Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: [Demo-Release] Snatcher
Posted on: 2015/4/18 20:15
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
833 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
This will be the best homebrew on VB, hands down nothing can compete. I'm sorry but a fighter (Hyper Fighting) game has nothing on a full adventure click'n'play.
Three parts is a cool idea, but if it was possible to own a full cart of a three parts even if limited supply it would be amazing.

Posted on: 2015/4/18 21:13
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
This is what I meant (the green circle in the attached image), that part is not present in the original image, so the converter must have some kind of algorithm to fill in missing pixels. So cool, I am looking forward to read about your tools when you get around to write about them, thunder.

Quote:

VBmills wrote:
Thunder you made the news at retro collect.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/kona ... nintendo-virtual-boy.html

Plus a few dozen other sites following the retrocollect post. :-)

Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
Well, the current demo still fits on a regular flashboy. Since I compressed the music and the images a bit there is still space left for more. We will see how far I can get with that.

What kind of compression did you use? I recently talked about image compression with jorgeche and we came to the conclusive guess that it's not practical on the VB. I'd love to hear how you managed to compress your images. :-)

Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I intend to release the game in 2mb parts as well so that everyone can play it. I will have to see how I do the transition between roms.

That's a great thing to do. You could release the parts one by one, each one when it's done, like an episodic release. Since the FlashBoy Plus' SRAM is not touched by the flasher, each part can simply pick up the savegame of the previous part and continue from there.

Attach file:

png  magic.png (20.32 KB)
1_5532ace2935fc.png 480X128 px

Posted on: 2015/4/18 21:44
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

KR155E wrote:
What kind of compression did you use? I recently talked about image compression with jorgeche and we came to the conclusive guess that it's not practical on the VB. I'd love to hear how you managed to compress your images. :-)

I use a very simple compression for the music. Basically, repeating values are only stored once and are followed by counter that tells me how often to repeat the value. There's a bit more to it but that's the core. It saves 10 - 40% of space. The sound effects usually have the higher compression rates.

The images are a bit tricky as the dialogs are tool generated. To save space I check which images are almost the same (like mika with her eyes open and closed). I then store a main image and sub-images (e.g. only mikas eyes). This makes it difficult to control the amount of chars needed in the char memory as a main image may have many sub-images (harries room for example). So I decided to not store bgmaps and manipulate the charmem directly. Thereby I know exactly how many chars are stored there and the bgmap can simply be generated in code. However, the absence of bgmaps leads to lots of data as the chars are stored for every (sub)-image independent from each other. So what I do is I create one giant charset that contains all the chars for all the images but every char only once. I then create a map (basically like a bgmap) that tells me which char goes where.

So technically I don't compress the images. I just use them in way that saves space and gives me control at the same time.

In theory I could compress the images the same way I do with the music. However, the sub images make this a bit complicated as I have to access the main image when switching from on sub to another. Basically I need to revert the chars that came with the old sub and write the chars that come with the new one in one loop. Handling compression at the same time would make this slow again. There is not enough wram left to store the uncompressed main image in memory.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 2:16
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/7/3
USA
435 Posts
CoderContributorLong Time User (8 Years) App Coder40+ Game Ratings
I find this version of Snatcher by far the best for two reasons. For one it's 3d for another since it's red it allows the user to create the color. The colors in Snatcher the cd game are quite dated but this version the player after a long period of time the player starts to see modern colors. I am wondering are there any plans for battery back up? In closing It just seems that the homebrew is getting better and better. You really cannot call these two last games homebrew at all it's more like something far greater some kind of hybrid.
Edited by morintari on 2015/4/19 2:33

Posted on: 2015/4/19 5:46
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I use a free library that allows the conversion from 2D to 3D images using depth maps.

I'm looking forward to getting more info on that. I tried to find it, to no avail...

I hope I can find the time to try this demo, soon. Does anyone here in North America want to become an apprentice VB display repair technician? (he said, only half-jokingly)

Posted on: 2015/4/19 6:20
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
Does anyone here in North America want to become an apprentice VB display repair technician? (he said, only half-jokingly)

I would love to intern under you. =)

Posted on: 2015/4/19 9:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/7/1
Germany
1109 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) App CoderPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
Quote:

thunderstruck wrote:
I use a free library that allows the conversion from 2D to 3D images using depth maps.

I'm looking forward to getting more info on that. I tried to find it, to no avail...

It is this one: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/2 ... ing-D-Image-from-DepthMap

There is sample project that you can use to try things out. The lib itself is very easy to use. As I said before, I have the best results when the original image is double the size of the target image.

Here is a video that explains how to draw depth maps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVSf22VT1t4

If there's an interest I could polish my current tool to be usable by everyone. It already does the redscale, size scaling and charset conversion. It's just a bit Snatcher specific right now.

Posted on: 2015/4/19 23:54
VB Gamer
Joined 2013/7/5
30 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Gonintendo.com posted this today.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251354-ra ... g-snatcher-to-virtual-boy

Always love to see other sites like gonintendo.com spread the good news about this project.

Posted on: 2015/4/20 3:28
PVB Elite
Joined 2012/7/9
USA
833 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (7 Years) 20+ Game Ratings
Unfortunately all the posters on the topic are saying a lot of hatred for VB. :(

Posted on: 2015/4/20 5:35
VB Gamer
Joined 2013/7/5
30 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
don't worry about that because gonintendo.com is known for having a bunch of immature trolls just posting negative comments since they got nothing better to do.

ANYWAYS, guess who else picked up on the story and is still on the front page?

http://kotaku.com/snatcher-now-on-virtual-boy-1698873665

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post