Register To Post

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Re: Japanese to English Translations for Unreleased Virtual Boy Games
Posted on: 2015/3/11 2:39
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1154 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Development almost complete? What a shame. Another prototype that needs to surface..

Posted on: 2015/3/11 3:34
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (11 Years) Donator
Really amazed at what Ben is doing here. A true virtual boy fan.

-Eric

Posted on: 2015/3/11 4:05
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
907 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
i agree! this thread is providing a great deal of information. it is wonderful to see that there is still so much information we can add to the site!

Posted on: 2015/3/11 18:49
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
I truly do hope that this thread does provide a lot of new, interesting, and accurate information and that it doesn’t simply show how bored I currently am at my workplace each day. ;-)

Posted on: 2015/3/11 20:18
PVB Elite
Joined 2013/6/17
Canada
1154 Posts
Top10 Poster10+ Game RatingsLong Time User (6 Years)
Well I think you succeeded. This thread is very interesting and informative, bringing to light the details of the unreleased games. I've learned a ton from this thread, so thank Ben. Even if its out of boredom :)

Posted on: 2015/3/12 21:29
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Highscore Top10 1stHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreHighscore Top ScoreCollection Top10Contributor#2 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
English Translations for Page 26 of the 3D Virtual Boy Magazine:

VBに社運をかけています
Putting the Company’s Future into the VB

開発よもやま話
Small Talk on Development

和(開発)部長/藤原茂樹
Development Director: Shigeki Fugiwara

今日の取材で見てもらった『とびだせ!ぱにボン』と『バーティカルフォース』にはまだ入ってないですが、VBは目を休めることを促すオートポーズを最低でも30分に1回は入れなきゃいけないんです。これは、逆に30分を逆手にとった中でどれだけ面白いゲームができるかという部分に主眼を置いて開発しています。
It was already explained during an interview today that, although it is not yet included in “Pop-out! Panic Bomber” or “Vertical Force,” an automatic pause feature must be included in Virtual Boy games to encourage the player to rest his or her eyes at least once every 30 minutes. Conversely, we are developing software by placing focus on the aspect of: To what extent can we make a game interesting, while turning the 30 minutes to our advantage?

VBは昔のハドソンに立ち返ったものを出そうというのがあるんです。遊びやすいソフトというか、説明書がなくてもすぐ遊べるものに仕上げていこうと思っています。
With the Virtual Boy, we are trying to take things back to the old days of Hudson, with software that you can play immediately, even without instructions, and that you want to finish, or perhaps I should say “easy-to-play software.”

[With middle photo]
前の打合せでの疑問点もぶつけてみた
We also asked questions in a previous meeting.

ぼくはVBは子供が買える次世代機だと思っています。だからハードも1万台と安いんだと思ってます。値段のほうはできるだけGBに近いものにするつもりです。VBが売れるか売れないかはソフトの値段や内容によると思います。子供がゲーム離れしているって言われてますよね、最近。うちはキャラバンをやっているので子供たちと接する機会が多いんですが、よく遊ぶゲームを聞いてみると年齢の低い子供ほどシミュレーションがかったRPGや複雑なゲームやってないのを痛感しますね。
I think that the Virtual Boy is going to be the next-generation machine that a child can buy, so I think that the hardware itself is going to be cheap with tens of thousands of units available. The price is going to be as close as possible to that of the Game Boy. I think that whether or not the Virtual Boy sells well will, therefore, depend on the price and content of the software. Nowadays, it’s said that children are getting away from gaming. Well, we often have opportunities to be in contact with children as we are doing caravans, and after inquiring into the games that are frequently played by lower-aged children, we feel strongly about not doing RPGs with simulation elements or complex games.

ゲーム作りからいうと、VBが立体であるということは時が熟せばゲーム性自体を大きく変えると思っています。SFCではごきないゲーム性ってやつですね。VBだってポリゴンやろうと思えば一応できますし。でも、正直なところ、なにをどう描けば、どう立体的に見えるかということを完全に把握していない状況なんですよ。絵を描いてみてはVBをのぞいて確認して…って感じです。同じ位置でも暗い色にしたほうが奥に見えるとか、発見もいくつかあっていい経験になってます。
From a game-making standpoint, since Virtual Boy games will be stereoscopic, I believe it’s the right time for the natures of the games to change significantly. There can now be game characteristics that cannot be in Super Famicom games. If one wants to use polygons, the Virtual Boy is made for that. But to be honest, when I am drawing something, there are situations where I don’t fully grasp how it will appear three-dimensionally, so when I’m trying to draw something, I review the drawing while looking into the Virtual Boy... to get an impression of it. It’s been an experience for me, and I’ve also discovered a few things, such as when two objects are in the same position, it is better to have the one that is a darker color appear behind the other.

GBのときも賛否両論ありましたけど、逆に、いろいろ言われるのはそれだけ注目度があるからだと私は考えています。うちの社長もVBはビジネスチャンスだと言ってますし、なによりあんなハードを作れるのは任天堂さんしかいないと思います。ハドソンはVBに社運をかけていると言っても過言じゃないって感じですね。
Although there were pros and cons even at the time of the Game Boy, at the same time, there was a lot to be said about it, and I believe that’s why it got all the more attention. Even our company president has said that the Virtual Boy is a business opportunity, and I think that Nintendo is the best of all at being able to make such hardware. As for Hudson, it feels that it is not too much to say that the company’s future is being put into the Virtual Boy.

カラーのスーパーVB…ですか? 技術的には現在でも可能だと思いますけど、コストと色数が多いということで問題があるんじゃないんですかね。でも、可能性はあると思いますよ。
Will there be a Super Virtual Boy with color...? Though I think it’s technically possible even now, there would probably be too many problems with the costs and the number of colors. However, I think there is a possibility.

[With bottom photo]
VBが立体に見えるしくみを身振り手振りで教えてくれた
He explained to us, while gesturing, how the Virtual Boy makes things look three-dimensional.

Attach file:

png  3D Virtual Boy Magazine - Page 26.png (6,668.98 KB)
1643_5501f70e41cd1.png 1541X2159 px

jpg  Hudson.jpg (4,504.87 KB)
1643_5501f71d3b7f3.jpg 2979X4167 px

Posted on: 2015/3/13 20:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
A Note from Ben:

First of all, I would like to give a special thanks to a certain Michele for bringing this article to my attention.

Since each fiscal year in Japan runs from April 1st of one year to March 31st of the following year and since the Virtual Boy was released in Japan on July 21, 1995 and was later discontinued in both Japan and North America before March 31, 1996, the following chart contains the total number of Virtual Boy shipments ever. Now, “万台” in Japanese represents 10,000 units, so as you are looking at the chart, in order to determine the number of units shipped for each game console as of a particular date, simply add 4 zeros to the first number preceding “万台” for the respective system, in order to determine the total number of units shipped as of the end of March, 1995 (the color of the bar on the chart for the number of units shipped as of this date matches the system’s bar color on the left side of the chart), and add 4 zeros to the second number preceding “万台” for the respective system to determine the total number of units shipped as of the end of March, 1996 (the color of the bar for additional units shipped from April 1, 1995 to March 31, 1996 is always red for each system).

Based on the data, we can see that a grand total of about 140,000 Virtual Boy systems were shipped within Japan, and a grand total of about 630,000 Virtual Boy systems were shipped outside of Japan, as per the data given straight from Nintendo itself. Now, this does not necessarily mean that a total of about 770,000 different Virtual Boy systems were ever made and shipped, for as we have discovered in the forum threads relating to Virtual Boy serial numbers, there were a lot of systems that were originally made to be sold in Japan and that, therefore, originally received Japanese serial numbers, but these systems were later given a North American serial number, which was simply stuck over the original Japanese one, and then shipped outside of Japan. Thus, since I conclude that the data in this chart probably contains a certain number of Virtual Boy units that are counted twice, once for the Japanese section and then again for the foreign countries’ section since they got double-stickered, we would still have to determine just about how many Virtual Boys were given two serial numbers, if we want to get a better approximation for the total number of Virtual Boys ever made and distributed for commercial sale.

Incidentally, it should come as no surprise that the Virtual Boy is not included in the article’s photo of game systems.

English Translations for Page 8 of Famitsu Magazine Issue # 392, dated June 21, 1996:

お待たせしました!
ハードの出荷台数調査
THE WAIT IS OVER!
HARDWARE SHIPMENTS SURVEY

みんな注目!今週は’96年3月末現在の、各ゲームマシンの累計出荷台数を発表するぞ!! 下のグラフは、各社が公表した数字をまとめたもので、’95年3月末と’96年3月末を比較しているのだ。ただし、ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメント(SCE)のプレイステーションに関しては、年度末での出荷台数が公表されていないので、これまで発表された数字から割り出した、編集部独自の予測値だ。
Attention everyone! This week, we are announcing the total number of shipments of each game machine, which is current as of the end of March, 1996. The chart below summarizes the numbers issued by each company, and it also compares the figures as of the end of March, 1995 with the figures as of the end of March, 1996. However, with regard to the PlayStation of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. (SCE), because the number of shipments at the end of the fiscal year has not been released, the number provided below is our editorial department’s own estimate, which was derived from the numbers released so far.

また、サターンの累計出荷台数が、5月29日現在で300万台の大台を突破した、とセガが発表したぞ。
In addition, Sega announced that the total number of shipments of the Saturn topped the milestone of 3 million units as of May 29th of this year.

昨年度、国内でいちばん出荷が多かったのは、 何と言ってもスーパーファミコン。それをサターンとプレイステーションが追いかけている。その後をいくのがゲームボーイだ。7月にはゲームボーイポケットが発売されるから、今年も台数を伸ばすかもね。
Last fiscal year, after all was said and done, the Super Famicom had the most shipments within Japan. The Saturn and the PlayStation are chasing it, and after them comes the Game Boy. Since the Game Boy Pocket will be released in July, it might increase the number this year.

6月23日にはニンテンドウ64が発売されて、ハードの多様化はますます進んでいく。さて、来年にはいったいどんな数字が出てくるんだろうか。
On June 23rd, the Nintendo 64 is going to be released, and the diversification of hardware will progress more and more. Now, just what kind of numbers will come out in the next year?

[With photo of systems]
国内外のマシンを一堂に集めたぞ。これだけのマシンをそろえている人なんて……ひょっとして、いる?
Domestic and foreign machines are brought together. Are you, by any chance, a person who has collected this many machines?

このグラフは、’95年3月末と’96年3月末の各ハードの累計出荷台数を比較したもの。上段が国内、下段は海外のハード ※ 1 NECホームエレクトロニクスの略。※ 2 ソニー・コンピュータエンタテインメントの略。※ 3 松下電器と三洋電機。※ 4 PCエンジンDuoシリーズを含む。 ※ 5 ‘94年12月末の出荷台数と毎週の生産量から出した予測値。※ 6 ‘95年12月末の出荷台数と今年5月15日現在の出荷台数から出した予測値。※ 7 リアルとトライの合計。 ※ 8 海外版ファミコン。※ 9 海外版スーパーファミコン。 ※ 10 ジェネシスは北米版メガドライブ。※ 11 セガCDは北米版メガ-CD。
This chart compares the total number of units shipped for each hardware as of the end of March, 1995 with the total number as of the end of March, 1996. The upper section shows domestic hardware shipments, and the lower section shows foreign hardware shipments.
*1 – Stands for NEC Home Electronics
*2 – Stands for Sony Computer Entertainment
*3 – Matsushita and Sanyo
*4 – Includes the PC Engine Duo series
*5 – This is an estimate made from the number of units shipped as of the end of December, 1994 and weekly production amounts
*6 – This is an estimate made from the number of units shipped as of the end of December, 1995 and the number of units shipped as of May 15th of this year.
*7 – Equals the sum of R.E.A.L. and TRY units
*8 – Overseas version of the Famicom
*9 – Overseas version of the Super Famicom
*10 – The Genesis is the North American version of the Mega Drive
*11 – The Sega CD is the North American version of the Mega-CD

Attach file:

png  Article Showing Total Virtual Boys Shipped.png (5,429.69 KB)
1643_55034043c11dd.png 1558X1956 px

jpg  Famitsu Magazine Issue _ 392, dated 6-21-1996, Page 8.jpg (1,103.08 KB)
1643_5503406a3eefb.jpg 2437X3059 px

jpg  Famitsu Magazine Issue _ 392 (Cover Page).jpg (1,157.92 KB)
1643_5503407781720.jpg 2436X3067 px

Posted on: 2015/3/13 22:19
Administrator
Joined 2000/1/8
Germany
2515 Posts
Highscore Top10Highscore Top ScoreCoder#1 PosterHOTY09 1stLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder90+ Game Ratings
Ah! It's great to finally have a source for the shipment numbers.

Also, Flying Henry sounds pretty fun. Interesting to see that it was so far into development.

Thanks again Ben, the boredom of your workplace really is a blessing!

English Translations 3D Virtual Boy Magazine Article on Faceball
Posted on: 2015/3/16 21:19
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
English Translations for Page 31 of the 3D Virtual Boy Magazine:

VBでも定番リフトを目指しています!
Aiming at another lift of a classic with the VB!

開発よもやま話
Small Talk on
Development

広報/田中出穂
Public Relations:
Tanaka Shutsuho

老若男女を問わず、万人にウケるゲームということでまずは『テトリス』を出すことにしました。シンプルさゆえの楽しさを尊重するため、基本的には元のゲームを活かしたものとなっています。VBらしさ、ということで最も気をつかったのは、今までのハードでは感じることができなかった「空間」を作りだすことです。さまざまな表現や演出によって、新しい『テトリス』の世界を感じていただけるのではないでしょうか。
First of all, it’s been decided to publish a new “Tetris” game, that is to say, a game that will appeal to tens of thousands of people, regardless of age or gender. Basically, it will be something that will make use of the original game, in order to respect the joy of simplicity. To make it appropriate for the Virtual Boy, the utmost care has been taken to create a sense of space, which could not be experienced using any hardware until now. The new world of “Tetris” should be able to be felt by the player on account of the variety of presentations and setups within the game.

通信ケーブルへの対応や、各ゲームモードの内容はまだハッキリと決まっていないんですが、現在本体と同時発売を目指して鋭意開発中です。価格は5000円を目標にしています。
The content of each game mode and whether or not it will support the link cable have not yet been clearly decided, but it is extensively under development, with the goal of being released at the same time as the console. The goal price is set at 5,000 Yen.

『V-テトリス』の後は、『フェイスボール(仮称)』というシューティングゲームを発売する予定になっています。これは3Dの迷路の中をニコニコした顔のついたボールが動き回って、弾を撃ち合うゲームなんです。詳しい内容は7月くらいまで待ってください。
After "V-Tetris," there are plans to release a shooting game called "Faceball (tentative title)". This will be a game where you move around and shoot bullets within a 3-D maze as a ball with a smiling face. Please wait until around July for more details.

[With the drawing]
『フェイスボール(仮称)』の想像図
An artist’s depiction of “Faceball (tentative title)”

Attach file:

png  3D Virtual Boy Magazine Article on Faceball.png (7,274.81 KB)
1643_55073ab409e1a.png 1555X2160 px

jpg  BPS.jpg (3,932.40 KB)
1643_55073ac1787cc.jpg 3005X4171 px

English Translations for the Release Calendar Page of the 3D Virtual Boy Magazine:
Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:54
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/4/27
USA
2291 Posts
Ben’s Question to Anyone Reading This:
Does anybody know for sure what “ITC” stands for? Based on the information below, it appears that ITC was a video game company that had actually begun working on a Virtual Boy game of some sort.

English Translations for the Release Calendar Page of the 3D Virtual Boy Magazine:

- - - - - English Translations Only - - - - -

ASKING THE MANUFACTURERS!! VIRTUAL BOY QUESTIONNAIRE

What manufacturers are making software for the Virtual Boy? What kind of software is being made for the Virtual Boy? We asked these simple questions.

Q: Who all have entered the Virtual Boy market?

A: The number of manufacturers that responded as having clearly entered the Virtual Boy market is surprisingly small. Still, some said they are waiting and watching.

■Companies That Have Entered the Market (16 Companies)
ITC
I'MAX
Asmik
Atlus
Coconuts Japan Entertainment
J-Wing
Pow
Vap
Hudson
Banpresto
Bullet-Proof Software
Hect
Bottom Up
Right Stuff
2 Other Companies

■Companies That Are Planning for Entry into the Market (9 Companies)
Epoch
Angel
Naxat
Namco
Bandai
3 Other Companies
(Translator’s Note: This should probably read as “4 Other Companies,” or else it should read as “8 Companies” in the heading. As translator, though, I must leave the original error intact.)

■Companies That Are Not Planning for Entry into the Market (5 Companies)

■Companies That Are Considering Entry into the Market (11 Companies)
Activision Japan
Enix
Square
Starfish
Tokuma Shoten
Magifact
Messiah
4 Other Companies

- - - - - Japanese Originals and English Translations - - - - -

メーカー直撃!! バーチャルボーイアンケート
Asking the Manufacturers!! Virtual Boy Questionnaire

どこのメーカーがVBのソフトを作っているのか、どのような思いでVBのソフトを作っているのか…。素朴な疑問をぶつけてみたぞ。
What manufacturers are making software for the Virtual Boy? What kind of software is being made for the Virtual Boy? We asked these simple questions.

VBに参入していますか
Who all have entered the Virtual Boy market?

ハッキリとVBに参入していると答えたメーカーは意外と少ない。まだ様子見、といったところ。
The number of manufacturers that responded as having clearly entered the Virtual Boy market is surprisingly small. Still, some said they are waiting and watching.

■参入している(16社) = Companies That Have Entered the Market (16 Companies)
ITC = ITC
アイマックス = I'MAX
アスミック = Asmik
アトラス = Atlus
ココナッツジャパン エンターテインメント = Coconuts Japan Entertainment
Jウイング = J-Wing
POW = Pow
バップ = Vap
ハドソン = Hudson
バンプレスト = Banpresto
BPS = Bullet-Proof Software
ヘクト = Hect
ボトムアップ = Bottom Up
ライトスタッフ = Right Stuff
他2社 = 2 Other Companies

■参入予定(9社) = Companies That Are Planning for Entry into the Market (9 Companies)
エポック社 = Epoch
エンジェル = Angel
ナグザット = Naxat
ナムコ = Namco
バンダイ = Bandai
他3社 = 3 Other Companies
(Translator’s Note: This should probably read as “4 Other Companies,” or else it should read as “8 Companies” in the heading. As translator, though, I must leave the original error intact.)

■参入予定なし(5社) = Companies That Are Not Planning for Entry into the Market (5 Companies)

■検討中(11社) = Companies That Are Considering Entry into the Market (11 Companies)
アクティビジョン ジャパン = Activision Japan
エニックス = Enix
スクウェア = Square
スターフィッシュ = Starfish
徳間書店 = Tokuma Shoten
マジファクト = Magifact
メサイヤ = Messiah
他4社 = 4 Other Companies

Attach file:

jpg  Release Forecast.jpg (4,753.79 KB)
1643_5508402e340db.jpg 2909X4165 px

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic