You are not logged in.
Lost Password?


Register To Post



 Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic

#1
Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/9/29 21:32
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/8/31
USA
83 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years) App Coder
Unfortunately, my attempts at VBdev may have come to a screeching halt effective this morning for the time being- either my laptop or hard drive (seems to be the latter, as I'm typing this from my laptop on a different system) has decided to go kaput, and I cannot reliably boot into it.

Right now, I'm backing up everything I can, fearing the worst. There is a possibility that I'll be going back to Unix full time.

So, on that note- has there been any attempt to use the FlashBoy from a Linux system, as well as compile gccVB on Linux? Has anyone attempted to port the ROM padder so FlashBoy will accept the ROM (Linux)?

Does anyone have any starting points? If this is not currently feasible, then for the time being, I'll have to put VB dev on hold.

Fun while it lasted, but this is beyond my control :/.
Top

#2
Re: Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/9/29 23:11
Nintendoid!
Joined 2012/8/5
USA
117 Posts
CoderLong Time User (7 Years) PVBCC 2013 3rd
I have developed everything on Linux however I've been lazy and cheated a bit. I just use wine with VBDE and it basically runs without any issues however as I noted in other posts for whatever reason I can't get the optimization parameters for gcc to work on the version packaged with VBDE. I setup the older version on a windows virtual machine running on virtual box and installed cygwin and it runs just fine as well. I tried compiling natively once but ended up with errors I just couldn't figure out and since I have it working using work arounds I wasn't going to delve into it any further.
Top

#3
Re: Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/9/30 0:10
PVB Elite
Joined 2003/7/26
USA
1464 Posts
PVBCC EntryCoderContributorSpecial AchievementTop10 PosterHOTY09 EntryLong Time User (15 Years) App Coder20+ Game RatingsPVBCC 2013 Entry
Quote:

cr1901 wrote:
[...] my [...] hard drive [...] decided to go kaput, and I cannot reliably boot into it. [...] There is a possibility that I'll be going back to Unix full time.
[...]
Fun while it lasted, but this is beyond my control :/.


I don't get it... are you trying to say that Windows ruined your HDD? If you're going to get a new drive to install Linux on, can you not just as easily reinstall Windows (and the VB dev tools) to it, as well? None of this sounds "beyond your control" to me, so I must be missing something.
Top

#4
Re: Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/9/30 0:29
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/8/31
USA
83 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years) App Coder
Quote:

RunnerPack wrote:
Quote:

cr1901 wrote:
[...] my [...] hard drive [...] decided to go kaput, and I cannot reliably boot into it. [...] There is a possibility that I'll be going back to Unix full time.
[...]
Fun while it lasted, but this is beyond my control :/.


I don't get it... are you trying to say that Windows ruined your HDD? If you're going to get a new drive to install Linux on, can you not just as easily reinstall Windows (and the VB dev tools) to it, as well? None of this sounds "beyond your control" to me, so I must be missing something.
I left out some details, but in the worst case, I will have to send out my laptop for repairs- the last time I did that, it took me a month to get everything back to normal prior to my hw issues.

It's less of an issue of reinstalling everything and more that "real life doesn't stop because my laptop is busted." Also, I had a number of things fine-tuned for my UI that chances are will be lost, and will have to do intense Googling to figure out again :P.

I have spare Linux hard drives, so there's no need for an adjustment period- I tuned them/set them up for my preferred use a long time ago :P.

TLDR; I just expect to be busy- and this really wasn't something I needed to break my concentration writing code.
Top

#5
Re: Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/9/30 4:55
Nintendoid!
Joined 2007/12/14
169 Posts
CoderLong Time User (11 Years) App Coder
I've built gccVB 4 under OS X, both PPC and Intel, and combined with Eclipse is how I do all my VB development. The FlashBoy software though is relegated to a PC with I believe a flaky motherboard, so I'll have to find a solution for that one of these days. As far as I know the FlashBoy software is Windows-only, so you'd either have to use WINE/CrossOver or write one yourself-- seems somebody has figured out the protocol... http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... ost_id=8666#forumpost8666 ...
Top

#6
Re: Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/10/3 23:57
Virtual Freak
Joined 2014/8/31
USA
83 Posts
Long Time User (4 Years) App Coder
Quote:

blitter wrote:
I've built gccVB 4 under OS X, both PPC and Intel, and combined with Eclipse is how I do all my VB development. The FlashBoy software though is relegated to a PC with I believe a flaky motherboard, so I'll have to find a solution for that one of these days. As far as I know the FlashBoy software is Windows-only, so you'd either have to use WINE/CrossOver or write one yourself-- seems somebody has figured out the protocol... http://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb ... ost_id=8666#forumpost8666 ...
Has anyone gotten FlashBoy to work using WINE/CrossOver?

In any case, I suppose it doesn't matter- system board was replaced, and now my setup is back to pre-failure state. Lenovo worked incredibly fast o.0;- failure to fixed in 4 days- I'm impressed.
Top

#7
Re: Linux Support
Posted on: 2014/10/18 11:57
VB Gamer
Joined 2012/4/28
25 Posts
Long Time User (7 Years)
blitter,
I'd like to hear how you compiled gccvb4 in Mac OS X. I have all three systems in my house. On my Linux computer I use Wine and VBDE. I'd like to be able to compile gccvb4 in Linux at some point, but knowing how to do it on a Mac would be excellent too.
Top

 Top   Previous Topic   Next Topic


Register To Post