Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

64DD.net shut down?
Posted on: 2015/2/21 18:22
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
http://64dd.net/modules/news/

Pretty sad to see them go. After seeing that on the front page I immediately went to Planet Virtual Boy hoping they hadn't shut down either. Both sites share the same page design and structure, so I've always thought of them as brother and sister sites. Are they independent or are they related? Is PVB in danger of shutting down too?

Re: 64DD.net shut down?
Posted on: 2015/2/21 18:38
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Here's your answers: http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... php?topic_id=5963&forum=6

:-)

Posted on: 2015/2/21 19:09
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Ah so that's why I didn't see that, it's over in Feedback (I only browse the VB sections) and it doesn't specifically include 64DD.net in the title. Thanks though.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 4:37
Nintendoid!
Joined 2006/11/16
140 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
And now you place online poker adverts? :P?

Seriously, tho, is there a financing gap?

cYa,

Tauwasser

Posted on: 2015/2/23 13:24
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Quote:

Tauwasser schrieb:
And now you place online poker adverts? :P?

Seriously, tho, is there a financing gap?

There have been a few adverts on the bottom of the frontpage for a while - only visible to not logged in users, though.

Since most people don't even seem to notice these, I think I have chosen a very acceptable way of covering the expenses of running the site. :-) I'd hate any advertising banners.

Lately, though, this way of advertising ("text links") seems to have become less interesting for advertisers. We have only one ad left on the frontpage and one on the games page. Plus that one on 64DD.net of course and the occasional donation from one of our users. All this is still enough to cover a good part of the costs, so no problem.

Posted on: 2015/2/23 13:35
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2011/4/8
Great Britain
417 Posts
Long Time User (8 Years)
I don't have a problem with advertising at all - if it helps run the site, I'm very grateful for it. Ads can also be contextual - eBay, amazon etc. are not that intrusive in my opinion.

Posted on: 2016/7/5 8:45
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
I've been thinking of buying a 64DD, I'm really missing 64DD.net now, it was a great resource. I haven't found a 64DD info source that's comparable. Archive.org has backups of 64DD.net but they are often broken, missing various pages.

Anyone here into 64DD? Know of good sites on it? I suppose on one hand there isn't much to say about it, but I hate waiting, I like to read while I pass the time.

Posted on: 2016/7/8 3:11
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/7/29
111 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years)
If you want to try some titles hands on, the newest Everdrive 64 firmware supports 64DD imgs perfectly.

Posted on: 2016/7/13 11:07
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2013/8/23
USA
301 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Really? I was looking into getting an Everdrive for each system, and was wondering if 64DD's would be supported. That whole thing is confusing to me, there are so many different ED versions. Would the ED 2.5 for the N64 support those games? It's about half the price of the V3.0 so I'm hoping it does.

In response to the original post, I was obsessed with the 64DD back in my young Nintendo Power days. I was very sad when it just kind of flopped before disappearing altogether. I really want to get one myself.

In fact, in preparation for my upcoming Everdrive purchase, I picked up that really nice "capture cassette" that came with the Mario Talent Studio on 64DD. It will look way better than a repro or modded cart IMO, very sleek with just that N64 logo on the front. And with the back being open, I can mod the SD card slot to be accessible without filing away the shell :)

Posted on: 2016/7/14 8:16
Nintendoid!
Joined 2013/3/25
217 Posts
Long Time User (6 Years)
Yes, I really did purchase a 64DD console, so far I have SimCity 64 and Doshin the Giant 1, just watching for additional disks to appear. Of the 10 disks, I just want 6 or 7, depends if Mario Artist: Communication Kit any good. I never thought I'd spend so much on a console. Oh well, it was my only other big want (the other was Neo-Geo).

Even if I had heard before hand that the Everdrive 64 supported 64DD ROMs, I'd be very skeptical of how complete the support is, even just going by the accessories used by 64DD games. I'm the kind of person to want the real deal, even if it's kind of expensive.

Lovethrash, please don't kill a Capture Cassette for an Everdrive 64 shell. 64DD anything is very rare. You should also be aware there's no way you'd be able to use the Capture Cassette using the Everdrive 64 method, they both use the cartridge slot.

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post