Re: [Demo-Release] Snatcher
Posted on: 2015/4/20 14:00
VB Gamer
Joined 2007/10/21
45 Posts
Long Time User (11 Years)
Quote:

tetris911 wrote:
don't worry about that because gonintendo.com is known for having a bunch of immature trolls just posting negative comments since they got nothing better to do.

Yeah, that's putting it mildly. I post there every once in awhile, but I steer clear mostly due to the blind "N" loyalty. If this was an unreleased "N" translation and was being released on the 3DS or WiiU Virtual Console, they would have been all over it.

The VB by nature has a very limited fan base, so of course the standard person playing games today is not going to be interested, but at least so called "N" fans should be happy to see a game like this getting made.

The VB could have had a much different life if games like this had come out originally, or if the great "N" hadn't thrown in the towel so soon after release.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 20:11
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2005/9/17
USA
312 Posts
Long Time User (14 Years)
There's also a mention on the Retronauts post at USGamer.net, without any links, though. The podcast itself is pretty good -- Jeremy Parish describes the mirrors in VBs as spinning, whereas I would call them vibrating... but that's nitpicky, and off-topic.

Thunderstruck, this is amazing, and I applaud you heartily for the effort. This is just wonderful; really tugs at the heartstrings, too.

I *love* the idea of this coming out episodically. Insofar as continuing from episode to episode, Kr155e mentions:
Quote:
Since the FlashBoy Plus' SRAM is not touched by the flasher, each part can simply pick up the savegame of the previous part and continue from there.

Which seems great. However, I'm one of those with an original FlashBoy, rather than Plus, so I assume that's not something that would work for me. Could some sort of password system work? I don't know how much play-data Snatcher has at any one time as I have never played it (inventory items? player choices?) but if the story is more of a visual novel, then maybe there's very little data to actually transfer from episode to episode -- maybe players can only progress to certain points if they have certain items or something like that -- so a password-style system would only need to contain the data that isn't "required" by the end of each episode. Does that make sense at all, or am I way, way overthinking it? Certainly I wouldn't want to inconvenience everyone else by pushing for some sort of FB- compatibility when everyone else has FB+'s -- I'd be happy to upgrade at some point.

Lastly (geeze, wall of text post!), just from crossing my eyes as on your test image showing how the conversions work, I'd *love* to see your 2D-to-3D tool become more generic. I think something like that could greatly speed up homebrew development for certain types of games.

This is all just phenomenal. Great work, and thank you. It's a true tribute to Red Metal and the community as a whole. This post aside, I'm really at a loss for words.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 21:25
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
There's also a mention on the Retronauts post at USGamer.net, without any links, though.

Missed that one, thanks. Good podcast indeed.

Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
I'm one of those with an original FlashBoy, rather than Plus, so I assume that's not something that would work for me. Could some sort of password system work?

I'm planning to put some auto save feature in. Not sure about the multiple roms transition yet. We will see...

Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
Lastly (geeze, wall of text post!), just from crossing my eyes as on your test image showing how the conversions work, I'd *love* to see your 2D-to-3D tool become more generic. I think something like that could greatly speed up homebrew development for certain types of games.

I will create a post about all the tools somewhen next week. If people actually plan to use it I will polish things and make a release.

Quote:

jrronimo wrote:
This is all just phenomenal.

Thanks. Also thanks to everyone else who posted.

Posted on: 2015/4/22 21:18
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/2/15
Netherlands
250 Posts
Long Time User (9 Years)
This is freakin' sweet. Never would have expected to see this on VB (no, I don't lurk enough to have known about the last attempt. :P).

Really, great job on this. :)

Posted on: 2015/4/23 7:09
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/7/29
111 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
I'd heard much about the title but never played Snatcher before now. WOW - what an amazing game and an even more amazing port! Can't wait to play through it on VB

Posted on: 2015/4/23 15:49
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2015/3/28
USA
371 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Amazing work done here. The 3d looks awsome on the virtual boy.

Posted on: 2015/4/23 23:53
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/4/30
USA
57 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
How does this demo end? I got to the factory and couldn't advance. I probably was missing something but I looked at and checked everything I could.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 4:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (11 Years) Donator
I had the same problem when I first tried it. I don't want to give anything away...BUT

be sure you investigate and search things more then once. Just like the conversations....it yields different results.

-Eric

Posted on: 2015/4/24 12:51
Virtual Freak
Joined 2009/4/30
USA
57 Posts
Long Time User (10 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Thanks, I'll give it another try tonight. Also, this demo is AMAZING! I think it's the best game I've played on the virtual boy. I really hope that it gets finished.

Posted on: 2015/4/24 17:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

adler_0 wrote:
How does this demo end? I got to the factory and couldn't advance. I probably was missing something but I looked at and checked everything I could.

The behavior of the game is close to the one of the original.
Basically, you need to investigate specific things (sometimes multiple times). Sometimes you can only investigate things if you looked at other things first. After investigating items you have to look at them so that metal stores them. After that, most of them show up in the inventory (press SELECT). Later in the demo you have to use items from the inventory as well.

If you get stuck you can sent me a PM and I will tell you what you need to do.

The demo will shows credits when you reached the end.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post