Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

When will there be a complete home brew game for the public
Posted on: 2015/3/10 7:44
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/1/7
10 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
I know coding is hard especially for vb and I respect anyone a lot who can do it, I seen a lot of homebrew games but I was wondering if there will be a complete game that's sold to the public that's completely orginal, I know virtual fighter is a complete game but the average joe can't have it cause of copyright and so on. I saw one home brew called hunter and it was a 3d free world gta type of idea it looked great even tho it was no where near done I hope a game like that can be produced and boxed, because I sure would buy. I find it very exciting seeing any new virtual boy gameplay, and the ones who produce it should make out with a profit in sales cause there is a demand. I'm still praying for dragon hopper to show up and of nowhere and I think it will eventually but till then we could add to the library of games

Re: When will there be a complete home brew game for the public
Posted on: 2015/3/10 8:00
PVB Elite
Joined 2008/4/26
USA
933 Posts
CoderContributorTop10 PosterHOTY09 3rdLong Time User (11 Years) PVBCC 2010 EntryPVBCC 2013 Entry
You mean like this...
http://www.planetvb.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=391

Posted on: 2015/3/10 9:55
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2511 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Why is it all about money nowadays? I don't get it.

There are dozens of finished homebrew games for the Virtual Boy that you can download for free and play on an emulator or on real hardware with a FlashBoy Plus: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/games/?hg

Here's a list of games that (I think) are finished:

3D Battlesnake
3D Crosswords
Advanced Pasta Cooking Simulator
BLOX
BLOX 2
Castle of Doom
Channel Sweeper
Fishbone
Flappy Cheep Cheep
GameHero
GoSub
GoSub 3D
Hyper Fighting (Demo)
Lights Out
Mario Combat
Real Danger
Simon!
Snowball Wars
Soviet Union 2010
Soviet Union 2011
Super Bounce
Tic Tac Toe
Tic-Tac-Toe 'Ten
Tron
VB Racing
Virtual Pong
VUE Snake

If it's about supporting the authors of these games, just ask them if they accept donations of some kind.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 11:13
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2010/10/22
Sweden
343 Posts
ContributorLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I think he might mean when will there be a full game like how Jack Bros, Wario Land or Red Alarm were full games. With intro, stages, ending, high scores, modes and so on. And that is probably still a ways off, but come on! Homebrews are made by enthusiastic people programming on their spare time, probably without extensive games development education etc. Personally I think it will happen in the future.

(on a related note, I'm making a second Homebrew Showcase video)

Posted on: 2015/3/10 20:41
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/1/7
10 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
Protoman85 that's what I meant and I've heard of fish bone before I just hope more new games are produced like that, I should getting my flashboy in the mail in a few days so I'm excited for that

Posted on: 2015/3/10 22:05
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that financial incentive (and maybe a little teaming up) could encourage more advanced homebrews. There's actually a surprising amount of demand for new VB carts despite the theoretically small number of owners and collectors.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 22:07
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/3/4
USA
29 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
It would be cool to have physically released homebrew games that people are willing to pay $$$ for instead of releasing them as roms for free.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 22:21
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Uh no, what pretty much everyone agreed upon in other threads was compensating homebrewers for their coding efforts, not necessarily the production costs. Group funded homebrews would be awesome, even if they were distributed as ROMs. The flash boy is the most economical distribution method, just get everyone to buy a flash boy and then every homebrew game can be played easily.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 3:37
VB Gamer
Joined 2015/3/4
USA
29 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years)
It might be the most economical/fastest way to get the game distributed, but I know a lot of collectors that would buy the game, physically, just because it's released on a physical medium.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 3:56
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
900 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Johnny365 wrote:
It would be cool to have physically released homebrew games that people are willing to pay $$$ for instead of releasing them as roms for free.

that really isn't homebrew development any longer, it is indy development. that is an entirely different discussion.

having been involved in the homebrew scene of more than a few devices, i can tell you that commercial quality homebrew takes an extremely talented team and a great deal of free time. individuals who work alone can take years to complete their projects, during which the risk of losing interest or changes in real life can delay or conclude development permanently. the idea of a paid project does interest me but you have to consider who are you paying? does this person have the ability to build what you ask for? will they take into account your feedback? can they design a game as well as code its engine? will you feel ripped off if the final product isn't what you had in mind? will you get upset if they never finish the project? will you end up burning a bridge by badgering the developer for your unique vision?

an important thing to keep in mind with the VB is the small user base. most of those who are passionate about this console are here, on this forum. it doesn't have the following of other popular devices which have much more developer interest. it would seem that raising as much awareness as possible would be a wise course of action. also the future possibilities of VB emulators on VR systems and the 3DS may bring more developers over to the VB.

i do feel that a talented team could produce a successful kickstarter if it included a digital tier. however, i also feel the final ROM would need to be FB/FB+ compatible for such a tier to generate sufficient backers. a CIB release is always nice, especially for collectors, but you have to ask yourself how many VB collectors are left? I've watched a great deal of kickstarter campaigns fail simple due to obscurity, even for software on popular systems. While this all seems like a good idea, then you'll additionally need to consider the amount of work that would go into such a campaign. From finding a team, to running the entire campaign, to settling taxes and payouts, to sending off rewards. It would be more than a full time job.

perhaps the best course of action is for those interested in homebrew to learn/do what they can. if you can do pixel art then design characters and seek a coder. if you love coding and have the free time then seek a pixel artist and sound engineer. if you love writing then write the script/design the game, and seek others to help you complete it. team efforts may be the best way to see more commercial quality projects released for the VB.

most importantly you must remember that the VB is an obscure system. regardless of how much you praise it, it isn't remembered fondly. accept the FB/FB+ and the library of released homebrew as positive things, instead of seeing those smaller "games"/demos as a disappointment.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post