PVB Elite
Joined 2014/6/4
USA
572 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)20+ Game Ratings
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:
Sorted now.

My good friend Eric (bigmak) is sending one of his and I'll square it with him later.

I did look at micro USB, but they all seem to be surface mount. I like a thru-hole mount for added strength.

AAMOI this batch is a revised board. I managed to fix the comms glitch (so now any length USB cable can be used).

I can't thank you and Eric enough. You both went beyond what I would have expected in terms of helping me out. You both are stellar! Sorry I couldn't have this be a simple fix but instead had to bother you about it.

Re: Flashboy+ Connection Issue
Posted on: 2014/10/10 23:08
Nintendoid!
Joined 2014/1/3
USA
168 Posts
Long Time User (5 Years)40+ Game Ratings
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:

AAMOI this batch is a revised board. I managed to fix the comms glitch (so now any length USB cable can be used).

Not to go off topic but, is this the new PCB with the 2 8mb chips?

Posted on: 2014/10/10 23:48
PVB Elite
Joined 2007/10/26
USA
757 Posts
ContributorTop10 PosterLong Time User (11 Years) Donator
Actually i'm sending you the 'pink nightmare'..it's a rather famous flashboy. It has special powers : if you stare at it long enough and close your eyes..you can still see it.

-Eric

Posted on: 2014/10/10 23:52
PVB Elite
Joined 2011/3/10
USA
907 Posts
Top10 PosterLong Time User (8 Years) 30+ Game Ratings
Quote:

MineStorm wrote:

this batch is a revised board. I managed to fix the comms glitch (so now any length USB cable can be used).

while we are helping FB+ owners debug, is it safe to tell them that if their FB+ was ordered after September 2014 that they should not experience the USB cable phenomenon?

Posted on: 2014/10/12 13:21
VUE(xpert)
Joined 2007/7/28
Great Britain
336 Posts
Long Time User (12 Years) App Coder
Quote:
Not to go off topic but, is this the new PCB with the 2 8mb chips?

No, that was a ROM board for Hyper Fighter (and other 32MBit games).

Quote:
is it safe to tell them that if their FB+ was ordered after September 2014 that they should not experience the USB cable phenomenon?

Correct.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 1:03
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1465 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Is there any possibility that those of us with some soldering skill could modify our older FB+ to alleviate some of the connection issues? Maybe if you explain what the problem is, we could come up with something ourselves. Unless, of course, it would require a firmware update, or something (which is still doable, but probably not very practical).

Also, Re: the through-hole vs. SMT USB connectors: My last two cellphones have had micro-b ports. My current one alone has been cycled much more than my FB+ has, and I even use my phone a lot while it's plugged in. Neither phone even shows signs of loosening, much less coming off of the board.

I think it mainly comes down to the quality of the parts you use, and making sure they're soldered properly. There's also the "human factor" of how roughly people handle them. I'd say that, 99 times out of 100, FB+ owners are probably going to treat their carts and cables with better-than-average care.

I fully understand and accept your decision, but you may still want to prepare for the day when TH mini-b's vanish from the market altogether...

Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic

Register To Post