassemble a file (more in the screenshot below):

r2 
-a v810 rom.vb

If you're not too comfortable with having to learn cryptic commands, the visual mode is a great place to start. There's an intro to that here.

Once you've annotated stuff, renamed functions or whatever, save it as a project with:

Ps prj_name
and the next time, you can open it with:

r2 -p prj_name

For more complex stuff you should read the book and watch radare.tv.

Attach file:

png  snatcher_disasm.png (132.03 KB)
4404_55a0277825c03.png 812X758 px

Posted on: 2015/7/17 18:14
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
Quote:

danielps wrote:
The pull request has been accepted, but it's not yet on a stable release. You can either build it from source or wait for a nightly at bin.rada.re.

Totally missed the link to the nightly build. Works great, Thanks. Makes reading asm much easier then using the mednafen debug feature.

The code patching capabilities would be an great addition for me. But I guess only a handful others would use it.

I saw your video running my Snatcher demo on a 3DS btw. Cool stuff.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post